DISCONET: wat it dew?

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
So, since it seems to have been lost in the weekend finds thread, I came up on a bunch of disconet 12's over the weekend. Found the double D and steinski ones and a few other good ones, but since there's about a crate of these things at a spot, can anyone shed any light on which other disconet 12's are

Comments

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    Someone in the sales section of SS has been ebaying them for a while, check out his auctions (and completed items).

ABBA 12" was $$$.

• There's one with a mix of a Plastic Bertrand track.. I think it's called "Stop (Encore)" and its totally different from the original. The vocals are annoying as hell but its still a good listen if you like that sort of thing. (There's also a Banarama track on there that (gasp) is pretty good.) Seriously.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Someone in the sales section of SS has been ebaying them for a while, check out his auctions (and completed items).

ABBA 12" was $$$.

Yeah I did that, although I didn't know the seller was a strutter. I got the Abba one so here's hoping someone wants to pay me good money for it.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    so are you only interested in what disconets are worth money or which ones are good?
    the first three years of disconets are usually worth something...not always big money though. they usually come in disconet sleeves and the labels look different...and they are usually actual disco tracks on the record...and mostly they are just megamixes not so much remixes.
    as the 80s progress the disconets become more remixes and they start having a lot of italo and euro disco on them.
    which ones are good all depends on your taste in disco i guess.
    i'd love to find the one with "stop ou encore"!!!
    some of my faves are the one with Chaz Jankel "Glad to Know You"...it's a pretty great remix...it was even featured on the dave mancuso loft compilation.
    i also dig the one with Charlie "spacer woman", magnifique "magnifique", tantra "a place called tarot"

ps...judging by what you found...you got a lot of the good disconets from the prime years (1983/84)
    the steinski's are definitely some of the bigger money ones.

• I love that Plastic Bertrand track, but damn that dude's voice is unbearable! It would be a great one for a re-edit. If I ever get my shit together and start playing around on the computer that'll be one of the first tracks I mess around with.

i have an mp3 of it...i can do a quick edit
    but i like the female vox on it

• I'll try to burn the remix and post it for you. The two versions could work well together. And yeah the female vocals are cool. I vaguely remember someone telling me that Plastic Bertrand was intended as a novelty act or something.

sorry!

• Who did the remixes / mastermixes for these releases? Was it a dj-pool thing only? Where the tracks licensed or was it promos for sale type thing?

Peace,

Dress

• nosawanosawa 89 Posts
    i have an mp3 of it...i can do a quick edit
    but i like the female vox on it

Coincidentally, here's one I made a couple of years back...

• Nice one, thanks!

• Nobody wants to drop some knowledge on this label?

Thanks in advance.

Peace,

Dress

• nosawanosawa 89 Posts
    Nobody wants to drop some knowledge on this label?

Thanks in advance.

Peace,

Dress

This should cover most questions you might have...

History of Disconet

• Thats what Im talking about.

Thanks,

Dress

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Damn yo, I've passed on these for years because they look like some janky Pickwick label shit. Only the past year I found out some can be worth something. I wonder if I really missed the boat or not...

• nosawanosawa 89 Posts
    So, since it seems to have been lost in the weekend finds thread, I came up on a bunch of disconet 12's over the weekend. Found the double D and steinski ones and a few other good ones, but since there's about a crate of these things at a spot, can anyone shed any light on which other disconet 12's are

A couple more to look out for, apart from those others have mentioned:

Disconet Volume 2, Number 9, 1979 Diana Ross 'Love Hangover' remix ( background )

Disconet Volume 3, Program 8, 1980 DC La Rue 'Cathedrals' Dance Hall Mix by Steven Von Blau 10.55mins

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Thanks heaps guys. I had a vauge understanding of disconet, but this has all been really helpful. I did look through them all and had a listen to those that looked interesting, but I feel like I probably left a fair few interesting ones there so I'm gonna go back and pick some more up.