the name of the band meant everything....

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
this was going to be a "The Birds" appreciation post:as this is one of the most killer British rock records to ever be released...but apparently putting a record out the same year as the US Byrds broke with "Tambourine Man" was a bad move...any other examples of a bad choice of name inhibiting success?

Comments

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    One of my college roomies was in a band called "The Fix." They had to change their name once "The Fixx" hit it big (and y'all know how long that lasted!).

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    There were two different bands from L.A. named "the Knack" who recorded for Capitol Records, about 12 years apart. But since the 1960's Knack never broke big, the "My Sharona" guys went ahead and became famous for it (although I seem to vaguely remember one of the original guys suing either the label or the second band??).

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts

If your band name is Goblin Cock, success is out of the question. You should expect you'll be confined to the metal indie-label ghetto forever.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    I know there's this guy called George T. Clinton he was in a funk band in the 70's too but can't remember the name of the group. If my memory's good the cover of the record is a broken egg with a blue background...

• If your band name is Goblin Cock, success is out of the question. You should expect you'll be confined to the metal indie-label ghetto forever.

Hey, if the Butthole Surfers could hit it big then Goblin Cock could someday too.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I know there's this guy called George T. Clinton he was in a funk band in the 70's too but can't remember the name of the group. If my memory's good the cover of the record is a broken egg with a blue background...

He also has one with a moon footprint on the cover that looks like some kind of lost P-Funk masterpiece.

the name of the label means everything too.

did the rap Sugarhill and the bluegrass Sugarhill sign a peace treaty? since both still coexist?

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts

He also has one with a moon footprint on the cover that looks like some kind of lost P-Funk masterpiece.
    that might be it...I tried googling that and all I found was some composer named George S. Clinton.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    There were two different bands from L.A. named "the Knack" who recorded for Capitol Records, about 12 years apart. But since the 1960's Knack never broke big, the "My Sharona" guys went ahead and became famous for it (although I seem to vaguely remember one of the original guys suing either the label or the second band??).

To add to the confusion, Capitol released a few of the late-70's Knack
    45's using retro-60's labels, so it can be hard to tell the 60's band's
    releases from the later one's apart. The 60's Knack 45's are quite good.

To add to the confusion, Capitol released a few of the late-70's Knack
    45's using retro-60's labels, so it can be hard to tell the 60's band's
    releases from the later one's apart.

Not really. The label design may have been the same, but the font is a dead giveaway.

Other band names that might have inhibited success...well, the Babys were successful anyway, but I think John Waite once said that their name may have prevented people from taking them seriously. (Which I doubt - "the Babys" sounds about right for a band who sounded like Foreigner meets the Raspberries.)

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

did the rap Sugarhill and the bluegrass Sugarhill sign a peace treaty? since both still coexist?

I often wondered about that. I think both labels had a hard time trying to figure out if there name was Sugarhill, SugarHill or Sugar Hill. At any rate i always had trouble with that.

I think there are a lot of examples of 80s bands having the same name as 60s bands. Even though I can't name one.

There was a band I liked here locally in the early 80s. They used to play rock/country and swing. They were called Seafood Mama. They cut their hair and put on skinny ties and recorded a song called Harden My Heart. Got signed (Geffen I think). The label said no way to their name. Would Quarterflash have as many records in the dollar bin today if they had stuck with Seafood Mama?

I often wondered about that. I think both labels had a hard time trying to figure out if there name was Sugarhill, SugarHill or Sugar Hill. At any rate i always had trouble with that.

Even though everybody writes Sugarhill, the logos of both labels clearly say Sugar Hill. Only reason I wrote it as one word is because everybody else does.

I think there are a lot of examples of 80s bands having the same name as 60s bands.

That's likely why the Charlatans were known in the States as the Charlatans UK. For an 1960's American band from the San Francisco scene who remained obscure, I am impressed that the '80s Charlatans STILL had to add that UK to their name.

There was a band I liked here locally in the early 80s. They used to play rock/country and swing. They were called Seafood Mama. They cut their hair and put on skinny ties and recorded a song called Harden My Heart. Got signed (Geffen I think). The label said no way to their name. Would Quarterflash have as many records in the dollar bin today if they had stuck with Seafood Mama?

Considering the mainstream arena rock they did when they got big, a name like Seafood Mama wouldn't have fit.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Wow. Classy.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    THere are so many bands with stupid names selling stupid amounts of records. I always thought the Flying Burrito Bros was a terrible name that couldn't have helped their country rock cause.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    THere are so many bands with stupid names selling stupid amounts of records. I always thought the Flying Burrito Bros was a terrible name that couldn't have helped their country rock cause.

I don't think it impaired their success at all... the International Submarine Band, on the other hand...

the International Submarine Band, on the other hand...

No, they never made it, but I'll give 'em points for partially naming themselves after a fictional kiddie jug band in a Little Rascals flick (the International Silverscreen Submarine Band).

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I'm surprised the Bourbon Tabernacle Choir never took off. Kathleen Turner Overdrive too...shame

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

I'm pretty sure they first recorded "Harden My Heart" while still called Seafood Mama. Wasn't it the b-side to their "City of Roses" 45?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

I'm pretty sure they first recorded "Harden My Heart" while still called Seafood Mama. Wasn't it the b-side to their "City of Roses" 45?

true.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Right. Absolutely recorded it as Seafood Mama. I think it was the A side. They gave lots of 45s away at shows. The picture sleeve had the request # for the local radio stations so you could call up and request Harden My Heart, or City Of Roses, but I don't remember that song. It received lots of airplay between Eugene and Vancouver. They rerecorded it when they signed. The big label version never sounded any different to me on the surface.

The rest of the story is very classic. Label gave them a big time producer and studio. Producer said lets use a studio drummer for this song. The band revolted against the producer and walked out, which just left Marv and Rindy Ross, who were writing the songs, singing and playing sax and guitar. Finished the lp with studio musicians. Even though they had a string of hits, the label refused to release the last album they delivered, and refused to release them from their contract. So they couldn't sign with another label. One guy in the group, who played guitar, trumpet and fiddle went on to work with the Clamtones/Rounders of Holy Modal Rounders fame. The bass and drummer I imagine found day jobs.

I talked to Marv and Rindy last summer. Very nice folks. They did a tour of North Korea with a friend of mine who invited me over for a slide show.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    They did a tour of North Korea with a friend of mine who invited me over for a slide show.

that sounds waxidermic

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I'm surprised the Bourbon Tabernacle Choir never took off. Kathleen Turner Overdrive too...shame

And my favorite the ill fated REO SPEED DEALER

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

or my fav band that never was: GRAND FUCK RAILROAD

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

or my fav band that never was: GRAND FUCK RAILROAD

BUTTSWEAT AND TEARS