TROUBLE FUNK: Question...

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
My copy of Trouble Funk's Sugarhill LP is a promo white label, but comes in a blank white sleeve with a center hole, as if it were a 12" single.Does anyone know for sure if promos of this LP were actually distributed this way?(BTW, this post was inspired by visiting a store where there were several sealed copies of gospel albums in blank white 12" sleeves. Didn't know there were that many small-level gospel groups in the 1980's who couldn't afford to print up actual covers for their records.)

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

(BTW, this post was inspired by visiting a store where there were several sealed copies of gospel albums in blank white 12" sleeves. Didn't know there were that many small-level gospel groups in the 1980's who couldn't afford to print up actual covers for their records.)

Were you out shopping with Luck?

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    i'm gonna have to say yes on the distro tip my friend.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

(BTW, this post was inspired by visiting a store where there were several sealed copies of gospel albums in blank white 12" sleeves. Didn't know there were that many small-level gospel groups in the 1980's who couldn't afford to print up actual covers for their records.)

Were you out shopping with Luck?

Yeah, I was. And no, I didn't see an alternate copy of that gospel LP he found, although I did find a mess of other gospel records (including a Windy City Four album packaged in a 12" sleeve just like that Trouble Funk promo), plus secular Chess singles by the Natural Four and the TNJ's.

i'm gonna have to say yes on the distro tip my friend.

Cool, thanks. Better Sugarhill distributed it that way than have somebody stash it in a 12" sleeve years after the fact.

• My copy of Trouble Funk's Sugarhill LP is a promo white label, but comes in a blank white sleeve with a center hole, as if it were a 12" single.

Does anyone know for sure if promos of this LP were actually distributed this way?

My white label copy came in a Sugarhill sleeve, but who knows. I also got it second hand.

*edit* wait, you are talking about white label with all of the usual Sugarhill artwork and info, correct?

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    i mean, i've seen both actual promo white label TF from sugar hill, and ones that got thrown in to other sleeves by careless dj's. other ones i remember seeing like that were the sequence.

My copy of Trouble Funk's Sugarhill LP is a promo white label, but comes in a blank white sleeve with a center hole, as if it were a 12" single.

Does anyone know for sure if promos of this LP were actually distributed this way?

My white label copy came in a Sugarhill sleeve, but who knows. I also got it second hand.

*edit* wait, you are talking about white label with all of the usual Sugarhill artwork and info, correct?

Exactly. Looks like the typical Sugarhill label, 'cept that it's white instead of blue. And it does say "PROMOTIONAL COPY" (or something similar) right across that same label. And the sleeve is totally blank, even though a sticker from the store I got it from claims it's a promo. Since Sugarhill was probably only one step removed from the Windy City Four, they very well could have distributed it that way.

Not to be so anal retentive, but if I can help it, I try not to buy mismatched covers/records...I'm hoping Sugarhill sent some of those Trouble Funk albums out like this (rather than some "careless DJ" just filing it in a random sleeve, as one of you just said).

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I've been seeing an increasing number of Motown promo LPs from around '80-82 with a generic Motown promo 12" sleeve that I know came that way originally...