Long Term efx- acid in the paper sleeves on vinyl

kalakala 3,361 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
record expert/archivist/filer gripper headz-what is the bottom line with this?does the chlorine/paper production chemicals effect the vinyl's health in a long term storage situation?is this how clouding and hazing occur?

Comments

• This wouldn't shock me, because the similar paper that they pack sneakers in is the villian behind "yellowing" and "cracking". Whenever I cop a pair, the first thing I do is get the paper out of the box.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I would think that since vinyl is basically plastic it would easily hold up to anything little ol' paper could give off. I've have records that are 30 years old (in my ownership, 40-50 years from when they were made) and never gone "white". I've always assumed that was poor care/storage by the previous owner when I see that.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    I believe that vinyl is completely inert, and is not subject to any chemical effects, such as oxidation or anything else. I think as long as you keep your records away from heat and dust, they will last for centuries.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    78 collectors only use paper and they have stuff going on 100 years old.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    78s are made out of different materials than 33s and 45s generally, but point well taken.