mac powerbook/protools mbox HELP

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
i have a powerbook g4 with protools mbox. i like to sequence on protools. i would like to have my record collection recorded to i tunes and be able to make beats with the protools on the road. what is a simple program to use to be able to tune(speed up or slow down) samples. thanks. stein. . .

Comments

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    please help. thanks. stein. . .

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    peak

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    stein, you can do all that in protools if you want to, since you already have it. protools comes with a pitch shifting/time stretching plugin.

and if you want to step it up a little, you can get serato pitch and time, which is amazing.
    holla if you have specific protools questions.
    peace

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    you can get serato pitch and time, which is amazing.

the digi timecompression plugin is garbage... does some wierd stuff to the quality of the sample. serato pitch and time is better.

peak is good, but you cant to do the pitch/time streach against the stuff youre matching to. id say serato, but nothing really beats basic speeding up and slowing down a record.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Or try Waves Soundshifter. You can time stretch via BPMs if needed.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    i have serato p n t. i dont need to timestretch or pitchshift. i just want to get the length to fit right. for example if i'm using the akai mpc3000 and i have a sample that needs to fit into a 100.00 bpm sequence and i get it pretty close on the turntable after i sample it i know i just need to tune it +/- 2. can i do this on the pro tools. thanks again. stein. . .

• i have serato p n t. i dont need to timestretch or pitchshift. i just want to get the length to fit right. for example if i'm using the akai mpc3000 and i have a sample that needs to fit into a 100.00 bpm sequence and i get it pretty close on the turntable after i sample it i know i just need to tune it +/- 2. can i do this on the pro tools. thanks again. stein. . .

you do it with the serato pitch n time. serato p n t works two fold. correcting/modifying pitch and time stretching/expansion. basically you just put the percentage in that you want it changed and it will do so.

now for the killer. does anyone have a crack for the serato plug in????? i will make a nice fucking package of records to anyone who can hook me up.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    get ableton live... you can speed up slow down samples without fucking up the pitch... that's the only game in town as far as im concerned.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Just use the grid mode in PT. Set your main BPM, then the grid will show you 32s, 16s, 8s etc. You can then see how the sample fits into the bar. Then use the pitch shift/timestretch to get the sample to fit...
    I do it this way using Waves SoundShifter and it works perfectly. Of course, sight isn't the best reference, so it's a combination of that and listening. But i've managed to pull off some real complex sequences from sources that have been all over the place tempo wise.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Just use the grid mode in PT. Set your main BPM, then the grid will show you 32s, 16s, 8s etc. You can then see how the sample fits into the bar. Then use the pitch shift/timestretch to get the sample to fit...

Word, grid mode and time compression/expansion are your very good friends. I make beats in pretty much the way you're describing, Einstein: Get the tempos matches as closely as possible with the turntable's pitch control before recording in the sample, then chop it to fit the grid and use time compression/expansion to fill in any resulting gaps or shrink down any sections to fit. The process becomes second nature pretty quickly.

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts
    Stein...
    I tried to PM you and you are not accepting PM's from anyone. What gives?
    Now everyone has to read my rambling about pro tools. Oh well.

Now i'm no Mesh, but since you got my attention...I have been down your road before and after much trial and error I have happily settled with using Pro-tools beat-detective in conjuction with the Waves timeshifter plug-in.
    I really loved the Serrato PNT but my demo ran out and I cannot afford to buy it nor do I have the smarts to write an ilok reset script (someone holler if you know that ish!).

PM me for more details if needed.

Peace,
    Al

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts

and if you want to step it up a little, you can get serato pitch and time, which is amazing.

the hot shit is that serato is working to adapt this plug in for Scratch Live so you'll be able to time streach your tracks before you play them.