Pere Ubu, Dead Boys, or Rocket From The Tombs?

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
I'm a Rocket From The Tombs guy myself. I think it brought together the pre-punk edge of the later Dead Boys defectees with the songwriting ability and left-field quirkiness of the Pere Ubu founders perfectly, but since they never released a proper album, it's an open issue.For comparison (sorry they're not Divshare players, but they weren't uploading for me):Rocket From The Tombs - Ain't It Fun Dead Boys - Ain't It Fun Rocket From The Tombs - Sonic ReducerDead Boys - Sonic ReducerRocket From The Tombs - 30 Seconds Over Tokyo Pere Ubu - 30 Seconds Over Tokyo Rocket From The Tombs - Final Solution Pere Ubu - Final SolutionAll of the Rocket From The Tombs tracks are from The Day The Earth Met Rocket From The Tombs.

Comments

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I like Rocket From the Tombs, but having listened to Pere Ubu so much over the years, I can't help but think of them as little more than Pere Ubu demos.

I haven't spent much time w/ Dead Boys.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    pere ubu for me. and they still are great live

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Pere Ubu certainly had the most range of the three, but I like the harder edge Rocket From The Tombs had. It's apparent in that version of 30 Seconds Over Tokyo. The Dead Boys had the edge, but were too much of a one trick pony, and their songs sound like RFTT songs cleaned up for the studio and without the inspiration.

I call it: RFTT > Pere Ubu > Dead Boys

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Pere Ubu certainly had the most range of the three, but I like the harder edge Rocket From The Tombs had.

i definitely understand that. still weird to me that they were all involved together because they are kind of apples and oranges. cleveland scene was such an anomaly. lots of those groups that came out of that time seem so disparate to compare with one another. i'm in the mood for pere ubu some days and rocket from the tombs on others, but not one over the other necessarily.

the styrenes are fun too.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Pere Ubu certainly had the most range of the three, but I like the harder edge Rocket From The Tombs had. It's apparent in that version of 30 Seconds Over Tokyo. The Dead Boys had the edge, but were too much of a one trick pony, and their songs sound like RFTT songs cleaned up for the studio and without the inspiration.

I call it: RFTT > Pere Ubu > Dead Boys

what he said.