Anti-Emo Riots Break Out Across Mexico

ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Riot police have taken to the streets of several cities in Mexico to ... defend emo kids?A series of attacks on dyed-hair, eye-makeup-wearing emo kids began in early March when several hundred people went on an emo-beating rampage in Quer??taro, a town of 1.5 million about 160 miles north of Mexico City.The next week, shaggy-haired emo teenagers were harassed again by punks and rockabillys in the capital, prompting police protection and a segment on the TV news. Most recently, a Mexican newspaper reported that metal heads and gangsters have warned Tijuana's emo kids to stay away from the town's fair next month.But the so-called emos are organizing, too. Last week, they demonstrated against the violence, pictured above, and Wednesday some met with police in Mexico City."They're organizing to defend their right to be emo," wrote Daniel Hernandez of LA Weekly on his personal blog, which has provided stellar coverage of the whole affair.
http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/03/anti-emo-riots.html

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I thought Morrissey was huge in Mexico. And no, I'm not joking.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    "several hundred people went on an emo-beating rampage"

I love that line....dope.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Metal heads and Gangsters against the Emos? Man, this shit sounds like Quadrophenia: the Mexico 2008 remix.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I thought Morrissey was huge in Mexico. And no, I'm not joking.

It's totally true. I asked my girlfriend about that and she said something about his level of melodrama being similar to a lot of Ranchero music.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    that pic looks like Myspace Mexico just exploded outside

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Metal heads and Gangsters against the Emos? Man, this shit sounds like Quadrophenia: the Mexico 2008 remix.

That's the first thing that came to mind when I read that shit.

Aaawww, but I feel bad for the poor emo kids. They don't stand a chance. They will have to evolve into some new shit, that no one has ever seen before, in order to survive.

Aaawww, but I feel bad for the poor emo kids. They don't stand a chance. They will have to evolve into some new shit, that no one has ever seen before, in order to survive.

Oh, they will continue to cry....TEARS OF BLOOD-RAGE!

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Damn! If only their daddies had loved them ... they would taught them how to fight!

I'm not saying I'm in favor of violence, but in a way I find it kind of cool that this happens. At least kids are out in the world rather doing stuff than just posting up in their rooms talking crap on the internets all day. I just wish they were being more constructive.

Also, I want to meet some Mexican Rockabillys. I didn't see any in Merida. I'll have to make my way over to la ciudad.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

Mexican Rockabillys.

?

But the pic above is a flashback to El Chopo flea market in Mexico City. Mexi-emos as far as the eye can see.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    that pic looks like Myspace STRIKE>Mexico/STRIKE> Latino just exploded outside

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

I think the dude towards the lower left corner is a spy. He doesn't look so emo to me.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    People being beat up ------not funny.

Metalhead and Rockabillys vs Emos-------HE FUCKIN LARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

People being beat up ------not funny.

Metalhead and Rockabillys vs Emos-------HE FUCKIN LARIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's what I'm saying! The fact that they care enough to have beef and make real world moves on it is kind of inspiring. I just wish they'd have a West Side Story-esque dance-off or something instead of thumping for real.

Beating on emos is a bad look. Are they going to take on the computer geeks and the AV club next? Talk about soft targets.

Also, do you think this will result in some emo kid finally taking shit into his own hands in a Columbine style?

Beating on emos is a bad look. Are they going to take on the computer geeks and the AV club next? Talk about soft targets.

last i thought, just cause you're "emotional" doesn't mean you can't be physically strong or good at scrapping.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    For a minute, I had to double-check the date to make sure it wasn't April 1st today.

Wow.

Riot police have taken to the streets of several cities in Mexico to ... defend emo kids?

A series of attacks on dyed-hair, eye-makeup-wearing emo kids began in early March when several hundred people went on an emo-beating rampage in Quer??taro, a town of 1.5 million about 160 miles north of Mexico City.

The next week, shaggy-haired emo teenagers were harassed again by punks and rockabillys in the capital, prompting police protection and a segment on the TV news. Most recently, a Mexican newspaper reported that metal heads and gangsters have warned Tijuana's emo kids to stay away from the town's fair next month.

But the so-called emos are organizing, too. Last week, they demonstrated against the violence, pictured above, and Wednesday some met with police in Mexico City.

"They're organizing to defend their right to be emo," wrote Daniel Hernandez of LA Weekly on his personal blog, which has provided stellar coverage of the whole affair.

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/2008/03/anti-emo-riots.html

last i thought, just cause you're "emotional" doesn't mean you can't be physically strong or good at scrapping.

True, and a computer geek could be a tae kwon do black belt for all I know. Emos as I understand them, however, don't seem to be looking for trouble of the physical variety. I'm sure some of them can hold their own, but I don't think that, in general, they're an aggressive lot.

They could be going after racist skinheads (if there were guys like that in Mexico) and make a more important point, but then they'd have a real fight on their hands. Not knowing all the details and history of this, I would assume that the metalheads and rockabillys don't really want it.

I would assume that the metalheads and rockabillys don't really want it.

Who's to say???maybe they're getting like they know they want it?

I would assume that the metalheads and rockabillys don't really want it.

Who's to say???maybe they're getting like they know they want it?

Who's to say indeed. I'm only speculating. Again, I'm busy in Jersey so my ethnographic studies on these cats will have to wait.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

no shit...I saw some dude step to Freakazoid from The Freak Show (bboy crew) and he got smashed. That kid is emo as fuck but he's not one to fuck with.

daze, funny you say that cause i was watching some video on youtube from an event my friends were in at GMU and i noticed a bunch of emo-tightpant-hypebeast crossovers and was really confused. i tried to see if i noticed anyone of them from my old days of dj'ing for the local b-boy crowd but it was too hard. just a thought.

ohh and the second "strike" if you will was i could tell the dj was cd spinnin. for shame...

• reskresk 391 Posts

whats up with the haircut which your hair covers one of your eyes? This cannot be very practical/functional?

anyways, this story is too funny

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

emoglobin.

sorry. couldn't resist.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

emoglobin.

sorry. couldn't resist.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

whats up with the haircut which your hair covers one of your eyes? This cannot be very practical/functional?

Wouldn't you lose depth perception? Everything would appear flat.

This would not help you in a fist fight, at all.

• when emo kids bboy:

dude looks like an elf. a wood sprite.

that abstract circus style of bboying is weird as shit. for the most part its an awesome example of flexibility and strength... funk however it is not.... at least all the times ive seen it. but given the expanded spectrum of hip hop now... its natural i suppose.

• sorry to threadjack... but classic bboy vs abstract. its and interesting comparison.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    That kid's in Circus Runaways right? they're sick too. But you're right, that shit aint funk.

I ride for Brickheads and LA Breakers