earliest known recording of sound

billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Researchers say they have unearthed a recording of the human voice, made by a little-known Frenchman, that predates Edison???s invention of the phonograph by nearly two decades.http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/27/arts/27soun.htmlHistory of the phonautograph:http://www.talkingmachine.org/phonautograph.html

Comments

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    thats a stretch. i mean, it merely transposed sound into a visual format and it took some berkeley scientist in the 21st century to actually convert it to sound. unless im missing something.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    You aren't missing anything.

"It was made, the researchers say, on April 9, 1860, on a phonautograph, a machine designed to record sounds visually, not to play them back."

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    thats a stretch. i mean, it merely transposed sound into a visual format and it took some berkeley scientist in the 21st century to actually convert it to sound.

YEAH, AMERICA IS STILL NUMBER ONE

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    thats a stretch. i mean, it merely transposed sound into a visual format and it took some berkeley scientist in the 21st century to actually convert it to sound.

YEAH, AMERICA IS STILL NUMBER ONE

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    a la moded

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    regardless of whether or not it counts or whatever, i still think its pretty incredible to hear something that was actually recorded 148 years ago...

• regardless of whether or not it counts or whatever, i still think its pretty incredible to hear something that was actually recorded 148 years ago...

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    regardless of whether or not it counts or whatever, i still think its pretty incredible to hear something that was actually recorded 148 years ago...

I got doubles of the test pressing if you're interested. Holla on der PM.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,895 Posts
    I am amazed it wasn't a fart. Dudes all serious in the day. Pffft!

• hermes1hermes1 109 Posts
    "I got doubles of the test pressing if you're interested. Holla on der PM."

• Finna remix that schitt for the clurb.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    anyone see the Mythbuster episode where they looked at primitive ways of recording, and whther you could record onto clay with straw and shit?

I think the myth was that you could 'play back' a clay jar and hear the sounds that were around the potter as he was making it!

Obvioulsy they proved it was impossible, but one of the dudes came up with some crazy needle/arm contrapment which looked dope!

• sample of the year

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    with or without bells