DEE DEE vs. DIONNE

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central

Dee Dee had some fly schitt (some 45s that were ) but I ride with Dionne

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Almost like apples/oranges, since Dee Dee was repping on the hard-soul side of the fence and didn't have Dionne's lounge tendencies.

I'll probably choose Dee Dee by default...I love Dionne too, but she loses me sometimes with the easy-listening thing.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    For me, Dee Dee never made the leap..those 45s are cool but never leap into bad ass territory...I ride for Dionne, if only for the killer "You Can Have Him", love love love that song...some rugged bad ass stuff...

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Almost like apples/oranges, since Dee Dee was repping on the hard-soul side of the fence and didn't have Dionne's lounge tendencies.

yep, that's right! which do you ride for, the apple or the orange?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I have to take Dionne! She has a great voice, and worked with really good musicians and arrangers. Some of her stuff is like Loft classic, before the Loft even existed.

oh, i done MADE my choice (see my first post in this thread)!

i dont know whether youd call her an apple or an orange, but its definitely down to dee dee. she may be a b-lister (as hook-up implied), but she damn near tore shit up on her version of "suspicious minds"

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I like the rawer sounding soul side of things, so for me: Dee Dee = "Locked In Your Love"+"You're No Good"+"Suspicious Minds">Dionne = "This Empty Place"+"Just Being Myself LP"+"The other smooth Bacharach/David mega hits". They are different but I like Dee Dee better for her 45s. Although Dionne could have slayed it on that 45 of "This Little Light"/"What'd I Say" if the fidelity was better!

For me, Dee Dee never made the leap..those 45s are cool but never leap into bad ass territory...I ride for Dionne, if only for the killer "You Can Have Him", love love love that song...some rugged bad ass stuff...
    This makes me want to hear "You Can Have Him", I don't know that song.

its on a dollar binner: "The Sensitve Sound of Dionne Warwick" on Scepter...an easy turn up...there is a 45 as well, but I havent turned the 45 up...

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    I gotta go with Dionne. Of course, she did have Burt Bacharach songs to work with, and that's a good start to making any singer sound great.

its on a dollar binner: "The Sensitve Sound of Dionne Warwick" on Scepter...an easy turn up...there is a 45 as well, but I havent turned the 45 up...
    Cool, I'll have a closer look next time I flick past some of her LPs.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Maybe I haven't heard the right records yet, but I don't know about Dee Dee's "hard" soul... the stuff I've heard is mostly on the verge of pop, and obviously Dionne slays her on the pop stuff (so right now thats who I'm rolling with)...

Cool, I'll have a closer look next time I flick past some of her LPs.

here ya go:

Going by the soundclip you posted of "You Can Have Him," it's not bad, but I wouldn't call it "rugged" or "bad ass." Bad ass for DIONNE, but it's not like she turned into Koko Taylor or anything. Matter of fact, it sounds vaguely Northern. I'd put it on an even keel with Dee Dee's stuff - not exactly pop, but still kinda, ah, "professional."

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

Si, Si... Dee Dee.... Hard soul all night long!

Ever since Dionne started talking shhhheeeeeeeeeettttttt about Hip Hop in the mid 90s, I cant stand the bitch! She reminds me of a female version of Johnny Mathis.... watered down and boring, plus she looks like an alien.

Going by the soundclip you posted of "You Can Have Him," it's not bad, but I wouldn't call it "rugged" or "bad ass." Bad ass for DIONNE, but it's not like she turned into Koko Taylor or anything. Matter of fact, it sounds vaguely Northern. I'd put it on an even keel with Dee Dee's stuff - not exactly pop, but still kinda, ah, "professional."

I find the arrangement to be very bad ass...tough tune. She isnt laying it down like a Yvonne Fair "Say yeah yeah" or a Koko like you mention, it doesnt necessarily have to growl to be rugged...just powerful and I find it powerful

Going by the soundclip you posted of "You Can Have Him," it's not bad, but I wouldn't call it "rugged" or "bad ass." Bad ass for DIONNE, but it's not like she turned into Koko Taylor or anything.

I find the arrangement to be very bad ass...tough tune.

I gotta say, I do like the way that arrangement "give(s) the drummer some"...almost a percussion bonanza there.

Maybe I haven't heard the right records yet, but I don't know about Dee Dee's "hard" soul... the stuff I've heard is mostly on the verge of pop, and obviously Dionne slays her on the pop stuff (so right now thats who I'm rolling with)...
    Have you heard "Foolish Fool"?

This is a cool track, thanks!