Joe Farrell appreciation post

Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
guy knew funk. just two quick things:the solo on canned and that is probably one of the most consistent CTI album EVAR

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

MOON GERMS

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Yea, that Benson and Farrell is nice. There is one with a red cover with a candle that's nice as well.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    benson & farrell - weekday music
    canned funk - weekend music

both go great with bailey's

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I bought a bunch of Farrell records back when I was buying things just because they "had a break", and never really listened to them, but the the first Joe Farrell Quartet record is actually a great LP. "Follow Your Heart" is classic.

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    I bought a bunch of Farrell records .... and never really listened to them

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Joe's for the chullins.

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    I was listening to "Moon Germs" last night as I worked out. Also, finding "Upon This Rock" for $1.50 is one of my favorite finds of all times. I was at a flea market and came across it; the price tag had "as is - water damage" written on it. After my initial dismay at reading that I checked out the condition and the only water damage I could find was the tiniest bit of waviness to the cardboard packaging. I pulled the record out to inspect the vinyl and it was all nice and minty clean. Hey, whatever.

Looking at the "Moon Germs" CD booklet last night I found something weird. The musician lineup on this album is a straight quartet -- Farrell, Herbie Hancock, Jack DeJohnette and Stanley Clarke. Inside in the booklet though they list the musicians with such people as Hubert Laws, Bob James, Ron Carter, Airto, a couple guitarists, 3 bassoon players... They obviously put in the wrong personnel, from another album or something. The fact that Hubert Laws is listed first might indicate it's from some Hubert Laws album. I dunno, just really weird.

• unityunity 179 Posts
    the players' association

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    soulstrut getting back to the cti!

the players' association

Farrell plays in Players Association?

• Options
    Joe's for the chullins.

Yes, my favorite version of You go to my head.

This is my favorite one:

• His playing on

is illlllllin

• i still like Upon This Rock the best.. probably because when my ears were tuned for breaks only, i played this one the most..

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    I have ridden in several grades of firmness for his CTI output. Yes, he had that funk.

WTF is the fuss about Deodato though? Those statues on Easter Island? That is my face when presented with Deodato output - UNMOVED.

• Options
    Those statues on Easter Island? That is my face when presented with Deodato output - UNMOVED.

the players' association

Farrell plays in Players Association?

• unityunity 179 Posts
    Farrell is featured on this:

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    he was one of those talented sessionmen.....not different than all those Sanborns, Scotts, etc ...only earlier and better