HAIRY FACED MARV vs. SMOOTH FACED GAYE

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
which era Marvin Gaye wins?vs.pretty easy for most to pick the hairy faced dude who did stuff like What's Goin' On etc, but the smooth faced cat was too, jack! it's actually not that easy a choice for me. will anybody here dare to ride for the smooth face Gaye? there actually may be another choice, but i'm still trying to figure this one out-

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Finger wave Gaye = classic look

That's the only time period his hair had any real style to it, IMO.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Well, either way he still made the ladies cream their pants, so...can't go wrong!

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    btw, i am really talking about the music moreso than the look, but it all matters. yeah, drew... the waves were fresh though!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ill go w/ HAIRY SCARY GAYE, but I ride for A Tribute to Nat King Cole. That crooner steez i likey.

That last choice looks like WONT LEAVE HIS MAMA'S HOUSE PARANOID GAYE.

or more like his freaky Oslo time.

• Options
    Hairy Gaye

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    In that case, I think MG got better and grittier as he went along.

It's amazing how what was going on socially and politically had such an influence on the music and other forms of artistic expression being made back then.

It would be a real challenge to draw correlations to domestic or world events and popular music in the last couple decades.

Everything changed for him in '71 when What's Goin' On was created. That's the Marvin I ride for, scruff and all.

btw, i am really talking about the music moreso than the look, but it all matters. yeah, drew... the waves were fresh though!

Marvin Gaye is the only man I know who could rock a damn SKULLCAP and still be considered a sex symbol.

Musically, I'll ride for it all. The first five sides of the old Anthology compilation proved that clean-faced Marvin was no joke. (Side six was all bearded social-consciousness Marvin.)

Couldnt he be divided into 4 large stages?

Crooner/Finger Wave Era

Norman Whitfield/Short Fro

Hairy Skullcap Era

Back from Exile Era

Couldnt he be divided into 4 large stages?

Crooner/Finger Wave Era

Norman Whitfield/Short Fro

Hairy Skullcap Era

Back from Exile Era

yup, you could do that too! i just kept it simple with the hairy / smooth, since when he went hairy there was a big change in the sound / content of the music as well.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Musically, I'll ride for it all.

Yep.

And looks-/allure-wise, it's hard to separate the life from the looks; can't really get beyond the insanity and never-ending drama around him. Anyway...smoov Marvin is a little too pretty for my tastes and rugged Marvin reminds me too much of an uncle of mine. 80s Marvin when he is bearded, but looking more smooth than rugged is nice. That footage of him singing the anthem at the NBA game is wonderful...Now I'm getting sad.

I only have like 5 albums from his SMOOV-FACE era.

Did anyone catch that VH1Soul Gaye Videography, showin SMOOVFACE up to Late-HAIRYFACE.

Dinah Shore interviewed him and Kate Jackson was OPEN.

They showed an EGO TRIPPIN OUT video........

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    hairy gaye

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    smoove faced....64-66 era Marvin is what does it for me...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    As a kid, I was really digging bordering-on-over-the-hill, lecherous Marvin Gaye from the Sexual Healing video. Now, that was a no nonsense guy. "When I get that feeling, I want sexual healing...it's something that's good for me." HELL TO THE YES! Shouldn't be nothing wrong with waking your woman up for some good old fashioned lovemaking.

Get up get up get up get up...

It's amazing how what was going on socially and politically had such an influence on the music and other forms of artistic expression being made back then.

Well, Marvin wasn't the only one it was happening to. That was just the mood of the times.

This thread could have easily been:
    SMOOTH FACED GENE McDANIELS[/b]

VS. HAIRY FACED EUGENE McDANIELS[/b]

That footage of him singing the anthem at the NBA game is wonderful.....

Post Oslo Era

Did anyone catch that VH1Soul Gaye Videography, showin SMOOVFACE up to Late-HAIRYFACE.

What happened there? Kate Jackson wanted some "sexual healing" from ole M.P.G.?

What happened there? Kate Jackson wanted some "sexual healing" from ole M.P.G.?

Yes, she was lookin real OPEN. this was also after his exile so maybe she was just happy to have him back.
    But I doubt it. Dinah did all the talkin w/ Marvin, while Kate Jackson looked like she was hummin I CHOOSE YOU by Wille Hutch!

Wait, wrong thread.

Wait, wrong thread.

besides, the only difference i see is that in the second pic, he has stubble and a gut, otherwise hes still recognizable

how the hell did the beatles make looking so dorky look so cool? i wanna be those guys (plaese, no photoshop, controller 7... i know how you do ).

Wait, wrong thread.

besides, the only difference i see is that in the second pic, he has stubble and a gut, otherwise hes still recognizable

Yes, dude...he wasn't juicing. His head didn't dramatically expand. He didn't lie to a grand jury. He's the perfect role model. He should teach anger management courses. He should be president, or at least Obama's running mate. He's like a teflon hologram...untouchable. He should be credited in the record books for 1.5 home runs for every 1 he hit simply because he's that awesome and has shown us all how we should by rule emphatically want to be left alone to our Lazy-Boy in the lockerroom. He wears Sammy Sosa and Mark McGwire as permanent armpit adornments that keep his shit cleanly groomed and fresh. Willie Mays brings him his slippers every morning. He is the most Barry.

Can't wait until he starts his singing career.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Has to be Hairy Marv.

In fact, I'm struggling to think of an artist I didn't prefer hairy to smooth.

This post is music related only.

I really need to cop way more early Marvin. I dont own any of the duet albums.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,086 Posts
    This is my current favorite of his

This is my current favorite of his

YES!!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Not quite the same thing, but talking about the difference between young, clean cut and fresh-faced vs older, more rugged and darker...
    When I was a pre-teen, I was a mother's helper to this woman across the street who had a young daughter and during and after her second pregnancy. I helped her watch the little girl, go shopping with them, do laundry...that kind of thing. She was pretty intense - she smoked through her whole pregnancy (baby was yellow, I mean yellow), swore a lot and when we would go out with her visiting parents, she would chew her dad out for saying racist things. Her and her husband had floor-to-ceiling, wall-to-wall record shelves, mostly full of rock and something would always been on the turntable. The Stones were on one day and I'm not sure how she got onto the subject, but she pulled out two Marianne Faithfull records and played what she described as "pre-Mick Jagger Marianne Faithfull" and "post-Mick Jagger Marianne Faithfull". There was a marked difference.

A related thread would be pre-dreads reggae artists and the switch to rastafarianism.