Australian Old School hip hop?

4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Can anyone recommend me or upload mp3s of some definitive old school Oz hip hop ; trying to give some props on a joint we are working on... thanks in advance -

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    The first Australian hip-hop didn't really got proper vinyl releases until 1990 and beyond, although dudes were oputting tapes and shit together a bit before then. In terms of classic early aussie hip-hop, Check out:

Def Wish Cast - Mad as a hatter EP
    Prowla - Money walks EP
    V/A - Homebrewz and Homebrewz II
    Hilltop hoods - back once again LP
    Just-Us - first album?
    AKA Brothers - Melbourne crew who did 2 12's in the early 90s
    Fonkee Knowmades
    Brethren

Sheep should be able to add a few more important releases to this list

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    A fair few releases old releases can be found here

http://www.micmaster.com/full%20releases/

what artists are you looking for?

A fair few releases old releases can be found here

http://www.micmaster.com/full%20releases/

what artists are you looking for?

Good list - Finger Lickin Good is definitely one on there that you should check that i didn't mention.

And not that we're old school in this incarnation, but feel free to name check us!

Prowla - Money walks EP [My Fav Oz release of all time!]
    Hilltop hoods - back once again LP

these are on that shit i posted. Make sure you peep the Rock the City Comp too.

Freestyles, tracks & mixtapes can be found hurr: http://www.micmaster.com/

• Word - good lookin'..

So chronilogically who would you say were the Oz hip hop pioneers then? If i could only shout one crew then who would you say - i'm thinking the hoods came later but got big on the crossover tip, - any classic tracks i should know about? I'm trying to put the world up on Oz in a real way with this track and i'm writing right now -
    word

i'm thinking the hoods came later but got big on the crossover tip
    word
    You're thinking right in terms of their current presence. although their first release was quite an underground hit and different to their current material.

Honestly, if you want to shout out one crew, Def Wish Cast would be it. I'm sure some non-Sydney heads might offer some different opinions on this, but to me, they are the definitive hardcore Australian hip-hop crew. The first time i saw them live it blew my mind - changed the whole game for me.

Whoa, thats a big call. But you're safest bet would be to say Def Wish Cast. I doubt you've be able to find any oz hip hop artist that couldn't say that they weren't influenced by DWC in some way.

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    I doubt you've be able to find any oz hip hop artist that couldn't say that they weren't influenced by DWC in some way.

This statement couldn't be any more correct.

• Anyone have any def wish they could upload or pm? that would be the trillest...
    thanks guys - I love my Oz fam for real. See you in April

sry at work now. but here's a sample. this is from 93? I think.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    Word - good lookin'..

So chronilogically who would you say were the Oz hip hop pioneers then? If i could only shout one crew then who would you say - i'm thinking the hoods came later but got big on the crossover tip, - any classic tracks i should know about? I'm trying to put the world up on Oz in a real way with this track and i'm writing right now -
    word

A.U.S.T- Def Wish Cast. THE oz hip hop anthem!

Old school crews are far and few as far as releases go.

DWC, Brethren, Easybass, Fathom, 046, Prowla, Intense Quality, Finger Lickin Good, AKA Bros, Just Us, Sound Unlimited, Fonke Knowmads, Sleek the Elite, Mamas Funkistools and a few morte I cont remmber now, are the only ones that realy dropped things in the late 80's early 90's.

Most local crews until the early 90's were putting out 4 tracks to their friends, maybe a handful of cd/lp releases a year. Lots and lots of crews, but not many documented through releases.

BTW good on you for showing some interest...we don't really get that curiosity from many of your fellow country men.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    DWC are true legends here in aus but please dont over look prowla
    US head should remember his work with 7L & Esoteric???s classic ???Protocol???

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    The first Australian hip-hop didn't really got proper vinyl releases until 1990 and beyond,

Just Us's 12" Combined Talent came out in 88.
    First AKA brothers 12" Coming Out Large was 1989. Also Park Bench Royals first 12" came out the same year. Im pretty sure the horrible Down By law Comp was was pre 1990 as well.

No offence Thes but the cynic in me has to ask if you don't know the groups why do you want to give them a shout out? Just wondering.

If you had to ask me i would say

AKA Brothers and Def Wish Cast are the two contenders.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    The first Australian hip-hop didn't really got proper vinyl releases until 1990 and beyond,

From Urbanflavours.com.au

The first Australian hip hop record released was "16 Tons b/w Humber Mania Time" by Mighty Big Crime released by Virgin Records and Criteria Productions in 1987 (Catalogue number VOZC 026). The single was a Beastie Boys derivative and the Melbourne based duo soon disbanded (later forming The Freaked Out Flower Children with Sophie Lee).

Mighty Big Crime were an abomination and a very sad beginning to Aussie hip hop. It was definately a musical crime

• No offence Thes but the cynic in me has to ask if you don't know the groups why do you want to give them a shout out? Just wondering.

No sweat, we are working on a track and i want to shout out THE group that was holding it - i of course went to Oz for my first tour in aug. of 2000 but by dropping the names of some ogs from down there i want cats to know i know there were dudes doing it tough there way before people think. I'm not giving them a personal shout out but by dropping there name it might make someone like me want to go look em up and see what they were all about. just giving respect due.

PUTS has always tried to drop names in tracks that might get people on the internet looking something up - just continuing in that.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    If I had to choose some names, I would either go with

AKA Brothers
    or
    Def Wish Cast

both are considered legends amongst all real hip-hop heads in OZ...

there were lots of others, I think those 2 groups made their mark as pioneers...

b

• PunditPundit 438 Posts

The first Australian hip hop record released was "16 Tons b/w Humber Mania Time" by Mighty Big Crime released by Virgin Records and Criteria Productions in 1987 (Catalogue number VOZC 026). The single was a Beastie Boys derivative and the Melbourne based duo soon disbanded (later forming The Freaked Out Flower Children with Sophie Lee).

Mighty Big Crime were an abomination and a very sad beginning to Aussie hip hop. It was definately a musical crime

haha I've got a pile of test presses and 12s of MBC. One of my guilty pleasured digs.
    Get Outta My Face!
    I had no idea they formed freaked out flower children.

I think someone should also mention those telmak breakdance compilations from 1984 with the original aussie versions of old school hip hop joints. I got em lying around somewhere but my memory's hazy, sheep knows what i'm talking about.

AKA Bros T cosy tip is hilarious.

Also, Finger Lookin Good 12 had nice cover art by HAMS.

Damn, I didn't know about that '87 release, and I was sure Just Us released their first 12" in 1990, but I don't have it so i wasn't sure.

All good man. I got nothing but love for Puts. If no one else beats me to it i'll get around to ripping some AKA brothers and Def Wish and link you up.

Def Wish Cast Daily Nightmare from there 1992 12" Mad As A Hatter. I stil get goose bumps listening to this.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CMS0UKMW

AKA Brothers Coming Out Large 1989

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=228U0CXG

Thanks for posting them up kicks - I don't think I have ANY Oz hip-hop on my computer.

• Anybody besides Aussies read Hype Magazine back in the day?

They had some good flicks in there?

Peace,

Dress

• Super good look fellas - this stuff is trippin me out, dope for sure. Loko ima get at you about linking up too.

Just so you guys know we are going to be shooting a video in Sydney April 28th-30th lets keep this thread alive so we can get the strut in the house - or maybe house party!

thanks again to everyone for the uploads

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts

Actually thats wrong. theres a song by a group called the Average Aussie Band (something like that) and it was released like 85-86, tyhey wont hip hoppers per se, but droopped the first Oz Hip Hop rimes, in aussie accent, name local things. I got it on this wack as fuck Telmak compliation which featured dodgy remakes of electro and old school tunes. I think Dj Bonez drops it on his Oz hip Hop mixtape.

And yes MBC and Down Under By Law are blemmishes on an otherwise decent track record by Australian Hip hoppers.

Haha yeah - I saw a grip of that average aussie band 45 at the Blacktown spot ages back. I didn't grab a copy but possibly should have. That's also where i scored the down under by law comp, with a certain female graffiti personality gripping the mic.

I think someone should also mention those telmak breakdance compilations from 1984 with the original aussie versions of old school hip hop joints. I got em lying around somewhere but my memory's hazy, sheep knows what i'm talking about.

Rap Attack - Volume 1 and Volume 2..

I had those tapes as a kid...

also the first aussie rap song, someone needs to make a mp3 of it..

The Average Aussie Band was that shit!

peace.

• thanks again for everyone on the info in this thread, we're going to be in Perth for Anzac day if anyone wants to come out and get busy!

Make sure u eat some Anzac Biscuits!

djsheep said:

Rap Attack - Volume 1 and Volume 2..

I had those tapes as a kid...

also the first aussie rap song, someone needs to make a mp3 of it..

The Average Aussie Band was that shit!

peace.

I just revisited the Rap Attack album and I think its fucking great. Right up my alley these days.

Does anyone who does the weird accent covers of all the old school rap classics? What country are they from?

The covers of Magic's Wand and The Message are the best.