Black Bart Simpson Shirts, circa 90s

alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
found this awesome article online from the Washington post back in 1990 on the bootlegged black bart shirts, but first my experience...Back when i was in grade 5, our local flea markets(i'm from toronto) had a bunch of the black bart t-shirts, and unfortunately my rent's would never buy me stuff i wanted if i couldn't wear it to the ole church, but they were worn left right and center in my school, so i had to settle for being jealous. so years later i encountered the power of ebay and scored me a shirt: ....proving to myself that they did exist. i'd wear it all the time and no comments so one day im buying booze and the cashier screams at me and goes "oh my gosh, get out". apparently she used to visit a sister in brooklyn back in the 90s and she said the shirts were everywhere. since a lot of you are from the states and all i thought you'd appreciate this. do you remember the various shirts? i mainly remember air bart and the black bart man.here's the article:http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/ml/readings/black_bart.pdf

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    yeah these were everywhere.

so when ol girl said "get out" was that like get out of my store with that offensive shirt or get out of here I havent seen one of those is years?

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i don't remember any specific shirts but i remember these being around. i tried to ignore them as i thought they were horrible. the cats that sold the bootleg fendi, mcm, gucci and all that crap had the bart simpson shirts. i can see them having some kitch value these days though... ya know, that 20 year thing....

• Options

Thats heat! I remember those. I scored thatFat Boys hat off ebay for 40$ ebay is good for cheap clothes

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    probably Get Out =

I hatted this shit. At the time i was on some Super Black Power steez and I felt that the Local Black Exp should be creating our own cartoon character to place on t-shirts. It was such a low level of creativity IMO.

Shit was all over the place, but it doesnt compare to the Gucci T-Shirt phenomenon.

Now that shit was RIDICULOUS. Grandmas/Bums/B-Girls/Children/Bouncers/Off-Duty Cops/Yo'Mama/the Janitor/Shaquaan & Them/etc.

And it lasted for a good 2 years strong. Multi colours and shit.

Imagine UGGs in the 80's.

• Yeah the bootleg Bart shirts where Frickin' everywhere.

• Options
    Remember those Miami Vice shirts with Miami Rice on them?

the miami vice parody shirts were everywhere.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    Constitution ave hotdog vendor steeze...

if anyone wants to buy it, lemme know

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts

haha that's hilarious.

i loved the crude drawings, though at that point in the simpsons, that was their style.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    mannnn, I remember those but as a kid who was living in Chicago in the 80's I even remember the Mickey Mouse "Yo Baby Yo" shirts. can't find a pic though

edit: just read that article and they get a mention! lol

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

I have this but as a black T-shirt, with red lettering.

I also have the Bart Marley one, another one with Bart in the middle of big ass cheeks with the statement CRACK KILLS[/b], and one where Bart is kicking George W. Bush and Saddam Hussein as they are golfing.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    pics please!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    pics please!

I'll try to ASAP.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    oh shit. those shirts were allll over Tijuana back in the day. It was prob around 1990. All Bart Simpson shirts.

YOu cant forget the Bo Jackson one.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    the black Bart shirts I remember seeing were gang related.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    seems like for the entire summer of 1990, there was one guy i used to see who had a different "black Bart" T-shirt every week. it started out by being just a colorization of the usual Simpsons cartoons, but by september the drawings had gotten crude and amateurish. the main one i remember was black Bart doing some kind of dance while two black girls looked on. the caption: "it's a black thing, you wouldn't understand."

and at the time, i remember thinking that The Simpsons had caught on QUICK considering it had only been on for five months (not counting the summer reruns).

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Post deleted by Quo

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts

check the score board.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I remember some Mexican variants. They were crude and some were even printed on pink shirts.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    I remember hearing that Matt Groening said that people co-opting Bart for their own culture (Black Bart, Mexican Bart...etc..) was his favorite thing about the Simpson craze. that folks would feel close enough to embrace Bart and make him their own was more than he could have ever hoped for.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

check the score board.

i figured that out just by looking at the game itself - regular white bart is the one taking it to the hoop. but what's up with that skull?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    another one with Bart in the middle of big ass cheeks with the statement CRACK KILLS[/b]

i saw some bootleg bart shit with this on it, but it must have either been expensive or not a shirt, because if i found that on a shirt i'd pretty much have to buy it.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    that folks would feel close enough to embrace Bart and make him their own was more than he could have ever hoped for.

wow Matt Groening sounds like a real dumb ass.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I felt that the Local Black Exp should be creating our own cartoon character to place on t-shirts.

I specifically remembering seeing/buying several different variations of what you're talking about. It seemed like a gang of graf artists were putting up Black characters on tees with the same kind of themes. I even remember seeing a Howard Univ. Bison with a box cut an some dunks on in the same lean and the cat on the uptown records logo.

I felt that the Local Black Exp should be creating our own cartoon character to place on t-shirts.

I specifically remembering seeing/buying several different variations of what you're talking about. It seemed like a gang of graf artists were putting up Black characters on tees with the same kind of themes. I even remember seeing a Howard Univ. Bison with a box cut an some dunks on in the same lean and the cat on the uptown records logo.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

U dont remember the Fat Albert F.U.B.U. gear from a couple of years back. It was their last hurrah.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    platinum fubu status

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    These shirts are funny to me, they'll always represent that Swapmeet steez. My homie Chris from Fruition is single handedly tryna bring back the Bart simpson T's. I cracked up going through his store, and spotting some real bootleg shirts.

Right now the big swap meet things is thugafying cartoon characters, Thugged out spongebob, Bugs Bunny 2 pac, Tasmanian Devil fiddy.

I even see they got the Pilsbury doughboy joints.

- spidey

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    oh yeah, anybody remember the bootleg bugs bunny and tasmanian devil kriss kross shirts?
    swapmeeeeeeeeeetz