"Dancing In The Moonlight" vs. "Brandy"

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Okay, King Harvest did "Dancing In The Moonlight" and Looking Glass did "Brandy." But anybody ever notice how these two 1972 songs sound like they're by the same band? Deep baritone lead vocals, background singers that sound like they're boozing it up at the corner bar's happy hour, Fender Rhodes piano all over the place. Antyway, which one do you think is the better oldie? I love them both, but if I had to choose I'd probably lean towards "Dancing In The Moonlight."

Comments

• Okay, King Harvest did "Dancing In The Moonlight" and Looking Glass did "Brandy." But anybody ever notice how these two 1972 songs sound like they're by the same band? Deep baritone lead vocals, background singers that sound like they're boozing it up at the corner bar's happy hour, Fender Rhodes piano all over the place. Antyway, which one do you think is the better oldie? I love them both, but if I had to choose I'd probably lean towards "Dancing In The Moonlight."

Hmmmmm...King Harvest were named after a Band song...but then Looking Glass are Central Jersey homeboys....I'm torn.

Both good tunes though.

• "Brandy," always cracks me up as an overserious story-song...

"Dancing in the Moonlight," kind of slays me. I have a HUGE soft spot for that one.

King Harvest wins.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "Brandy," always cracks me up as an overserious story-song...

...yeah, even though it sounds so damn happy!

ever see the ep of Saturday Night Live from the seventies where they had a comedy skit built around it? i think it was Laraine Newman who played the role of "brandy" the barmaid

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    For years I thought "Dancing in the Moonlight" was Van Morrison.

For years I thought "Dancing in the Moonlight" was Van Morrison.

When I was a kid I thought "Dancing in the Moonlight" was sung by a black man named King Harvest (you know, like King Curtis or King Pleasure).

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Brandy by a nose

awesome loner loser downer drank song

feel good drinking in the meadow moves

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    "Dancing In The Moonlight."

It was pretty rough hearing it in that IRA (or was it a mutual fund?) commercial a couple of years ago, but with that passed, I still prefer Dancing in the Moonlight. Even the Toploader version isn't terrible. Not particularly original, either, but that's probably what keeps it from being terrible.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,848 Posts
    I vote "Brandy"... I used to karaoke that shit (badly) at the Mar Vista Bowl.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    but my life, my lover, my lady...is the sea

brandy totally takes it

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    Okay, King Harvest did "Dancing In The Moonlight" and Looking Glass did "Brandy." But anybody ever notice how these two 1972 songs sound like they're by the same band? Deep baritone lead vocals, background singers that sound like they're boozing it up at the corner bar's happy hour, Fender Rhodes piano all over the place. Antyway, which one do you think is the better oldie? I love them both, but if I had to choose I'd probably lean towards "Dancing In The Moonlight."

For a moment, I thought you meant Thin Lizzy's "Dancing In The Moonlight", which would have been a clear winner. But the King Harvest song has probably been ruined for life for me, thanks to a shitty cover by an English band called Toploader around 2000, which not only featured in a long-running TV ad campaign but was also never off the radio for about two years.

I actually play "Brandy" out on occasions, but usually only during the summer and at the end of the night when the bar is full of cheerful drunk people. In the UK it was what they used to call a turntable hit; it got tons of radio play, but was only on the chart for a week or two. Stuck with me, though.

"Brandy" wins.

• LazerLazer 796 Posts
    brandy, for the yacht rock moves.

• autoauto 198 Posts
    brandy for me

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    My girl had never heard Brandy, but play Dancing in the Moonlight and she's belting out into the air mic.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I find "Dancing" depressing - "Brandy" is goofy yet endearing though...

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    I've always had a huge thing for "Dancing In The Moonlight". It's just one of those songs that connects with me on a deeper level and I have an attraction to it I can't explain. There's a short list of songs that I'm always, ALWAYS in the mood for and that I imagine will be the soundtrack playing when (if?) I'm in heaven, and "Dancing In The Moonlight" is one of those songs. I just love everything about the song, can't find anything I don't like, and never get tired of hearing it.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    But the King Harvest song has probably been ruined for life for me, thanks to a shitty cover by an English band called Toploader around 2000, which not only featured in a long-running TV ad campaign but was also never off the radio for about two years.

I don't think it ever got radio play over here, and the King Harvest version is the only one that got the TV ad treatment.

I like how your post is like mine on Bizarro world.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    "Brandy" for me!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    background singers that sound like they're boozing it up at the corner bar's happy hour

"you're a fiiiiiiine girl..."

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    brandy is one of the greatest songs in the history of recorded history

For a moment, I thought you meant Thin Lizzy's "Dancing In The Moonlight", which would have been a clear winner.

As big a Thin Lizzy fan as I am, I still gotta say that King Harvest is the first thing I think of when I hear the words "Dancing In The Moonlight" (thanks to childhood/hit song familiarity).

• king harvest definitley.

wasnt that on perception?

king harvest definitley.

wasnt that on perception?

Yep. And probably the biggest-selling record Perception ever had.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

I've only heard Dancin in the Moonlight. What's the rest of the LP like??

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

I've only heard Dancin in the Moonlight. What's the rest of the LP like??