Stronger than your dad?

rpmrpm 144 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Just curious.How many would say that you are stronger than your dad, now?

Comments

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I'm 26 and my dad is 58. I am stronger than my dad.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I have probably been able to beat the shit out of my dad for about 15 years now.

but I don't think I would ever do it.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Stronger = Yes
    Tougher = No

And he's 72

• I'll never be as strong as my dad.

• my father is the best man i'll ever know.

Physically? I'm stronger than he is. Everything else? I will always struggle to live up to his example. And, I thank him for it. I couldn't have asked for more from a father.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    He's 65 so, yeah, I think I could take him.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I could never pull a 36 hour shift in the boiler room of a steamship in the middle of the ocean...so, my dad wins.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Physically? Yes.
    Everything else? Not even close. Pops will always win.

Oh, and my (now deceased) grandfather trumps the both of us combined.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Let's see... my dad's 50 and a carpenter. In college he was a tree thrower for the lumberjack team so yeah... he could probably kick my ass!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Are you wiser than your dad?

I will never be as
    wise
    kind
    honest
    insightful
    as my dad was.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i might be stronger, but pops is a dirty fighter.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

My pops is still a superhero in my eyes. The man is 65 years old and still diesel (no wan test-related). He's more man than I can ever hope to be. God bless pops (Bill)!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

It is interesting to me that most all of you guys who have responded hold your father in the highest regard. Both my parents and my brother do not view their fathers in this way.

edit.it.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

It is interesting to me that most all of you guys who have responded hold your father in the highest regard. Both my parents and my brother do not view their fathers in this way.

well, to be fair, it's a lot easier to say "it's all good" or simply nothing at all than to go into depth on a record collecting forum about personal problems...

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    i took pops to the gym a couple days ago. i can definitely say i'm stronger than my dad. and his life was about as hard as mine's been (easy as shit) so i can't get all deep up in here.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts

well, to be fair, it's a lot easier to say "it's all good" or simply nothing at all than to go into depth on a record collecting forum about personal problems...

word. I was only talking about people who did respond with the hero status. Im sure there are plenty of guys that did not have the perfect situation. I just never looked at it that way before and realize now that I can never really understand the father son relationship.

But you are right. never nevermind.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I'm stronger than my dad.
    And I'm stronger than my son!

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

And I, I am stronger than EVERYONE

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

I reckon I could beat my 5 year old daughter in an arm wrestle any day. I'm just waiting for the day when she has enough pocket money to make a decent wager. I rule.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    this is a little awkward...

BUT

i beat my dad in a tennis match when i was 16 or so. it felt strange. trust me, he was a good tennis player. and a good windusrfer, gymnast and swimmer. i mean... really good! he got interested in golfing some time ago. two years practicing and BOOOOOOM... club champion, winning local tournaments and getting invitations all the time.

my dad is my hero. he had no dad when he grew up. still managed to finance college all by himself. professor at age 34.

physically: yes
    mentally: NO!!! not at all!

• HamHam 872 Posts
    maybe in arm wrestling.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    this is a little awkward...

BUT

i beat my dad in a tennis match when i was 16 or so. it felt strange. trust me, he was a good tennis player. and a good windusrfer, gymnast and swimmer. i mean... really good! he got interested in golfing some time ago. two years practicing and BOOOOOOM... club champion, winning local tournaments and getting invitations all the time.

Reminds me of the day I beat my dad playing golf. I believe that was the last time we ever played. I'm not sure if that is a coincidence or not.

But he's still physically stronger. My brother inherited his build and, like my father, is more a physical labor kind of guy (he'd probably beat Dad in an arm wrestling match). I'm not a softy or anything, but I was always the thin skateboarder kind of guy rather than the heavy lifting type. And now I'm studying to be a librarian so my chances of overtaking my father's heavy lifting ability are slim.

Hilarious idea for a thread, by the way.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    My Dad has been in two really serious car accidents, one where he heard the EMTs saying there was no way he was going to live, and he walked out of both alive.

My 93 year old grandmother is stronger than both of us though. She still hangs the laundry on the line even though she has a dryer. We have to force her not to shovel the snow. Last time I tried to do the dishes after dinner she grabbed my arm and pushed me out of the way like I wasn't even there.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    Physically, I could take my dad anyday. He's always been a more soft-spoken, bookwormy type. Former priest, but still an avid theologian. Plus he's like 70. I've got no fighting skills or experience to speak of but yet, advantage: me.

Intellectually, we're pretty evenly matched. The apple really didn't fall far from the tree. We could do some pretty heavy academic sparring if it came down to it, but he's read fuckin everything, so he's got me faded there.

Oh, and in case another thread gets started and I don't see it, i'll provide a post: Your dad could whup my dad.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    My dad is 55 years old, he had a blood clot in his leg and could have died last year... I cant even write that without crying... the doctors inserted something in his leg to try to unclog his vien but they damaged a muscle that makes him walk funny now... needless to say he's about to get paid and maybe now I can beat him at basketball... maybe... probably not...

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Last time I tried to do the dishes after dinner she grabbed my arm and pushed me out of the way like I wasn't even there.

What a wimp!

Just playing cousin!

grandmoms are the shit.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

I reckon I could beat my 5 year old daughter in an arm wrestle any day. I'm just waiting for the day when she has enough pocket money to make a decent wager. I rule.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Okay, you want some dirt...you know I've got it for you.

My dad was/is strong...worked on steamships like some sort of genius superhero, ran the Boston Marathon, bigtime hunter dude, etc.

But he was/is also quite an asshole. We had our common interests which created a whole lot of good times between us, but I probably spent more time trying to avoid his wrath than anything else I ever did growing up.

He was the kind of dad who showed an interest in me playing sports by badgering me after a game in which I scored 2 touchdowns and we won by 20 points about the one block I missed. Think Great Santini type all the way.

But I clearly remember when the tides turned on him even bothering to bully me anymore. When I was a junior in high school I played on this half-joke nightime baseball team. But I dislocated my shoulder in a fight and couldn't play any more. But I still wanted to go to the games to watch. So one Tuesday night I went to watch my teammates play with my then girlfriend. Afterwards we went back to her house (just around the corner from my house) for a very short time and then I walked home. When I got there, I sat down at the kitchen table to eat something and my dad came in and started questioning me about where I had been. I didn't think I had done anything wrong, so I just told him that I went to the game, stopped at my girl's house, and came home. He then started taking issue with me going to my girlfriend's house.

"You didn't tell us you were going over there."

"It wasn't really planned."

"Why didn't you call when you got there?"

"Because I was only there for like 10 minutes and I didn't think it was that big a deal".

"Well, it is a big deal."

"Whatever."

*SMACK*

The dumb fool hit me upside the head. I just kinda took it, got up from the table, walked out of the house, walked over to my girlfriend's house, called another friend to pick me up, and spent the night over there.

I decided not to go to school the next day as I didn't even have clothes to change into. So when I return to my house that morning, my dad is basically waiting to pounce on me. Except this time (and no, he had never really hit me before that night...as verbal intimidation typically did the trick for him), I'm not having any of it. I remember we kinda got into a skirmish and it was all me...to the point where this look of realization came over him, where it was like I could have crushed him if I wanted to...yet I held up and walked away from him. And from that point on, he changed.

Actually, he didnt change one bit. It just became much easier to blow him off knowing full well between us that if the shit ever really did hit the fan, he was definitely going to be the one taking the fall.

There you go, dads are a mixed bag. Wish I could categorically worship mine, but oh well.

• I have the utmost respect and love for my father.

I have the corresponding amount of animosity towards his father, for how he treated myself and my parents, specifically my father.

Fathers are a mixed bag.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    my dad is dead.

Thanks.