Records, Bars, and Food

redgregredgreg 96 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Hi,Not posted around here for ages and I know these posts are super common but I???m visiting the U.S in a few weeks and figured this would be a good place for advice.I???m looking for any recommendations for good clubs/bars/restaurants and of course record shops in San Fran/L.A./San Diego and Vegas.Music wise I like Soul/Funk/Disco/Boogie/Northern/Modern and House, so any bars, clubs or live gigs that play this type of music or similar please?Not asking anyone to expose their secret record spots of course but feel free to PM if you like, just looking for some places to pick up some records.Also, good places to eat?Thanks in advance!

Comments

• rookrook 357 Posts
    i'm not from around those parts. but i do know this is a damn fine record shop.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• redgregredgreg 96 Posts
    Many thanks rook and also thanks to botman for his effort.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Good Records NYC and Groove Merchant SF. Support your local Strutters.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    in SF, every last thursday of the month josh/peacefulrotation has a night at Casanova bar on valencia btwn 16th/17th.

every tues at the make out room on 22nd(?)st. btwn mission/valencia is a 60s soul night with this dude primo and other folks.

record-wise there is amoeba, groove merchant, rooky ricardos, 101 music, jacks record cellar, along with private dancers like myself, nathan/deejayom, jesse/kidinquisitive (who i think only sells on ebay now?), rodney/shitzer (who might only sell on ebay/record shows), chris/groove merchant,...

okay gotta get back to work... have a nice trip to the bay if i dont see ya...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    botman

in SF, every last thursday of the month josh/peacefulrotation has a night at Casanova bar on valencia btwn 16th/17th.

every tues at the make out room on 22nd(?)st. btwn mission/valencia is a 60s soul night with this dude primo and other folks.

record-wise there is amoeba, groove merchant, rooky ricardos, 101 music, jacks record cellar, along with private dancers like myself, nathan/deejayom, jesse/kidinquisitive (who i think only sells on ebay now?), rodney/shitzer (who might only sell on ebay/record shows), chris/groove merchant,...

okay gotta get back to work... have a nice trip to the bay if i dont see ya...

Excellent, Much appreciated jinx, Will definitely visit some of those places. Need to double check the time I???m in SF but will hopefully be around for some good nights

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Hi,

Not posted around here for ages and I know these posts are super common but I???m visiting the U.S in a few weeks and figured this would be a good place for advice.

I???m looking for any recommendations for good clubs/bars/restaurants and of course record shops in San Fran/L.A./San Diego and Vegas.

Music wise I like Soul/Funk/Disco/Boogie/Northern/Modern and House, so any bars, clubs or live gigs that play this type of music or similar please?

Not asking anyone to expose their secret record spots of course but feel free to PM if you like, just looking for some places to pick up some records.

Also, good places to eat?

Thanks in advance!

last time I was in Vegas we hit up Drai's afterhours it's downstairs at the Flamingo, honestly one of the dopest house nights I've been to since I left Chicago, although I just read somewhere that one of the dj's spins trance (yuck) but I dunno what night. here's the site. I think thurs or sat are the nights to go.

http://www.drais.net/

and if you're in LA hit up King King in hollywood, once again depends on what night you go.
    http://www.kingkinghollywood.com/

also the Vanguard in Hollywood is dope on Sundays, they do a club there called Deep, it's all deep house, I think Marques Wyatt puts it on. they get some ill dj's there.

http://deep-la.com/index.htm

last time I was in Vegas we hit up Drai's afterhours it's downstairs at the Flamingo, honestly one of the dopest house nights I've been to since I left Chicago, although I just read somewhere that one of the dj's spins trance (yuck) but I dunno what night. here's the site. I think thurs or sat are the nights to go.

http://www.drais.net/

and if you're in LA hit up King King in hollywood, once again depends on what night you go.
    http://www.kingkinghollywood.com/

also the Vanguard in Hollywood is dope on Sundays, they do a club there called Deep, it's all deep house, I think Marques Wyatt puts it on. they get some ill dj's there.

http://deep-la.com/index.htm

Thanks for the info and the links will check these out

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Hey I'm actually going to be out in LA for some private event on April 29th (Tuesday), and will be out the next evening.

Record stores, parties?

More LA suggestions PLAESE!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    for the 7inchers in SF try 18th and castro

Record stores, parties?

More LA suggestions PLAESE!

• last time I was in Vegas we hit up Drai's afterhours it's downstairs at the Flamingo, honestly one of the dopest house nights I've been to since I left Chicago, although I just read somewhere that one of the dj's spins trance (yuck) but I dunno what night. here's the site. I think thurs or sat are the nights to go.

Drai's?

Eeeesh.

Every first Friday - THE GET BACK

Every Wednesday - KRAKEN 2012

4 Record City locations in town, a Zia Records and Wax Tracks should keep you busy for a coupld days.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i have been on a tamale kick recently until it got to be 95 degrees. ive pretty much tried every spot in boyle heights and my favorite is indiana tamales on indiana st at olympic. their pork tamales are so good.

in this heat, however, i recommend the veggie macrobiotic raw spots. i like m cafe takeout. their deli salads are really good but the $15 sammiches and shit are all vegan and taste weird.

golden deli is another favorite. vietnamese. right now id go for their spring rolls and the bun bun.

oh, and israeli food like the salads and such. not the boner dogs. haifa on pico, marouch (lebanese joint) on sunset i think. carousel in north hollywood or wherevers. there's also a nicer one in glendale.

i will ride for milk cuz theyre nice to me. its this spot that makes their own foofie ice cream and baked goods. plus the coffee is bomb. there's also a ice cream joint in the hollywood area called scoops. i think its on helitrope just off melrose. not sure tho.

also, teri hawaiian in gardena. its the most authentic shave ice outside of hawaii.

im sure theres more let me think. its hot right now tho, so id suggest something salad-y and park it in a high traffic ritzy area. cuz the ladies are looking really nice in the summer get ups!

oh yeah, as far as clubs and records. i dont really go out much. just the one spot where i play records. and for records, well good luck!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    You should check out Mr. Soul Satisfaction's listing of LA soul/funk related events: http://www.mrsoulsatisfaction.com/html/LosAngelesEvents.html

I do a soul/Latin night on Thursdays at the Short Stop.

Hi,

Not posted around here for ages and I know these posts are super common but I???m visiting the U.S in a few weeks and figured this would be a good place for advice.

I???m looking for any recommendations for good clubs/bars/restaurants and of course record shops in San Fran/L.A./San Diego and Vegas.

Music wise I like Soul/Funk/Disco/Boogie/Northern/Modern and House, so any bars, clubs or live gigs that play this type of music or similar please?

Not asking anyone to expose their secret record spots of course but feel free to PM if you like, just looking for some places to pick up some records.

Thanks in advance!

dang, someone's on the circuit

white parties galore holmes

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

Drai's?

Eeeesh.

haha, maybe it's not usually dope? I only went once when I was out there for AVN and it was dope, dude had a live drummer there and was playing some of the best deep vocal house I had never heard. The crowd was pretty lame but the music was solid.

• Hi,

Thanks in advance!

What month? around what time?

• Wax Tracks

LOL @ "The Circuit"

I used to work at "Circus Disco"/"Arena".

Will staying in West Hollywood, please to point me in the right direction to those crispy 12inchers you speak of and scene info would be a bonus

Cheers

Many thanks for all the replies, there seems to be a good few nights but I will miss a few due to dates, really wanted to check Funkmosphere.

My dates are San Fran 3-8, Vegas 8-12, San Diego 12-15, L.A. 15-20 April.

Thanks Shig for your impressive food run down, looking good!

Any other essential Record stores?

Thanks again for the info & links.

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    The homie Yosaku in LA has this going on:

Wednesday, April, 16 2008
    TIGHTEN UP
    with Yosaku + Chaka
    at Zanzibar, 1301 5th St.,
    Santa Monica, California 90401
    Cost : $5.00

Serving up: Brazilian, Latin, Jazzy, House, Broken/Afro Beats!

http://www.myspace.com/yosaku

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Redgreg,

On the food front..I was just in San Diego a few weeks ago and I very much enjoyed:

http://www.hashhouseagogo.com/

There was a record store about 5 blocks away, but I cant remember the name.
    I bet the HashHouse folks could point you in the right direction.

Also, when ion SD, be sure to eat at RUBIOS Fish Tacos. It's now a chain , but its still real good.

Cheers,
    mrmatthew

whoa that hash house looks good! like expensive redneck vittles. i love me some hash. all kinds.

hash is the ultimate in low brow foods. its basically leftovers. most cultures have some version of hash, caserole, oden, soup, stew. i love that idea cuz its your most rudimentary food macguyver move.
    but rubios? there are a bunch of other spots for good fish tacos. namely, tijuana, but i know there is at least 3 in SE san diego.