Finley, WA Man Preserves The Past With Vinyl (link

johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
http://www.tri-cityherald.com/901/story/135391.htmlUnfortunately the online article doesn't have the photos of him in his living room singing karaoke or the racks of records that are all "had it" but there's video.BTW - Finley is a town about 10 minutes away, literally over the bridge for me, near the town where the police used to tie up black men on telephone poles in the late 60's and early 70's if they happened to be in town after 6pm, and they would call the police in Pasco to "pick 'em up". Country music had always been king here, but in the last few years the "locals" have been bombarded with an increase in "tejano fans", and the locals find every opportunity to organize and create laws that will ban them.Anyway, from the article:
Jim McGuinn, owner of Hot Poop music store in Walla Walla, said playing a record has a ritual to it that's not there with CDs or MP3s. He recalled a customer whose son would take the vinyl record from the sleeve and blow the dust off just as he had seen the dad do.
It's an odd feeling to listen to someone who has passed on, but you're listening to their recording," Albers said. "And it's like they're there right there in that room with you."
Overall the guy has a good spirit, and it beats that guy who had an article about his Tiffany memorabilia.

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I think I have seen him at record shows.

It's a nice story because he never talks about the $value of the records, just the sentimental value.