Can't miss rap acts (LIVE on stage)

DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Rap acts are pretty hit and miss. In fact I hardly bother seeing them. Everytime something comes by I do some research and generally hear negative things. Well, after reading the Shock G thread ( http://soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=377356&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1#Post37748) I gotta ask what acts are worth seeing and which ones should be missed.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Doug E Fresh @ Wherever u can see him.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

I`ve seen the Roots at least a dozen times, but it was all between the years of 1993 and about 2000. I haven`t seen them recently but I must say at least back in that era they were very hard to front on. Even when they blew up they kept their shows tight musically, long, with a good mix of styles and material, i.e. never played exclusively new material or exclusively old material, did covers, etc. Consistently worth the cover price.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    yeah, i've seen The Roots a few times. thoroughly enjoyed.

i've only seen Little Brother once but they tore the roof off the joint.

KRS was pretty dope live except for the endless openers and his recent material.

Ugly Duckling was good fa sho.

• EscalanteEscalante 197 Posts
    The Roots and Busta Rhymes. Always impressed and entertained everytime I see them. Kweli also puts on a great show.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    Common is usually consisent as well as the Beastie Boys.

Related note (don`t mean to hijack), but Mos Def put on the hands down worst peice a shit show I`ve ever seen in Davis, CA in Spring. I left early.

• Chuck_HussChuck_Huss 145 Posts
    Doug E Fresh @ Wherever u can see him.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    Big Daddy Kane

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Kool Keith, err at least it was a good show when I saw him live about 4 years ago, Kut Masta Kurt killed it too!

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    -THE ROOTS are the most consistant
    -Snoop sounds just like his records which is raer in the "cup-the-mic" world of emcee's
    -Beastie Boys really did an amazing performance..
    opening act Talib Kweli with special guests, Mos Def and Common. They tore it down (side note to Mos hater up there... that sucks you had a bad experience but I will back Mos on usually delievering a good show) Those three were fucking breakin on stage together..

The beasties still have amazing energy.. fucking bouncing around all over the stage.. they did three sets the second was them on instraments.. chillin in blue ruffle tuxs and a chill backyard BBQ stage... to top it off right before the besasties come on they always give Mix Master Mike his intro.. I'll break it down, remember this was at Universal Amphitheatre.

So the lights go down and this weird break starts playing.. and on the video screen you see this Universal Studios tour tram zipping around... as it gets closer only one person is on it.. MMM.. the crowd is going nuts.. still no lights just the video screen... he hops off and enters at the hospitality area with the camera following in front of him... as he is walking through all these people are saying whats up to him... fucking tommy lee jumps out at him and gives a pound....actually that was really funny......
    Mike's flashing two copies of his battle breaks and makes his way onto the stage where his tables are waiting and then this... ..
    then the beasties come running out in hoodies that have their names on it.. fucking so old school They were probably the best ever

PEACE

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Big Daddy Kane

Good, I was waiting for this mention.

Wednesday night in Brooklyn folls.... And yu say New York City?
    If I don't bump into any BK strutters there I'll know you all

That's Weds 7pm Brower Park in Crown Heights
    $FREE w/ J. Period. .

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

-Snoop sounds just like his records which is raer in the "cup-the-mic" world of emcee's
    Really? Everytime I've seen him live on TV he sounds awful. Totally off the beat and such. Are you sure he wasn't lip syncing it?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Big Daddy Kane and KRS-ONE both put on great shows at African Fest in MilwauKKKee last summer. Only thing about KRS is that I find his long soliloquy's annoying.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Big Daddy Kane
    $FREE w/ J. Period. .
    as in Shawn J Period? or someone else?

I've seen dudes a couple times pretty recently and have been thinking: What's up with Mike D? Looks like dude is wasting away. Sorta concerned about him.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

I've seen dudes a couple times pretty recently and have been thinking: What's up with Mike D? Looks like dude is wasting away. Sorta concerned about him.

Just one of those misguided Vegans that insist he looks "healthy". Serious, there's been rumors going around for years saying he's got Aids. It just ain't true.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    digital underground was the best show i've ever seen(back when sex packets came out). recently best throwback/old school show would be big daddy kane. peace, stein. . .

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Shit, I saw Digital Underground open for Kane back in 89. That was a sick show.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Big Daddy Kane

Oh yea.

Ugly Duckling fo sho.

Kid Koala fo sho.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    The Roots

KRS One

Kool Keith, err at least it was a good show when I saw him live about 4 years ago, Kut Masta Kurt killed it too!

^cosign on this one, i saw him about 3 years ago and his show was intense, then i saw him a few months ago in AZ and his shit was garbage, and i left after the second song...all he did was try to get young girls to show their tits, no thanks.

other noteables...

Ghostface
    MF Doom
    De La Soul

• the Roots(10 yrs ago),Common Sense did it right,Pharaoh Monch(sp?) was dope

kool keith sucked

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Just one of those misguided Vegans that insist he looks "healthy". Serious, there's been rumors going around for years saying he's got Aids. It just ain't true.
    last time i saw him, i was positive he was smoking speed... but he's still fresh.
    back to KOOL KEITH... i like how he throws out bags of garbage (chicken bones, candy wrappers) to fans who scramble to grab that shit... oops!

• I've seen dudes a couple times pretty recently and have been thinking: What's up with Mike D? Looks like dude is wasting away. Sorta concerned about him.

last time i saw him, i was positive he was smoking speed... but he's still fresh.

back to KOOL KEITH... i like how he throws out bags of garbage (chicken bones, candy wrappers) to fans who scramble to grab that shit... oops!

MJ, those are usually not garbage but actually gives the crowd a meal from a chicken spot.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    the roots

rahzel live was dope as hell

beasties never disappointed me

de la soul was tight too