batteries(bad when placed on the ground)

DIGGADIGGADIGGADIGGA 456 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
ok,anybody who takes there portables everywhere with them.is it bad when you lay the turntable flat on the ground,does this kill your batteries faster??,does the boombox theory still apply to portables?

Comments

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    sorry, but there is no logical reason why this would ever occur.
    -k

• DIGGADIGGADIGGADIGGA 456 Posts
    gravity maybe?!?!? i would ask RADIO RAHEEM but he dead!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    ok,anybody who takes there portables everywhere with them.is it bad when you lay the turntable flat on the ground,does this kill your batteries faster??,does the boombox theory still apply to portables?

I've been wondering about this for the last 25 years. It was passed down from my parents, but according to this site, no. The myth has been revealed:

http://www.ibsa.com/www_2001/content/faqs/tech_talk/maintenance/storing.htm

[color:red]Will storing my battery on concrete drain the charge?[/b][/color]

No. Regarding today's batteries, this is a myth. A battery placed on concrete will not discharge any faster, but a battery will discharge over a period of time wherever it is placed. If the battery has a surface layer of acid or grime which is conductive, the battery will self-discharge more rapidly than if it were clean and dry.

This myth does have some historical basis. Many years ago, wooden battery cases encased a glass jar with the battery in it. Any moisture on the floor could cause the wood to swell and possibly fracture the glass, causing it to leak. Later came the introduction of the "hard rubber" cases, which were somewhat porous. A current could be conducted through this container, which had a high carbon content, if the moist concrete floor permitted the current to find an electrical ground. The wise advise of the old days to "not store batteries on concrete" has apparently been passed down to us today, but it no longer applies.

• DIGGADIGGADIGGADIGGA 456 Posts

I've been wondering about this for the last 25 years. It was passed down from my parents, but according to this site, no. The myth has been revealed:
    http://www.ibsa.com/www_2001/content/faqs/tech_talk/maintenance/storing.htm

[color:red]Will storing my battery on concrete drain the charge?[/b][/color]
    No. Regarding today's batteries, this is a myth. A battery placed on concrete will not discharge any faster, but a battery will discharge over a period of time wherever it is placed. If the battery has a surface layer of acid or grime which is conductive, the battery will self-discharge more rapidly than if it were clean and dry.

This myth does have some historical basis. Many years ago, wooden battery cases encased a glass jar with the battery in it. Any moisture on the floor could cause the wood to swell and possibly fracture the glass, causing it to leak. Later came the introduction of the "hard rubber" cases, which were somewhat porous. A current could be conducted through this container, which had a high carbon content, if the moist concrete floor permitted the current to find an electrical ground. The wise advise of the old days to "not store batteries on concrete" has apparently been passed down to us today, but it no longer applies.

good looks