BEATLES or STONES strut?

Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
IMHO ... THE BEATLES..I remember as child listening to each album and having a new favorite each month. As the later albums go I felt they told a long story. I would listen front to back, just beautiful songs. a lot of my friends are Stones fans, and I love the Stones as well, but I have always stayed strong to my love of the Beatles. What say you all?

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Don't know why it always has to be one or the other, but if I had to choose.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Little Richard

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I'm a Beatles junkie, no surprise there. I like the Rolling Stones a lot as well, saw them in 1989, and while I have most of their albums, there's still quite a bit I don't have. With the amount of music they have, one can take the time to explore it, whether it's the Abkco-owned material, the original Rolling Stones Records-era, the post-WEA stuff, and everything else. There's more than enough bootlegs to hunt down too.

But to me that's a bit like asking if one prefers Miles Davis over John Coltrane, and I can't get enough of either.

The Stones cause they tried Disco.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    i'd go with the beatles but I really need a bit of stones education. What do you guys think is their best effort... I do tend to like the rawer stones shit i hear.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Beatles!

• i'd go with the beatles but I really need a bit of stones education. What do you guys think is their best effort... I do tend to like the rawer stones shit i hear.

If it's raw Stones you like, these are the two:

Funny, those two strike me as the more heavily-produced
    Stones LP's of the 60's, not the most "raw."

Popular Best Vs. Most Raw?

• Funny, those two strike me as the more heavily-produced

I see what is meant by raw.

By your definition then, I'd say December's Children.

i'd go with the beatles but I really need a bit of stones education. What do you guys think is their best effort... I do tend to like the rawer stones shit i hear.

It depends what you define as raw. Some like the band when Brian Jones was still around, some preferring everything they did before 1967, some hating Their Satanic Majesties Request[/b], others going for what they did during the "Jumping Jack Flash" and Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out[/b] album, some just going for 1971-1978, and then... who knows.

For me, I'd go for:
    Got Live If You Want It[/b]
    Aftermath[/b]
    Their Satanic Majesties Request[/b]
    Beggars Banquet[/b]
    Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out[/b]
    Let It Bleed[/b]
    Sticky Fingers[/b]
    Exile On Main Street[/b]
    Goats Head Soup[/b]
    Black & Blue[/b]
    Some Girls[/b]
    Emotional Rescue[/b]
    Love You Live[/b]

Comp-wise:
    Through The Past Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2)[/b]
    Hot Rocks[/b]
    More Hot Rocks[/b]
    Sucking In The Seventies[/b]
    Rewind[/b]

If you want to just explore their early (pre-Sticky Fingers[/b]) singles, I would definitely pick up Singles Collection: The London Years[/b], which on vinyl was a 5LP set.

With them, you have to go through a lot of different time periods to enjoy. I think the Singles Collection[/b] is great for the bulk of the early stuff, and as you know, what they did on their singles and what they did for albums were often two different entities, especially as they moved through the late 60's. Then you can pick up Sticky Fingers[/b], which will eventually lead you to Exile On Main Street[/b], originally a double LP and the one that continues to get a lot of praise (as most double albums did back then). Reading on the album's history is enough to take up a few days, but it does live up to the hype and is one hell of an album. Then you can jump around throughout the 70's and 80's, and go from there.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    With their absolutely BAD drummer... it could never be the Stones...

Beatles all the way!!!!!!!!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    apples and oranges.

i'll take em both.

however i think i could listen to the beatles forever and the stones might get old after a bit. beatles stuff is more lush and interesting.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Funny, those two strike me as the more heavily-produced

I see what is meant by raw.

By your definition then, I'd say December's Children.

If we're gonna talk about raw Stones, don't sleep on the self-titled first album! Garage-rock goodness, all the way.

I could never choose between one and the other. Both are equally good, although broken down to sheer numbers, I have more Stones albums (12) than Beatles (6). I suspect it's because I went through a phase a few years ago where I just had to get all the Stones albums from '67 on back.

For me, I'd go for:

Why would you ever listen to a bunch of
    Stones singles with crowd noise dubbed on top?

• STONES

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

For me, I'd go for:

The idea of something being made for the sake of contractual obligation turns me on. I find the process of overdubbing as a means to sell a quality product quite funny, especially when the public thinks it's genuine.

I like it for that reason.

*Trivia: I won a radio contest to see the Rolling Stones in 1989, where I had to guess 10 songs in an audio collage. Just to say that I could, I also spotted the crowd noise during the audio collage as being from Got Live If You Want It[/b], and I put that as my 11th answer. When my name was selected, they called me and the DJ goes "how in the hell did you figure out the crowd noise? Even I didn't know it was that until I read your answer, and out of curiosity I had to see if that's what it was. Even the staff at the radio station were baffled."

I had an answer all planned, but I basically said "in case there was a tie, I wanted that to be the tiebreaker, just in case." What I was going to tell them that I knew what point in the record it was because of the few chords the band was playing before they started to play, and I knew it was that song.

BTW - the crowd effect used was from the intro to "The Last Time".

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Can I vote, for Black Sabbath?

- spidey

• IMHO ... THE BEATLES..

Can I vote, for Black Sabbath?

- spidey

Yes you can!

Can I vote for homemade sweet potato pie?

For me, I'd go for:

The idea of something being made for the sake of contractual obligation turns me on. I find the process of overdubbing as a means to sell a quality product quite funny, especially when the public thinks it's genuine.

I like it for that reason.

Then I'll bet you must love Chuck Berry On Stage. Or that B.B. King live album on Kent/United.

Then I'll bet you must love Chuck Berry On Stage. Or that B.B. King live album on Kent/United.

Mock albums are great.

Can I vote for homemade sweet potato pie?

Mock albums are great.

Don't blame ya.

Especially when the MC and audience sound 10x more excited than the performer. Those two albums I mentioned above have the greatest stage intros in the history of history - and the guy they were introducing wasn't even in the same room!

Mock albums are great.

Don't blame ya.

Especially when the MC and audience sound 10x more excited than the performer. Those two albums I mentioned above have the greatest stage intros in the history of history - and the guy they were introducing wasn't even in the same room!

I just find them funny. The Moments live album from the black beauty pageant, the crowd sounds on that are a mess. There's also a Three Dog Night one that sounds bothced up too.

Mock albums are great.

Don't blame ya.

I just find them funny. The Moments live album from the black beauty pageant, the crowd sounds on that are a mess. There's also a Three Dog Night one that sounds bothced up too.

Joe Tex's Live & Lively had overdubbed crowd noise too, but at least he knew how to WORK with it. Towards the end of "That's Life," he's going on and on about how he loves it here in Detroit and how he'd let the show go on longer, but the Musicians' Union won't let him!!! And in the meantime, here's this dubbed crowd in a Nashville studio clapping like crazy...

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I ride for the Beatles musical abilities.

I ride for the Stones ability to live on nothing but coke, booze and VD.