how do you lift the tonearm?

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
do you use the lever? lift by the little handle that sticks off the headshell? some other bizarre way? i only use the lever if i wanna "pause" a record that ive never listened to before. otherwise i just lift with the little handle on the headshell. 99.99% of the time i can set the needle exactly where i mean to. and i cant remember the last time the needle slid across even one groove. i guess so much needle-dropping gets you used to these things.however i see some people with straaange techniques. my co-worker who has PLENTY of records that would make my head spin, who i would expect to know the workings of a turntable in and out (after all, he DJs a lot) was moving the tonearm on a record at work one time, and he was lifting by the middle of the tonearm. needless to say, every time he moved it there was some "ZZZZ" across the grooves. it boggled my mind that somebody with such a huge collection and so much experience DJing parties and so-forth would seem like he was touching a turntable for the first time.ive also seen people push down on the rear weight to lift the needle and then release to set it down. cringe alert....that shit would slide across ENTIRE tracks. needless to say, the guy i knew who did this had an entire collection of "new" rinked records....

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    by the little handle that sticks off the headshell[/b]

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

it drives me nuts when cats are playing on my tables and leave those levers up.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    ---- seizures?

yes! thanks though.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    i actually just grab the headshell between my fingers. My friend jeremy said its wierd the way i do it.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    The only time I use the lever is if I'm listen to whole LP side and the phone rings or I have to go to the bathroom. I'm basically using it as a "place saver" until I get back. Otherwise I use that little finger hook that sticks off the headshell.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    MAKE THAT BOOTY CLAP BOPPER.

I wonder if that young lady can lift the tonearm between those baby booty cheeks of hers. that would be cool. skeet skate.

new thread: "DO YOU LET YOUR FRIENDS/HOUSEGUESTS PLAY YOUR RECORDS WITH THEIR ASS?"

• Honestly, I got shaky hand syndrome, so I use the lever quite a bit.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

Always. I had a bunch of friends over a couple of weeks ago, and the next day I thought something was terribly wrong with one of my turntables. Turned out the lever was just up ever-so-slightly, so it would play, but skip at the slightest bass thump or imperfection. I was not amused.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Depends on the record...

Raer gets the lever treatment

Whatever else, I have no problem with the headshell handle

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    MAKE THAT BOOTY CLAP BOPPER.

I wonder if that young lady can lift the tonearm between those baby booty cheeks of hers. that would be cool. skeet skate.

new thread: "DO YOU LET YOUR FRIENDS/HOUSEGUESTS PLAY YOUR RECORDS WITH THEIR ASS?"

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I couldn't tell you actually. One of my employees does it for me.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    With my mind

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    Honestly, I got shaky hand syndrome, so I use the lever quite a bit.

99% of the time, for me.

• David Blaine that bitch.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    headshell...my tables don't have that little lever

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Finger around the pop-up light.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Finger around the pop-up light.