Shock G calls it quits

djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Sad news for fans but I'm glad he's gonna be doing what makes him happy...This was posted over on westcoast2k, I wish the dude all the best.Shock G calls it quits:"I'm retiring from all forms of studio work and song writing.My reasons for retiring are:1. I get no satisfaction or fullfillment from it anymore. It doesn't make me happy. On the contrary, it depresses me.Normally I'm not depressed, it's only surrounding the studio. I'm happy when I'm away from the studio.2. Can't make a living at it. 90% of the studio work I've done in the last 6 years has all been either for free or for peanuts, and hasn't generated any income since.3. It drives me to do drugs, cause I HATE BEING IN THE STUDIO. To much pressure & expectation for me to make/save/spark someone elses career or project.4. I quit the studio. Fuck the studio.5. I can't win in the studio, It's pointless, it's a "catch 22" for me, watch:If what I do sucks, it tarnishes the legacy, hurts the family, and even lowers the price, and also leaves the artists & involved-companies unhappy;But if what I do shines, it generates more studio work for the future, and furthur traps me in the music business, a business I have no intention of slaving to the rest of my life. I gave it 20 years. I'm done.6. Every man has the right to the pursuit of happiness and should first try a job that he might gain happiness & fullfillment from. This doesn't make me happy anymore, it makes me miserable and a drug addict.7. I'm done widdit. Whew!YES, it already feels great already just to say it!!!I most likely will try my hand at some of these:- Writing (Afeni assures me this is my true calling everytime she see's me. Maybe she's right?)- Acting- Stage performing, meaning accepting tours or positions in other bands doing keys & background vocals. (IF it's real and if the moneys good. No amatuer or free stuff anymore.)- Regular jobs in service (like clubs, hotels, TV show bands or staff, resturants, who knows?)- And of course still do digital tours cause it PAYS and people don't expect me & Mon (grown men) to work for free, like all the studio requests. I'm 42 and have wants/needs/bills/responsibilities.So there it is, spread the word, I quit.I don't make beats, I don't do vocals, I don't write vocals, NONE OF IT.Those of you who are friends, will be happy for me. Happy that I shook something that was making me miserable.Those of you who had plans to "use" or manipulate me at the expense of my own health & happiness, will be upset about this. All I can say to those would be, you're free to do whatever you wish, and so am I.I choose to QUIT.there it is.Thanx everybody, spread the word"Shock

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    He had a nice run. Its always good to bow out gracefully.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Wow. I guess I'm happy for dude. You can't live that life forever. I read recently that he's been totally sober for a while--said he feels great. If this will help keep him healthy, I'm sure it'll make him happy, too.

I hope he finds something that will fulfill him. He seems like a very cool dude (cue Herm's Shock G story).

• I'll never forget I got to chill backstage with him when I was doing college radio and he runs off the stage to catch his breath and drink some water, and I was like 'ah i wanted to hear the piano man solo', he goes oh you wanna hear it my bad, and runs out and does the keyboard solo from whos got the gravy album. Him and money B put on an excellent live show. Sucks he was so underappreciated particularly for his work on "I got Five on It" and of course uncredited for "I get around" Tupacs best song. Plus he hooked Saafir up with with some ill beats.

• Thats too bad. I seen him live on stage with Murs, and they killed it. Shock is MAD talented, not only with the rhymes, but he had a keyboard, MPC, and turntables on stage and he was crafting the music and the beats live. I hope he changes his mind and gets picked up by a label that will pay him well, the dude is a true Hip-Hop artist.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Maybe it's corny, but I like when old-guard rap artists make delibrate, sensible life choices and seem in control of their own destinies. It's so rare, and there's something affirming about it.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts
    Respect! When was the last time you heard an MC speaking that frankly and honest about his art and the business ????

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Shock G and Digital Underground are crazy influential (2Pac and then some!!!) but very underappreciated. It's good that Shock G is doing what makes him happier and healthier, I just can't help but get a little bit sad that a man like this has to go through shit now just to have his legacy re-discovered in 30 years time or whatever. I guess that's how it always goes. Too bad

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I just feel bad because now dude is 42 years old and has to enter the real world. Has he ever even held down a real for real job? That's some hard sh*t to do if you've been living the musician's life for almost your whole adulthood (I see too many of these stories.. thank goodness I never quit my day jobby job!). But he says he's happy, so I'm happy for him. I remember opening for him and PE back in 1990... very cool dude from what I recall. Also very talented and brought some original concepts to the rap game. Good luck on your life's path from here, Shock.

• anasarcasmanasarcasm 365 Posts
    This reminds me of this article D-nice wrote called "Searching for Derrick Jones"

"Recently, a few things happened in my life that forced me to confront my demons. I learned that many of the decisions I????????ve made may have been great for D-Nice the DJ, but detrimental to Derrick Jones the man. I????????m learning to curb the desire to always deejay by establishing new guidelines for myself. I can????????t lose site of the big picture!"

"Searching For Derrick Jones"