BOSTON HEADZ - JAMES BROWN DOC PREVIEW

DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
edited March 2008 in Announcements
VH1 just finished a documentary about James Brown's legendary 1968 Boston concert following the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr. Since they used a ton of our footage, they're holding a free public preview screening at WGBH. If you're around you should come down. Don't forget to RSVP.VH1 Rock Doc: The Night James Brown Saved Boston[/b]Join director David Leaf, James Brown's manager Charles Bobbit, Northeastern University Professor Robert Hall, and producer Russ Morash for the world premiere and panel discussion at WGBH.Online RSVP Required When[/b]: Monday, March 31; 6:30pm Where[/b]:WGBH One Guest StreetBrighton, MA 02135617-300-5400 Tickets[/b]: Free and open to the public; RSVP required RSVP

Comments

• Sounds good but isnt this is the second or third documentary on that particular concert?

Peace,

Dress

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Sounds good but isnt this is the second or third documentary on that particular concert?

Peace,

Dress

Yeah, we've (WGBH) already presented the concert and an episode of Say Brother that discussed the concert, and I think there was another doc too. But it's VH1???they're not exactly trailblazers, you know? VH1 is music television for people not hip enough to listen to top 40 or classic rock radio.

Links to the audio of the concert and the Say Brother episode.

Update:

The reception has been moved back to 6:15, and I will be DJing it. And by DJing, I mean just cueing up records and enjoying the refreshments. Hopefully, this will include wine and beer.

Also:

The panel discussion will be available for online streaming on the WGBH Forum Network. It will also be available on Comcast On Demand in Boston. Go to ???Get Local??? from the On Demand main menu, then choose ???Specials.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Sometimes I think a riot in Boston would not have
    been a bad thing. There certainly was cause for it.

But I guess those 1968 Boston cops would have probably
    killed alot of pretty innocent motherfuckers if it had
    gone down like that ... it's just the whole "James Brown
    saved Boston" thing always sounded a little like whitey
    saying "thanks, JB, for saving us from those crazy blacks!"
    when Boston was a city that, honestly, might have deserved
    to burn ...

... if it wasn't in announcements, it could be a

• Sometimes I think a riot in Boston would not have

to burn ...

SoI with the knowledge dropped.

Sometimes I think a riot in Boston would not have

to burn ...

Indeed. A riot might have blown out some of the pressure that later erupted during the METCO busing of the ???70s. It wasn't for nothing that Boston was considered one of the most racist cities in the Northeast for decades. Competition for jobs and resources between poor and working class European immigrants and the Black poor and working class residents they're trying to displace has a way of fomenting racism. We still have a racist reputation in many parts of the country. In the last decade or two, though, the dynamics have shifted so that the recent immigrant waves are coming from Central and South America.

Anyway, The Night James Brown Saved Boston is VH1's title, and I agree, it's pretty terrible.