ANY MIDDLE EASTERN MUSIC EXPERTS OUT THERE?

FlashaFlasha 20 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Hi there,am working on a piece on Middle Eastern records and could do with some help.Are there any Middle Eastern experts out there?I know a lot of the music is (has been) mostly released on cassette and cd format but this piece is on vinyl releases mostly.Please get in touch if you can help or contribute in any way.A big thank you in advance,best,Sacha

Comments

• Options
    Like Bollywood Records you mean?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    India is a little too East to be part of the Middle East...it's more the western part of Asia that's considered to be the Middle East - yea...ask last century's Europeans. Near East (for example, Turkey) was close to Europe and Far East (like China) was farther from it and so...

I'm pretty sure Flasha's asking about records from places like Iran, Iraq, Palestine, Lebanon, Jordan, Egypt, Yemen, Syria, UAE, Israel and Saudi Arabia....maybe even Turkey and Armenia? I don't know what folks are saying these days, but I think for a while some N African countries were also considered to be in the Middle East.

• If you have to ask, it isn't Turkish Psych or Breaks.

• FlashaFlasha 20 Posts
    Thanks very much for your replies.

It's a vast area and lots of different music I know!

I'm not really looking at classic or traditional stuff as I think I'm ok with that (unless you think it's amazing and unmissable).

I need suggestions on more obscure bits, forgotten gems and preferably all on vinyl.

Stuff like "Rhythms of the Orient" by Omar Khorshid, Salah Ragab stuff, Iranian Pop/Funk/Beat (Googoosh etc.), Turkish Arabesque, Jazz, Psych (Arif Sag, Baris Manco, Mogol), Iraq a la Sublime Frequencies...looking for unusual, obscure, forgotten 45s and Lps that are real gems.

Countries I'm looking at are Lebanon, Egypt, Israel, Iraq, Iran, Syria, North Africa and a few bits on Turkey (Turkish stuff will have a piece on its own, so don't need to go into that too much but will still be included).

The piece is trying to reach both the collectors and unitiated too.

• What is the piece for?

I might have some info on Sudan that you can use. I was there 1,5 years ago and met with musicians and a label owner.

Peace,

Dress

• FlashaFlasha 20 Posts
    Hi Dress,

thanks for the message, yeah please pm your email address so that we can communicate about it, thanks.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Thanks very much for your replies.

It's a vast area and lots of different music I know!

I'm not really looking at classic or traditional stuff as I think I'm ok with that (unless you think it's amazing and unmissable).

I need suggestions on more obscure bits, forgotten gems and preferably all on vinyl.

Stuff like "Rhythms of the Orient" by Omar Khorshid, Salah Ragab stuff, Iranian Pop/Funk/Beat (Googoosh etc.), Turkish Arabesque, Jazz, Psych (Arif Sag, Baris Manco, Mogol), Iraq a la Sublime Frequencies...looking for unusual, obscure, forgotten 45s and Lps that are real gems.

Countries I'm looking at are Lebanon, Egypt, Israel, Iraq, Iran, Syria, North Africa and a few bits on Turkey (Turkish stuff will have a piece on its own, so don't need to go into that too much but will still be included).

The piece is trying to reach both the collectors and unitiated too.

i have a professor, Deborah Kapchan, who works in Morocco. Try searching for her anme in Project Muse or Jstor. She presented a paper about a year ago on Berber music culture, that focused on the music's commodification.

Anopther professor of mine, Barbara Kirhsneblatt-Gimblett, does work for UNESCO on cultural preservation. She is somehow involved in a program that focuses on the preservation of intangible heritage eg: music. I'm not sure how much of this work gets involved in the cultures you are looking at, but you might want to look into UNESCO's webpage for more details.