Live 8 yay or nay?

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
Did anyone watch any of the concerts on MTV this weekend? what you think?

my observations:

- i'm not even a fan of ratm, but chris cornell singing 'killing in the name' with audioslave was one of the most cringeworthy things i have seen in a while. although i think dude has an okay singing voice. his northwestern accent was really obvious when he tried to do zach de la rocha yelly vocals. it sounded so awkward.

- when "The Who" played i couldn't stop thinking how excited the drummer and the bassist must have felt about keith moon and john entwistle kicking the bucket

- daryl hannah 'bladerunner' eye makeup seemed to dominate the stage. the women in kanye's string section sported that and michael stipe had the blue man group version of it.

- paul mccartney is tired, could have seen less of him, could have heard 'hey jude' one less time. roxy music on the other hand, i was actually kind of excited about seeing, but they didn't even air it.

- was dissappointed there weren't more contemporary hip hop acts, but they let bands like the killers on the bill? obviously i would have preferred to see jay-z without linkin park as well. that dude's voice is like a bunch of birds pecking at the ear drum

Comments

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    consider yourselves lucky you werent subjected to the canadian version

the grandfinale was neil young basically dueting on keep on rockin in the free world with the singer from buckcherry (WTF????) while gordon lightfoot stood by looking very confused and the bare naked ladies chowed down on the catering table.

truely truely pathetic.

Macca needs to retire.. or at least realise that he wrote more songs than let it be, the long and winding road and hey jude...

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    I watched the whole Hyde Park gig.

I'd say Pete Doherty was the biggest joke of the day, followed by that foll Madonna who went into swearing overkill mode at like 6:30 in the evenin - was there any need? Sayin.

Coldplay, Pink Floyd, The Who, Annie Lennox and Razorlight were all good within the context of the line-up.

Over all a good show I'd say, and for a good cause.

Peace.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Politics: It was geared to raise awarness and it did. Good Thing.

I saw on tv: Annie Lenox, I hated the Eurythmics, but she was kinda good there at the piano. Kayne West, I thought that was great. Something eles in Philly I am forgetting, and the Hey Jude [ehh/]

Heard on the radio: Neal Young on piano singing song about "Is this what God would want". What is the story on that song? Neil's? Old on an lp I should Know?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i wonder how much money bob geldof & co pulled in compared to the first live aid. it is a good cause and all but i wished they talked more about the genocide in darfur in addition to aids and poverty

wow i am really glad i missed out on neil young then. yeah macca needs to retire. i am glad he at least did helter skelter though cause i didn't appreciate until recently how heavy that song sounds.

the live 8 logo is pretty awesome though.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    i wonder how much money bob geldof & co pulled in compared to the first live aid.

i don't believe they were trying to raise money this time, just "awareness"

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,890 Posts
    Check out these pictures of all of the trash left in Philly after Live 8.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Check out these pictures of all of the trash left in Philly after Live 8.

I remember when this was a normal day in Philly...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    that dude's voice is like a bunch of birds pecking at the ear drum

LOL!!

Definitely glad I missed Chris Cornell doing Rage songs. I was never a cheerleader for RATM, but I always kind of quietly liked/respected them. I think the main thing was the whole "this was recorded live in-studio with no effects or samples" policy, I really liked Tom Morello's style of making the guitar a percussive instrument, he knew how to make a track sound raw. I never understand why they felt the need to "sell out" and start Audioslave, since Rage were hugely popular, at least, why politics went from everything to nothing overnight for 3/4 of the band...

• Don't forget that Neil Yougn was helped out on this number by none other than Kevin Federline. That's right, Britney Spear's manpris-loving baby's daddy singing Rocking In The Free World. Classy.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    I was watching the MTV coverage...ughhh...Pink Floyd is playing Comfortably Numb and the fucking VJ in the middle of the song says, "I can't believe we're actually listening to Comfortabley Numb!" Like I didn't know that you stupid shit. What a fucking moron.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    the key was to watch the AOL feeds on your computer. then you could watch every concert w/ no commercials. i saw Roxy Music on the paris feed. shit was ILL. i saw 'em do Love is the Drug, Do the Strand, and Jealous Guy. All were sick, made me wish i saw them llive a few years back. oh, and the Cure were sick, too. I own no Cure records, but now I want all their early records, b/c i shit you not, they were great...

besides that i can't believe i wasted my afternoon staying inside watching this, because most of it SUCKED. seeing the linkin park guy rap with jay z over Big Pimpin' instead of UGK was so embarrising it was painful. it was like watching your uncle on stage with the Rolling Stones instead of Bill Wyman. seriously, that dude in Linkin Park would get booed off the stage at Weds. Night open mike in East Bumfuck, what is he doing with Jigga?

the pink floyd reunion was good. i hate later pink floyd, but they sounded tight and full of energy. velvet revolver seemed like a fun dumb rock band and it was cool to see Slash rock out. besides that, it was pretty forgettable shit.

the key was to watch the AOL feeds on your computer. then you could watch every concert w/ no commercials. i saw Roxy Music on the paris feed. shit was ILL. i saw 'em do Love is the Drug, Do the Strand, and Jealous Guy. All were sick, made me wish i saw them llive a few years back. oh, and the Cure were sick, too.

damn, thanks for the info. i just watched the video of Do the Strand. Bryan Ferry is cool as hell. dude moves like he's 25 still. I missed the reunion tour too, but i heard it was badass. You should peep the Musikladen dvd of Roxy Music in 1972 when Eno was still in it. Its greatness is beyond words. Pretty sure that even Netflix/Greencine carry it

oh shit, look what i found:

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Good to see some Roxy fans on SS. Not many folks like this album, but "Manifesto" is an underappreciated gem in their catalog, IMO. The drums are so crisp on this LP!

SG

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    nice... bryan ferry is, in the words of steven king, slicker than owl shit...
    that being said, i think it's a funny indication of british class consciousness that i once read an article in a UK newspaper about upperclass women wanting a working class "bit of rough' and bryan ferry was one of the examples... only in the UK can being involved with the smoothest, most debonair, international jetsetting rich rock star be considered "slumming"...

i'll have to check that DVD out...

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    nice... bryan ferry is, in the words of steven king, slicker than owl shit...
    that being said, i think it's a funny indication of british class consciousness that i once read an article in a UK newspaper about upperclass women wanting a working class "bit of rough' and bryan ferry was one of the examples... only in the UK can being involved with the smoothest, most debonair, international jetsetting rich rock star be considered "slumming"...

i'll have to check that DVD out...

In the UK, if you ironed your shirt (specially on a Friday night) and used hair products (males or females) you were working class. Of course it was more cut n dry in the 70s and early 80s.... now all the OK-yahdies want to sport "aspirational" clothing as well, before they couldn't give a fuck - it was all tweed and elbow patches.

Brian Ferry was like a British Morris Day. Look at all those New Romantics, shiny hair, shiny shirts and shiny italian shoes. And most of them came from shitholes like Birmingham.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    my house had this on for pretty much the entire day and it was ok as background music. when audio slave started playing killing in the name i just about lost it. and mariah carey was a huge mood killer. but it was for a good cause so can't hate.

Brian Ferry was like a British Morris Day. Look at all those New Romantics, shiny hair, shiny shirts and shiny italian shoes. And most of them came from shitholes like Birmingham.

so true. i read a salon article a while ago that broke down Bryan Ferry's stage image and it's like, yeah on one hand he is like this Casonova type but a weird version who is sincerely infatuated by each woman. it kinda makes sense when you think about how Jerry Hall left him for Mick Jagger. he's a ladies man who gets his heart brokeded often (see 'Jealous Guy' video)

Anyway, I have tried to dig on Manifesto but I'm just not feeling the production on it. It's sounds too crispy for me

my ranking:

1) For Your Pleasure
    2) S/T
    3) Country Life
    4) Siren
    5) Avalon

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Just incase anyone wanted to check some of these out.

I've had a bit of trouble wwatching a couple of these, but most work.

http://www.sonician.com/live8/list.html

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Thanks for the link.

Why the fuck is Jay Z with those dweebs? I would rather see him with that "hip hop violin player" from his live-on-showtime gig than those clowns. What a waste of talent to have him sharing the stage with them, letting them rap and lay the beats. Ugh.

Also, confirmed - yet again - that Roger Waters is a totally cool down-to-earth guy, while David Gilmour is obviously a highly sophisticated android, programmed to feel and display no emotion, yet play the same exact guitar solos note-for-note forever...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Green Latern was bangin tho!!!!

Man if that's all it takes then I'm not knowing the right people.
    What was dude using, CDs? He never lifted a needle or did any kind of extra curricular anything.
    p.s.
    Linkin Park fucking suck.
    Why is Jay even fucking with those clowns? Isn't dude paid enough?
    Or is there such a thing...?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Thanks for the link.

Why the fuck is Jay Z with those dweebs? I would rather see him with that "hip hop violin player" from his live-on-showtime gig than those clowns. What a waste of talent to have him sharing the stage with them, letting them rap and lay the beats. Ugh.

Also, confirmed - yet again - that Roger Waters is a totally cool down-to-earth guy, while David Gilmour is obviously a highly sophisticated android, programmed to feel and display no emotion, yet play the same exact guitar solos note-for-note forever...

No worries. Anything for the soulstrut massive...

But yeah... The whole J riding with them is pure shite.

I didn't even like most[/b] of the performances.

Bjork was alright and IMO Sting still has it.

The Canadian one was ass...

What was up with DMC? His voice is shot... Why did they even put them on the bill?

I have alot of respect for the guy, but it just all seemed out of place.

Side note: Posts: 999 onto 1000.............