Sample ID question...

waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
This isn't for me, I'm asking this for a friend. I'm assuming Kanye's "Homecoming" is not a sample-based, or is it? I've already tried to but the FAQ didn't turn up anything, which already supports my assumption.

Comments

• i dunno man but that's horrible. shit, this is why i rarely fuck with the radio outside of sports

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    This isn't for me, I'm asking this for a friend.

I'm assuming Kanye's "Homecoming" is not a sample-based, or is it?

I've already tried to but the FAQ didn't turn up anything, which already supports my assumption.

Don't know the sample, but hopefully Kanye will finally retire and or kill himself some time soon...

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Ha ha ha. A girlfriend of mine really likes this song and was asking if it was sampled. She's usually not very Becky at all, I swear!

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts

Don't know the sample, but hopefully Kanye will finally retire and or kill himself some time soon...

• it sounds like a sample. like from some late 70's early 80's rock band or something. i mean I guess he could have added vinyl burn to it. But the way it sounds it definately sounds sampled. I wonder where its from too because I have heard it before or something that sounds like it.

• seriously tommy, that track hurts.

i'm officially old this year though - i hit 30 and the month afterwards my eldest daughter goes to secondary school... i'm finding myself developing a nervous tick associated with chipmunk vocal-based tracks i'm subjected to via mobile phone speaker too.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts

hahaha...hell yeah,can't stand his whole persona...and find his whole style over rated but I guess this isn't news to anybody else.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    It sounds like Kane's getting his sampling inspiration from the waiting room of his dentist.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I'm not defending this song in particular, but people hoping Kanye would retire or kill himself? Whatevs. He makes better albums than most rappers these days ( to commence now) and he has made some great beats in his career. Besides, I don't need anyone to retire or kill themselves. You don't have to listen to him.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The album doesnt have any sample credits for this song, whereas the other songs do.
    But that doesnt mean much. Its sounds live to me.

• LuckLoopLuckLoop 103 Posts
    sounds to me like he sampled some hawaiian stuff. you know those records, loungey type stuff with beaches and palmtrees and women with flowers on the cover and terrible soft lounge type elevator music.

shit is corny as hell

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i say its a sample.

ya'll are buggin too, radio shit maybe but its the realist radio shit out. kanye's dope, figure it out.

• ya'll are buggin too, radio shit maybe but its the realist radio shit out. kanye's dope, figure it out.

it's impossible to reply to this without prompting some massive debate, at the end of which nobody changes their perspective.

that said...

i just can't understand 90% of what passes for hip-hop these days. all the daytime radio stuff seems to be: piss weak beats adorned by weaker still flows. tragic. i wouldn't touch any of that shit with the same hands that bought stunts, blunts & hip-hop; funky technicians; stress; word... life; etc. (i could name hundreds of albums there obviously but you get the picture) if i put some of that in the stacks with the rest, the rest would leave... or plot against me behind my back. cause of death: decapitated by a naughty by nature 12" from the 00s...

ya'll are buggin too, radio shit maybe but its the realist radio shit out. kanye's dope, figure it out.

it's impossible to reply to this without prompting some massive debate, at the end of which nobody changes their perspective.

that said...

i just can't understand 90% of what passes for hip-hop these days. all the daytime radio stuff seems to be: piss weak beats adorned by weaker still flows. tragic. i wouldn't touch any of that shit with the same hands that bought stunts, blunts & hip-hop; funky technicians; stress; word... life; etc. (i could name hundreds of albums there obviously but you get the picture) if i put some of that in the stacks with the rest, the rest would leave... or plot against me behind my back. cause of death: decapitated by a naughty by nature 12" from the 00s...

and yet strangley, i agree with you (though i've never understood the appeal of naughty by nature). i just appreciate that kanye obviously samples and isn't afraid to pay the cost for those samples. i appreciate that even though he's a bit of a dumbshit, he is a personality and he's a genius at marketing himself. he's got some corny lines but still his raps are far more interesting than the typical radio rap - 50 included. and i think he makes good music. if i hear another 74 bpm beat with super fast 808 snare rolls or tiny clap sounds and waaaaay too many hi-hats and a synth with some mush mouth non hip hop rapper saying some verse with no flavor at all and boring uninteresting rhymes and then repeating a 4 word chorus for 60% of the song i'm gonna beat myself in the testicles until my eyes pop out and my ears bleed!

• if i hear another 74 bpm beat with super fast 808 snare rolls or tiny clap sounds and waaaaay too many hi-hats and a synth with some mush mouth non hip hop rapper saying some verse with no flavor at all and boring uninteresting rhymes and then repeating a 4 word chorus for 60% of the song i'm gonna beat myself in the testicles until my eyes pop out and my ears bleed!

link?

= shit music, imo. it's not that he's incapable of doing better - the beat he gave ludacris for "stand up" was ill, for example - it's more like he's on some "why bother? people pay me regardless of whether it's dope or not"

the fact that he (and he's far from the worst example) "defiles" hip-hop with the sampling of 80s hits bullshit AND YET... he gets lauded for his business smarts etc.

this kind of thing makes me feel the oldest of all, i think. hip-hop has come a long way from where it was when didn't apply to me... i guess that's why i barely listen to it nowadays

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Sounds like some Billy Joel live schitt to me.

if i hear another 74 bpm beat with super fast 808 snare rolls or tiny clap sounds and waaaaay too many hi-hats and a synth with some mush mouth non hip hop rapper saying some verse with no flavor at all and boring uninteresting rhymes and then repeating a 4 word chorus for 60% of the song i'm gonna beat myself in the testicles until my eyes pop out and my ears bleed!

link?

= shit music, imo. it's not that he's incapable of doing better - the beat he gave ludacris for "stand up" was ill, for example - it's more like he's on some "why bother? people pay me regardless of whether it's dope or not"

the fact that he (and he's far from the worst example) "defiles" hip-hop with the sampling of 80s hits bullshit AND YET... he gets lauded for his business smarts etc.

this kind of thing makes me feel the oldest of all, i think. hip-hop has come a long way from where it was when didn't apply to me... i guess that's why i barely listen to it nowadays

i feel your pain. i'll be 38 in 3 months and a b-boy for 25 years.

• it's hitting me hard this year man. i've put up most of my hip-hop collection for sale and bought instruments...

older friends told me this would happen

i threatened beatdowns with my nameplate belt buckle

they were right

plus i've gotten to the point where i won't sample anything outside of single hits and i only buy records i actually want to listen to... word - wtf?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    It's not a sample. He co-wrote it with Chris Martin from Coldplay, who did all the music.

• could they not find an engineer who could make the sounds less shit or...?

i've put up most of my hip-hop collection for sale

indeed! i'm still a long way from selling things i have doubles of let alone ALL my hip hop! those ebay prices are getting mighty tempting though.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    could they not find an engineer who could make the sounds less shit or...?

Two words. Beach Chair.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    what's this all about? soulstrut ain't have da love for kanye anymore?

• word - i should contextualise that statement:

i needed to raise money for bills/debts after a prolonged period of time off from work. i didn't wake up and go "i think i'll sell all my hip-hop and buy instruments instead" it was more a case of - how can i raise this money.

it's more of a thing because in the past i'd never have thought of this as a possibility whereas now i need the money and if it's records or MPC etc. then the records are leaving... but not all of them!

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    It's not a sample. He co-wrote it with Chris Martin from Coldplay, who did all the music.

Thank you. Now let the continue!

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

Thank you. Now let the continue!

Great track. There haven't been many albums released since Graduation I've liked as much. Great stuff. It would have surprised me if they'd let a sample that big slide - since they even cleared the "Yeah!!" from Long Red in Barry Bonds.

Also, if the worst thing radio played was Kanye, I'd be a happy man. And I'd listen to the radio a lot more.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    sounds to me like he sampled some hawaiian stuff. you know those records, loungey type stuff with beaches and palmtrees and women with flowers on the cover and terrible soft lounge type elevator music.

That ain't Hawaiian, now go away.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

The audience, though, is a sample.

• UnconSciUnconSci 824 Posts
    I really cant stand the guy. This song is terrible to me as well. I hear ya though... I mean his shit does stand above the rest on the radio, but thats not really saying much.

• The audience, though, is listening[/b]