Further edumakation

young_creamyoung_cream 540 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
So, today I went to visit Columbia college open house in downtown Chicago and wasn't impressed. Took a look at their Audio Arts + Acoustics program and thought the whole thing was . I already knew it had a reputation for being a school full of wanna be artsy types but today just confirmed my "No way would I go there" attitude. Just wondering if anyone could drop some knowledge on going to college for anything related to music production and maybe name drop a few schools in the Chicago-area. Respect

Comments

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    I have nothing to add to this thread except that your name is a major .

That is all.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Just wondering if anyone could drop some knowledge on going to college for anything related to music production.

u sound white

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

u sound white priveleged.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. I'm not sure which school it's at--I want to say Northwestern--but I know that Alvin Lucier teaches somewhere in chicago.I would suggest looking at the Clive Davis department of recorded music at NYU.

However, losing the attitude, and the schpiel about "Everyone there is a snobby this or that," will get you further than what anyone on the netrawebs will tell you.

Not that there is anything wrong with that. I'm not sure which school it's at--I want to say Northwestern--but I know that Alvin Lucier teaches somewhere in chicago.I would suggest looking at the Clive Davis department of recorded music at NYU.

However, losing the attitude, and the schpiel about "Everyone there is a snobby this or that," will get you further than what anyone on the netrawebs will tell you.

name me a genre that started in college?

• u sound white priveleged.

What a stupid argument. No offense.

• u sound white priveleged.

Thanks, I will look into that. I'm not trying to just blindly take advice from the internet () but I figure it's best to get as much information regarding people's experiences as I can. If it was being paid for my plan was to take a few classes but if not then I was going to not attend anywhere.

Nah your right - i was reading drunk.

How much of a difference is interning at a studio vs. going to school for Audio Arts?

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts

Putting all Def Jams aside, in that field as well as design when it comes to you footing the bill for the education, in the workplace you start on the same page as those with none, and many times their success is hard to swallow.
    At the same time, no matter the heights of their success the ones without the degree still have that inferiority that if it weren't for their first foot in the door, or who they knew, etc. they'd have nothing.
    The folks who paid up and worked for the degrees usually feel insecure with the debt when in their works playing field the fine print they worked for doesn't give them any advantage over someone equally skilled without it.

If you're not paying for it DO IT! DO SOMETHING, society is strolling right by, this is coming from a guy who never figured it out yet how to juggle those behemoth number$ and missed out. But if its the other way around theres probably some things to meditate about to figure out where your life fits in.

I know a few design people who loathe their education, and I know plenty engineering dudes who aren't making a living with it after paying a lifetimes worth. Testing the waters first(in these fields specifically) is a very good argument.