Good luck strutters...(academic r)

hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
It's that time here in the USA. Best of luck to all of you strutters looking to pursue higher higher education.

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    In the context of a classification task (learning to map stimuli in a multidimensional space into a set of discrete categories), explain what it means for a set of training data to be linearly separable. Explain why a single-layer perceptron (such as the adaptive network model proposed by Gluck and Bower, 1988) cannot perfectly categorize data that is not linearly separable. If single-layer perceptrons are generalized to have multiple layers and nonlinear activation functions then, in principle, such "neural networks" are capable of learning to correctly classify any data-set. Explain, in general terms (i.e. no need to use equations!), the basic structure of error-driven learning and the steps involved in backpropagation training. How much insight do you think the internal representations formed by neural networks can give us into human representation?

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    In the context of a classification task (learning to map stimuli in a multidimensional space into a set of discrete categories), explain what it means for a set of training data to be linearly separable. Explain why a single-layer perceptron (such as the adaptive network model proposed by Gluck and Bower, 1988) cannot perfectly categorize data that is not linearly separable. If single-layer perceptrons are generalized to have multiple layers and nonlinear activation functions then, in principle, such "neural networks" are capable of learning to correctly classify any data-set. Explain, in general terms (i.e. no need to use equations!), the basic structure of error-driven learning and the steps involved in backpropagation training. How much insight do you think the internal representations formed by neural networks can give us into human representation?

I hear you. I've been trying figure out cluster analysis by myself for the past few months. I am not a statistician. This is my 6th semester in a program that is supposed to take 4. Why must I cry every day?