SMOKEY ROBINSON APPRECIATION THREAD

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
I started to post in the "fave songs on repeat" thread, since I've been spinning "My Girl Has Gone" like crazy, but I said, fuck it, the famed singing gumbo maker deserves his own thread:Here it is, Chicago finally has some decent weather, and although several of his songs are about heartbreak, Smokey usually sounds really good this time of the year. Even the songs where his woman leaves him have a weird sort of springtime positivity.MY TOP TEN SMOKEY FAVES (off tha head):[/b]"My Girl Has Gone" (obviously)"Doggone Right""What's So Good About Goodbye""Cruisin'""We've Come Too Far To End It Now""I Don't Blame You At All""Swept For You Baby""The Love I Saw In You Was Just A Mirage""She's Only A Baby Herself""Satisfaction"THREE LOST CLASSICS:[/b]- Pure Smokey (his second solo album, where he starts tackling heavy topics...not quite as groudbreaking as Marvin or Stevie, but still startling nonetheless)- Smokey's Family Robinson (where he flirts with the funk)- 1957-1972 (Smokey & the Miracles' final concert together...rather touching)AND BY THE WAY:[/b]Anybody ever tasted Smokey's gumbo? Any good?

Comments

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    this is by far my mom's favorite singer ever.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

I ride for Smokey any day of the week
    Here's a youtube of Crusin' that switches between the acapella/instrumental/regular song.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    kind of another OBVIOUS appreciation post, but fuck it.

I RIDE FOR SMOKEY.

now the real ? remains: WHO DOESN'T??

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    He looks like the Hawaiian Punch man now.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

- Pure Smokey (his second solo album, where he starts tackling heavy topics...not quite as groudbreaking as Marvin or Stevie, but still startling nonetheless)

This album is great:

"Virgin Man"

"Tattoo"

The song about how is ex-wife is keeping him from his kids...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    kind of another OBVIOUS appreciation post, but fuck it.

Actually you're right.

But I was vibing off "My Girl Has Gone" so hard that I thought I'd go for broke. Besides, as far as the Strut is concerned, I've seen him mentioned in passing whenever we had a Motown thread, but nobody ever FOCUSED on him. Like we always do with non-Motowner Curtis Mayfield. So...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    A great song writing and one of the masterminds behind Motown records. Love the guy and his music.

How about greatest songs written by Smokey for other groups?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- Pure Smokey (his second solo album, where he starts tackling heavy topics...not quite as groudbreaking as Marvin or Stevie, but still startling nonetheless)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This album is great:

"Virgin Man"

"Tattoo"

The song about how is ex-wife is keeping him from his kids...

The one where a widowed mother starts dating again...

The one where the narrator's teenage daughter gets knocked up ("She's Only A Baby Herself")...

Great album. I don't know whether this was supposed to be his What's Going On or what; it surely wasn't promoted like that, so it's easy to think that this is Just Another Smokey Album when it turns up. But, it's interesting to see him raise the bar beyond mere love songs...

did smokey write "you really got a hold of me"?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I've wanted to make this thread for years now. I don't know why I never did.

His solo work and albums with the Miracles are classic, but the amount of producing, arranging and songwriting he did is nothing short of incredible.
    Truly one of the greats. And while people are saying this is obvious, he really doesn't get the props he deserves.

This is one of my favorite records he produced. "Oh Be My Love" is the shit.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

His solo work and albums with the Miracles are classic, but the amount of producing, arranging and songwriting he did is nothing short of incredible.
    Truly one of the greats. And while people are saying this is obvious, he really doesn't get the props he deserves.

Yea, he basically helped to build Motown and reinforce its foothold...and without Motown, even SoulStrut may not exist!

After the Miracles and himself, I think his Temptations songs are my favourites.

And I don't think I will ever get tired of Tracks of My Tears or I Second That Emotion.

This is one of my favorite records he produced.

Yes.

WHATS oN HIS SPOON doesnt match whats in his bowl.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I ride.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    One of the great writers of all moddern music.

dude pretty much built Motown,which fueled Black Music which informed so many other genre's of music.

And still is the prettiest Brother in the game.

• An incredible songwriter and his voice is superhuman.

One of my favorites.

I ride.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Yes.

WHATS oN HIS SPOON doesnt match whats in his bowl.

I think all that rice is in the bowl, just at the bottom. Beneath whatever that other stuff is.

• One of the GOAT!!! I love Smokey.

My current spin is "Swept For You Baby"...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    "Thats the Way I feel" and "Determination" are my jams

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I mentioned Smokey a while back in another thread. He is rarely mentioned here, which is a shame, but it sounds like those days are over.

In the other thread I mentioned That's What Love Is Made Of, which is kind of folky, and also Being With You lp, which is from the early 80s.

I like most everything he wrote, sang or produced, though a lot of Motown stuff has a way of falling into oldiesnostaligacomfyoldshoe zone.

The back of one of his lps mentions that he is Bob Dylan's favorite songwriter. The story I believe is that this was made up by a copywriter, but is oft quoted and passed around as gospel. I don't think anyone has every found a direct quote from Dylan confirming this.

I'll take Smokey over Dylan any day any way.