Why I'm not out at SXSW

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
'Cause I'm illin'. Halfway wanted to go check out Percee P at Backspin Records this afternoon...but yesterday was a nightmare for me. Never have I alternated between being freezing cold to sweating actual puddles on the bedsheet so many times in one night. Anyway, I skipped out of work early yesterday and barely made it through 7 hours of it today. Bun B is tonight, with each of Gerald G, Chalie Boy, and Public Offenders opening for him (among many others). Wish I could make that one, but my head still hurts pretty badly. Also, I'm hoping there is not a brawl there tonight. The other night after a show at Ruta Maya, it went down. And dudes have been swearing retribution up and down since then. Both parties are sure to be in the house together tonight at the Bun B show and it very well could get ugly. Incidentally, one of the ringleaders had his jaw broken by Trae a few years back...at the other ringleader's father's club. Tomorrow though, I'm playing straight local, flip-flop steez and only going to the free Grupo Fantasma/Del/Spoon show at Audotorium Shores. Yep, that's right...old man Harvey didn't even bother trying to get a wristband this year...for SXSW is officially played. And the reason why I say that it was made public last year that Louis Black, one of the founders of SXSW and the dude behind the Austin Chronicle, sic'ed the fire marshall on at least 7 un-SXSW-sanctioned day parties which were duly shut down. Still great that there are a ton of out-of-town bands here this week, but at its very core SXSW has jumped the shark and then some. And that's fine, since we no longer have any more room for anyone else to move here. That's right, please move along, there is nothing to see here. Although...if anyone was looking west at 7:30PM this evening, there was an unmarked plane flying pretty low in the sky leaving quite a massive chemtrail. Someone had just told me today how they've noticed the chemtrails being spread late in the day the past couple of weeks instead of during broad daylight. So for any strutters in town this week, please be my guest and look up in the sky at 7:30PM tomorrow and the next day and the next and then tell us what you see.Oh yeah, and while I can no longer cosign SXSW, I do still cosign Matt Sonzala's enduring efforts to make something outta nothing.

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    This schitt is going around. Some next level new millenial flu bug.

I was out three days and it cost me good money. Laid up. Haven't felt that bad in years.

My mans from NC just came through and was like "I feel it coming on... gotta pop some airborne!"

Get healthy... mad C and Zinc... rest... tea... no mushrooms! lol.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    This schitt is going around. Some next level new millenial flu bug.

I was out three days and it cost me good money. Laid up. Haven't felt that bad in years.

My mans from NC just came through and was like "I feel it coming on... gotta pop some airborne!"

Get healthy... mad C and Zinc... rest... tea... no mushrooms! lol.

I got hit really badly about 6 weeks ago...was out for days. My wife and daughter also had it just as bad.

This time was a weird freak-out mixture of symptoms...started with stomach ache, then dizziness and exhaustion, then freezing cold, then burning up, throat eventually swole up, then headache. But I could actually feel worse tonight. Slept almost 20 hours straight yesterday, that helped...although I had some crazy dreams.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

This time was a weird freak-out mixture of symptoms...started with stomach ache, then dizziness and exhaustion, then freezing cold, then burning up, throat eventually swole up, then headache. ... I had some crazy dreams.

Nah, I hope you feel better. Everyone in the house had the flu about a week ago and it was nothing nice. I was laid up for 3 or 4 days.

• Sick dreams are almost too much to handle. Rest up and feel better dude.

Sick dreams are almost too much to handle. Rest up and feel better dude.

Made it to work again today. But last night's dreams were again bizarre. The first one I remember, I was just hanging out with an old friend and found myself suffering from a swollen throat to the point that I went into a bathroom trying to clear some of the mucous out of there and I was coughing this weird soapy foam out of my mouth. I woke up and sure enough my left tonsil was as grapefruit swollen as ever. I got up had some water then laid back down in the living room where I had set up a bed to keep the germs away from my wife in our bedroom.

So my next dream is me waking up on that living room floor, noticing that the back screen door was wide open, then noticing that someone had mysteriously cut our grass in the backyard, and then as I went to go tell my wife what had happened...I tripped over a little girl in our hallway who was wrapped up in a blanket. I picked her up and found that she was the daughter of our cleaning lady (we've never actually had a cleaning lady). The assumption was that she was left for good and all in all, we were kinda happy to accept her into our family...just like that. Of course I woke up shortly after that and the door was closed, the grass had yet to be cut, and there was no mystery girl in our hallway.

What a rollercoaster ride the past couple of days have been.

• Sounds like a case of man flu....

Too true...yesterday my wife referred to me as "the most annoying sick person in the world".

A layman's review of last night's Bun B show...

Maan that shit at Fuze was off the chain last night. That boy Gerald G stole the show before Bun came out, that damn freestyle musta been 10 minutes at least. Chalie Boy wrecked it too. Public Offenders did a good show too. The mic problems prolly hurt them the most tho cuz they got so many members and kept having to pass the mics so much. Shit was tripped out when Bushwick came outta nowhere with those drunk ass freestyles, that was real cool to get to see. And of course Bun shut that shit down did shit off pretty much every album and did alot of Pimps verses too. The crowd was on fire with Bun. Great start to sxsw. Barely got any sleep Im at work about to pass out. But Ima be right back out there tonite.

And while there were apparently no brawls (thank goodness), Matt told me there might have been a few lil scuffles at the side door...to the point that the city manager is now on Matt's ass to keep things cool and incident-free in the Fuze line the next few nights.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    man...i haven't heard that name Matt in a long time. haven't spoken with dude in about 3 years. glad to hear he's still helpin out with the scene.

i'd like to catch some audio of that freestyle sesh when it comes available.

also, that flu is a beeeeeeych this year! i get my [mind control] flu shot every year and haven't been ill with the flu in years, but 2 weekends ago i was done! that junk had me feelin no bueno. mad cold sweat while sleeping. i hate that!

This is Staci Russell. She performs with Gerald G and together they are awesome. She's also recorded with Salih and by this point, folks even outside of Austin should start knowing about her...