Futura Records? Latin-R

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Al Santiago - after selling Alegre to Roulette - founded a label, Futura which, apparently, bankrolled the first Willie Colon album (that ended up on Fania) and also recorded, I think, the first, though unreleased version of Joe Bataan's "Gypsy Woman" (diff. from his Fania version). Did Futura ever put anything out? I can't find a ton of the imprint besides some stuff mentioned by Bobby Marin in an interview.

Comments

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I've never heard of Futura. I thought after Alegre his label was Ma??ana records. I had never heard of Al bankrolling "El Malo" but I guess its not so far fetched.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yeah, apparently Futura put out the first Willie Colon single plus a Kako 7"

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I got this on Futuro (i think) ...are you sure it's Futura?

Descarga Junior =

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I had a 12" on the Futura label. I think it was boogie.

yeah, def futurA. I guess I'll keep rooting around.

Is this the same version of "Cool Jerk" that's on the Kako LP?

• don't have the lp in front of me.. i'm pretty sure it's the same version.. check it out -

Listen

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Is this the same version of "Cool Jerk" that's on the Kako LP?
    Both of those tracks are on his Live It Up LP on Musicor that's produced by Al Santiago.

Yeah, sounds like the same version. Looks like Futura mostly served to develop some initial talent and records that Santiago was then able to port over to places like Fania and Musicor.

Question: What was the deal with Uptite? Was that a Fania subsidiary that specialized in 7" single releases only? I noticed that beginning around 1967, several Fania artists - including Averne and Bataan - released Fania LP songs on Uptite label 7"s. Don't know if I've ever seen an Uptite LP though.