Do you still have a breaks section in your crates?

Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Breaks:a) I've got a whole section of breaks. I love breaks. Even if it's a turd, I'll keep it. Historian related.b) I sold off all the turds, but kept the albums that were actually good listens.c) I never listened past the break and never cared, so I sold all them shits.d) never bought an album for a "break"e) what's a break?

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    d) never bought an album for a "break"

But I don't "produce beats, yo!"

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Yes.

Do I actually do anything with them besides them sitting there?

No.

Should I unload them off?

Yes.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

But I don't "produce beats, yo!"

and further, someone needs to define 'break' in this context.
    I have only space for songs.....

And I heartily endorse etc etc this record related thread

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Breaks:

a) I've got a whole section of breaks. I love breaks. Even if it's a turd, I'll keep it.

This is pretty much me, though I assume that the turd in this case is the song (i.e. the "shitty song with a good break" situation) and not the break itself.

• dstill808dstill808 704 Posts
    Yes I do. Sort of in the a) column. Use them much more for DJing than production. I'm nowhere near a break historian, but still love a song that has a funky bit, especially if it's from an unpredictable source.

• d) but if we were talking about wierd records with no listening value (i.e. spoken word, for example) i'm definitely on a). i can't get rid of them shits

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    I have a little section in my expedit where all my record with drum breaks live. I do produce a little, so I like to collect "drums" when I can. I've recorded all of the breaks into my computer, so I don't really need them. I'm kinda on some historian shit with them. Or if my kid grows up and wants to get into making beats I'll give him/her my Timmy dig-a-lot turds and say "use these."

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    i'm so proud of myself. I've gotten rid of nearly all break laden turds but I just can't seem to get rid of Melody House "Rhythm & Rhyme" ...though "Tempo for Tots" & "Carpet Square" are loooong gone.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Except this one time in my younger days when I succumbed to peer pressure from the one Terry_Clubbup and bought a Black Oak Arkansas record because it had a beat, yo.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    a) I've got a whole section of breaks. I love breaks. Even if it's a turd, I'll keep it. Historian related.

ehhhhhhhhhh, semi. if I like the break, i'll keep it no matter what cheezo record it is...but i don't hold on to everything on the historian tip.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Breaks:

b) I sold off all the turds, but kept the albums that were actually good listens. everything (moving back in with mom and dad related).

But, if I hadn't had to sell them I would have been A.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    a) I've got a whole section of breaks. I love breaks. Sometimes if it's a turd I MIGHT get rid of it.[/b] Historian related.

i'm so proud of myself. I've gotten rid of nearly all break laden turds but I just can't seem to get rid of Melody House "Rhythm & Rhyme" ...though "Tempo for Tots" & "Carpet Square" are loooong gone.

damn, i would have taken carpet square off your back....

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Don't have a section as they just get filed into jazz, soul, rock, etc. But sure, I still buy records for breaks/samples. Salty contrarians or not, I can't see anything wrong with it.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I like carpet square. i got it for $1, so it's easy to like it. It's got some funky cuts and some nice hi hats, yo!

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I got out when the getting was good. .WAV and wave goodbye.

I like carpet square. i got it for $1, so it's easy to like it. It's got some funky cuts and some nice hi hats, yo!

yeah, most of the melody house stuff i find is but from what little ive heard of carpet square i'd definitely keep it around...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Don't have a section as they just get filed into jazz, soul, rock, etc. But sure, I still buy records for breaks/samples. Salty contrarians or not, I can't see anything wrong with it.

Nothing wrong with it if you have some use for that sort of thing. I just buy records to listen to, so it doesn't make much sense to colect terds for a 20-second snippet.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

Ha. Swing to Fitness is long gone too.

Is Carpet Square not all over Iowa like it is TX? I'll keep an eye out for one if you need it.

Ha. Swing to Fitness is long gone too.

Is Carpet Square not all over Iowa like it is TX? I'll keep an eye out for one if you need it.

hah, nah not really. i see melody house records a lot but its mostly shitty 80's releases. i do have swing to fitness, that record IS a turd but the drums are nice.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    Yea, I have a whole shelf of this stuff. It's fun, why not. Some of them I use for "beat making" and some are just fun to cut up. Beat juggling is good DJ practice no matter what. More than anything it falls under "oddity collecting". A cool break on an otherwise usless LP is soemthing to treasure. Plenty of people collect much stranger things.