REP YOUR MOST LIKED & HATED WIRE CHARACTERS

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
LOVED:1).Omar: Bobba Fett with a wave-cap2).Lester Freamon: A Cat-Daddy who did amazing police work. Too good to be a cop in a bad police organization.3).Bunk: Not only did he drop some great lines but he also had a couple of amazing scenes (Him sitting down with Omar in Season Four). Plus, he had jokes.4).Sergaent Jay Landsman: Everytime the man spoke it was either hilarious or on-point. I felt like everything he said was worthwhile and added to the show.5).Bubs: The loveable loser of the show.6).Cutty: Knowing what he was trying to do for the community just made you like him.7).Dookie: See Omar8).Slim Charles: He dropped that line that was something to the effect "if you believe enough in a war, you'll do it" that line coupled with him shooting bitch-made Cheese made him a good character.9).Prop Joe: I kind of see him as a "bad" Bunk. Smooth and every time he was in a scene it was important. Plus everytime "we" where in his junk-shop there was some good music playing (OOOH ON THE ONE FONK).10).Stringer Bell: A strong and calm character that in the end wanted to change the direction of himself and Avon. His vision was one that unfortunately resulted in him dying. His scene of him fighting Avon (right before there "split) had him giving a great speach about the "game".11).Norm Wilson: Carcetti's right-hand man. Always ,or at least attempting,to stop Carcetti's bullshit. Either with some stone-cold truth or a joke12).D'Angelo Barksdale: I just liked the guy and him getting killed by his own family made me more sympathetic for him.13).Frank Sobotka: He wanted to do right for his family, his people, and his community. His intentions where always that and never of greed.HONORABLE MENTION:BODIE:BUNNY: See Bunk.LEASTCHEESE: Maybe I just don't like Method Man as an actor, but he just came off like a bitch and him giving up Butchie....NAGLKIMA GREGS: A straight-up snitch that essentially ruined the case against Marlo. I felt as an office she should of known better. SNOOP: I just found her acting annoying.Ziggy Sobotka: A straight fuck up. To say he was a simpleton would be giving him too much credit.KENARD: STRAIGHT BITCH MADE! A Frickin' runt plus he shot Omar.TEMPLETON: The Aaron Lacrate of The WireMIDDDLE:LEVY: I want to hate this character. He was such a damn snot, but again he know what he was doing. Everytime he in lawyer mode you knew it was on.HAWK: dumbass gave up the goods on the phone-tapGUS: I think if I saw more of him, I would definetley put him in the top.

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    "if you believe enough in a war, you'll do it"

"If it's a lie, you fight on that lie."

• "if you believe enough in a war, you'll do it"

"If it's a lie, you fight on that lie."

chanks.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    dam...mcnulty didnt even rate??

hi
    mcnulty...him and lester was quite a combo of loose cannons.
    omar...best television character ive ever seen
    mike...but only if he is the new omar
    sydnor and carver...hope for the dept
    slim charles,wee bey,chris-somehow the assassins were all on some transcendent wise man shit
    marlo..hate him, but he ended up showing what was really important to him

lo
    herc...fucked everything up every step of the way
    ms.daniels...if she only had half the integrity of her ex
    council nareese...grown & sexy,but another careerist keeping good shit from happening
    prezbo...got teaching game together, but still a chump for not getting dook real help
    carcetti...the biggest douche bag. i had hopes for him. its always easy to point fingers at the establishment and holler for change until your in it and ou get compromised in the same way. integrity grade? D-
    the whole co-op...why were they all shook for so long????
    mike...leaving dookie out there. could have given him hundred large and put him on a bus for miami

• dam...mcnulty didnt even rate??

Yeah, I'm not sure either. Perhaps because there where too many other great characters.

Co-sign on Nareese. oooooooh to the weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I feel you on the "wise-man" comment. I also felt Chris' acting got a whole lot better while McNulty somehow slid a bit. There was a few parts where his English accent came out.

Yeah, I'm not sure either. Perhaps because there where too many other great characters.

I feel you on the "wise-man" comment. I also felt Chris' acting got a whole lot better while McNulty somehow slid a bit. There was a few parts where his English accent came out.

he had those slip ups all 5 seasons.
    i felt his acting started bad and got slightly better.
    acting aside, i liked the character and appreciated the "im so true to the mission of the job, that im going to break all the rules of the job" AMEN!! him and lester (and sydnor too, i suppose)

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

he had those slip ups all 5 seasons.
    i felt his acting started bad and got slightly better.
    acting aside, i liked the character and appreciated the "im so true to the mission of the job, that im going to break all the rules of the job" AMEN!! him and lester (and sydnor too, i suppose)

I loved how Chris STILL wasn't believing that Mike was the rat:

Chris: "He did Snoop 'cause he knew we was on him."
    Marlo: "And he knew we were on him 'cause he the one that talked about the damn re-up."

Chris looked like he was rolling his eyes without actually rolling his eyes.

To me, at least.

• prezbo...got teaching game together, but still a chump for not getting dook real help

most definitely a tough spot to be in, but i thought he handled the situation well. he gave dook the option and if dook had done the right thing, prezbo would've continued to help. as if were (unfortunate as it may be), dook was only there to essentially rip prezbo off, and prezbo did what he had to. he gave dook the option, IMO.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    LOVED:
    1).Omar: Bobba Fett with a wave-cap
    2).Lester Freamon: A Cat-Daddy who did amazing police work. Too good to be a cop in a bad police organization.
    3).Bunk: Not only did he drop some great lines but he also had a couple of amazing scenes (Him sitting down with Omar in Season Four). Plus, he had jokes.
    4).Sergaent Jay Landsman: Everytime the man spoke it was either hilarious or on-point. I felt like everything he said was worthwhile and added to the show.
    5).Bubs: The loveable loser of the show.
    6).Cutty: Knowing what he was trying to do for the community just made you like him.
    7).Dookie: See Omar
    8).Slim Charles: He dropped that line that was something to the effect "if you believe enough in a war, you'll do it" that line coupled with him shooting bitch-made Cheese made him a good character.
    9).Prop Joe: I kind of see him as a "bad" Bunk. Smooth and every time he was in a scene it was important. Plus everytime "we" where in his junk-shop there was some good music playing (OOOH ON THE ONE FONK).
    10).Stringer Bell: A strong and calm character that in the end wanted to change the direction of himself and Avon. His vision was one that unfortunately resulted in him dying. His scene of him fighting Avon (right before there "split) had him giving a great speach about the "game".
    11).Norm Wilson: Carcetti's right-hand man. Always ,or at least attempting,to stop Carcetti's bullshit. Either with some stone-cold truth or a joke
    12).D'Angelo Barksdale: I just liked the guy and him getting killed by his own family made me more sympathetic for him.
    13).Frank Sobotka: He wanted to do right for his family, his people, and his community. His intentions where always that and never of greed.

HONORABLE MENTION:
    BODIE:
    BUNNY: See Bunk.

LEAST
    CHEESE: Maybe I just don't like Method Man as an actor, but he just came off like a bitch and him giving up Butchie....NAGL
    KIMA GREGS: A straight-up snitch that essentially ruined the case against Marlo. I felt as an office she should of known better.
    SNOOP: I just found her acting annoying.
    Ziggy Sobotka: A straight fuck up. To say he was a simpleton would be giving him too much credit.
    KENARD: STRAIGHT BITCH MADE! A Frickin' runt plus he shot Omar.
    TEMPLETON: The Aaron Lacrate of The Wire

MIDDDLE:
    LEVY: I want to hate this character. He was such a damn snot, but again he know what he was doing. Everytime he in lawyer mode you knew it was on.
    HAWK: dumbass gave up the goods on the phone-tap
    GUS: I think if I saw more of him, I would definetley put him in the top.

Kima a straight up snitch? Did you even watch the show? They ruined their own case from the jump, they were just too arrogant to see it. This was the kind of massive lie that most anyone on here would be railing against corrupt cops if it happened in their city. The show should have ended in indictments of Freemon and McNulty and Sydnor. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. As much as I loved the characters, the ending rang false. Heads roll in the real world for far less.

Kima did the right thing, Bunk should have done it sooner, and he knew it, for all their sakes.

Gus Haynes was the worst character in the history of The Wire. A waste of a good actor.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    people...

WEE-BEY

Easily one of my favorites. In fact, I'd suggest that all the main enforcers on the show have been uniformly "watchable"

Wee-Bey
    Slim Charles
    Mouzon (if you want to count him)
    Chris

Shit, I'll even give it up for Snoop despite finding her character to be kind of a gimmick in a weird, "Wire" way.

And I'd pretty much agree with most of the people on Young P's hate list except for Griggs. Kima was a solid character for most of the show and despite me still not believing she'd flip on Lester and Jimmy, I can't hate on her overall. Her upgrading into a murder police in S4 was a real pleasure to watch. "Soft eyes."

Co-sign on Cheese. Method Man just couldn't do much except sneer or scowl and try to overact every scene he was in. I don't think it's a coincidence the script had dude getting his head blown off in the middle of a monologue.

Another person to add to the wack list: Carcetti's campaign manager who had that brief fling with McNulty. EH from jump.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Another person to add to the wack list: Carcetti's campaign manager who had that brief fling with McNulty. EH from jump.

She is my most hated person.

The only other people that come to mind for dislike are Herc (for f*cking up so many lives with his BS) and Officer Walker.

I haven't seen S5 and I just swept past anything that seemed new to me to avoid too much spoilage, so there's a whole season of people and storylines I don't know.

FAVOURITES:
    Cutty
    Bunk
    Snoop
    Wee-Bey
    Bodie
    Bubbles
    Freamon
    Landsman
    Russell - nice tonic to all the madness, not just for McNulty either

I loved Wallace from S1 and am not ashamed to say shed a tear or four when they did what they did...

Omar is a great character, and I loved his girls in his crew, but I sometimes feel like there's just too much Omar - seemingly untouchable, out, gives new meaning to bad-ass and yet princpled to the core...he's borderline cartoonish he's almost over-written, you know? Almost but not quite. It's a thin line that isn't crossed primarly because it's The Wire.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Shit, I'll even give it up for Snoop despite finding her character to be kind of a gimmick[/b] in a weird, "Wire" way.

I don't think it's a coincidence the script had dude getting his head blown off in the middle of a monologue.

Too perfect. Everyone was like "just shut the fuck up already!" blam.

Sorry, but uh...

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I hated Clay Davis until I learned to love him.

Needless to say, I have love for each and every character, including the villains. I really despise Krawczyk, but it was fun to see him cowering and crying when Stringer is killed.

Omar is a great character, and I loved his girls in his crew, but I sometimes feel like there's just too much Omar - seemingly untouchable, out, gives new meaning to bad-ass and yet princpled to the core...he's borderline cartoonish he's almost over-written, you know? Almost but not quite. It's a thin line that isn't crossed primarly because it's The Wire.

i agree...him and mouzone were very comic book noire. but, fuck it...they made every scene with them in it worth watching.

• Another person to add to the wack list: Carcetti's campaign manager who had that brief fling with McNulty. EH from jump.

Sorry, but uh...

co-slay.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Favorite: Wee Bay

Hated: Valchek

• Kima a straight up snitch? Did you even watch the show? They ruined their own case from the jump, they were just too arrogant to see it. This was the kind of massive lie that most anyone on here would be railing against corrupt cops if it happened in their city. The show should have ended in indictments of Freemon and McNulty and Sydnor. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. As much as I loved the characters, the ending rang false. Heads roll in the real world for far less.

Kima did the right thing, Bunk should have done it sooner, and he knew it, for all their sakes.

Gus Haynes was the worst character in the history of The Wire. A waste of a good actor.

Yeah I did watch the show and that's why I was dissapointed with her snitching. She knows exactly that her department where being screwed by Carcetti's budget promise to the teachers, she knew how close and how important it was that they moved in on Marlow, and she knew if they simply could afford it might of been game-over for Marlow.

It's not like Freamon and McNulty where planting evidence or making up bullshit.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

It's not like Freamon and McNulty where planting evidence or making up bullshit.

Uh...

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Kima a straight up snitch? Did you even watch the show? They ruined their own case from the jump, they were just too arrogant to see it. This was the kind of massive lie that most anyone on here would be railing against corrupt cops if it happened in their city. The show should have ended in indictments of Freemon and McNulty and Sydnor. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. As much as I loved the characters, the ending rang false. Heads roll in the real world for far less.

Yeah I did watch the show and that's why I was dissapointed with her snitching. She knows exactly that her department where being screwed by Carcetti's budget promise to the teachers, she knew how close and how important it was that they moved in on Marlow, and she knew if they simply could afford it might of been game-over for Marlow.

uh, that's EXACTLY what they were doing. I am not so bitter about the way it panned out that I think Freemon and McNulty should have gone to jail, but I think that showing them just cast out of police work was a bit of a TV-cliche cop out. The intentions of someone's dirt don't matter one bit, the conviction of Marlo would have been tainted, and they were too wrapped up in the shit to see that they couldn't win, and shouldn't win.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

Did you even watch the show?

Please![/b] At least say you're going to be talking about S5 at the top of the post.

• So the whole case on Marlow and everything they got on him was complete bullshit and they made up all of THAT?

please...

*neckroll*

Fuck Marlo. He should of gone down. Plain and Simple.

• And I just saw the new RIck Ross video with T-Pain (DUDE WAS SPORTING A TOP HOT! Lookin' like the predator and mr.peanut had a baby!). And Snoop makes a cameo in it.