technology references in songs (am I old? related)

Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
I always think it's cheesy when someone references the internet in songs. I don't know why, but it bugs me. I guess I just need to warm up to it. I hate myspace references. Some other recent ones that bugged me were:Baby Bash saying "you can google, download the itunes"Mariah Carey saying "this flick better not end up on you..tube, you...tube"I guess those types of things are so much a part of our culture that it's fine for them to be referenced in songs, but I always think it's corny.oh shit, I gotta go. My ride is here.

Comments

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    I know, that Rhianna song where she's talking about "My umbrella ella a a." WTF!? Just get wet in the rain, screw all this technological porta-shelter nonsense.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    I always think it's cheesy when someone references the internet in songs. I don't know why, but it bugs me. I guess I just need to warm up to it. I hate myspace references. Some other recent ones that bugged me were:

Baby Bash saying "you can google, download the itunes"
    Mariah Carey saying "this flick better not end up on you..tube, you...tube"

I guess those types of things are so much a part of our culture that it's fine for them to be referenced in songs, but I always think it's corny.

oh shit, I gotta go. My ride is here.

im the opposite of old, but i definitely used to feel the same way. i think im starting to get used to it now though...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I'm still pissed about this one 24 years later:

• chaschas 45 Posts
    I always think it's cheesy when someone references the internet in songs. I don't know why, but it bugs me. I guess I just need to warm up to it. I hate myspace references. Some other recent ones that bugged me were:

I guess those types of things are so much a part of our culture that it's fine for them to be referenced in songs, but I always think it's corny.

oh shit, I gotta go. My ride is here.

The worst offender has got to be that "Google Me" song.

So if you looking for me go and pull it up
    Cause I'm a celebrity
    Go head & google me.

(You ain't nobody) Google me baby!
    (Ya betta ask somebody) You betta google me baby!
    (You ain't nobody) Google me baby!
    (Ya betta ask somebody) You betta google me baby!
    Google me baby

What's up Tommy!

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    I live for references to technology in music. A lot the internet-related punchlines I've heard are wack, but I chalk that up to the rappers that delivered them being wack, not the general idea of referencing technology being wack.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    And don't sing sweetly to me about dumbass TV antennas in the back of your Cadillac. Remember some of us don't have cars.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    How many songs are out there with pager references?

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

here's a couple:

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    im the opposite of old, but i definitely used to feel the same way. i think im starting to get used to it now though...

You may not be old, but you are an old soul... that's a compliment not a diss

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

This reminds of the part in "Captain Save-A-Hoe" where he starts talking about going to Cellular One...

• How many songs are out there with pager references?

best reference i've heard was by vandalyzm

"taxin like quicken"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "I got a COLOR TV - so I can see - The Knicks play Basketball" - GMCaz/Big Bank Hank

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    And don't sing sweetly to me about dumbass TV antennas in the back of your Cadillac. Remember some of us don't have cars.

That was the point of the song in the first place...[/b] (unless your sarcasm train left me at the station)

"you may not have a car at all/but remember, brothers & sisters, you can still stand tall"

I live for references to technology in music. A lot the internet-related punchlines I've heard are wack, but I chalk that up to the rappers that delivered them being wack, not the general idea of referencing technology being wack.

John Lee Hooker, Jr. goes out of his way to include e-mail/etc. references in his songs, just so people know that he's singing and writing blues songs in the 2000's, rather than referencing his father's generation. Too bad his songs are all wack...

• fauxteurfauxteur 342 Posts
    it is corny and i question their trendsetting
    those two sound like George Bush / Ted Stevens

sometimes the internet doesn't translate very well though
    bragging for 4 minutes can be a cool clipse track, but the same stuff sounds funny on a blog

So what do y'all think of the reference to 8-track tapes in War's "Summer?"

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I can't stand it when musicians refer to the radio or a jukebox. It shatters the illusion of authenticity when I realize they are aware that I'm listening to them.

I can't stand it when musicians refer to the radio or a jukebox. It shatters the illusion of authenticity when I realize they are aware that I'm listening to them.

It's just the opposite for me. I love when musicians and actors break down the fourth wall, like that one Taj Mahal song ("Bacon Fat," I think it is), where he offhandedly sez something like "here we are on the other end of this phonograph needle having fun for y'all." Of course, it doesn't make a lick of sense on the CD edition - what would he have said then, "here we are on the other end of this laser beam"???

Of course, I could have done without that Sam Butera album where he mentions that his voice is coming from a "Dot long-playing record"...

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    "yo Polo man, let's call Marley up on this carphone"

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    The fact that it's called Skypager dates ithe song like a Zack Morris phone.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    supernintendo, sega genesis