The Mechanic.

Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
I found this on VHS at the Salvation Army when I played hookey yesterday. Seen it? I thought it was great. I mean, Charles Bronson is always bad ass but even Jan Michael Vincent plays the spoiled, heartless little punk to perfection. The scene where he lets his girl slit her wrists while he just sits there not giving a fuck is pretty damn cold. That'll teach her to be a drama queen.The motorbike chase was dope too, not to mention the opening sequence (no dialogue for 16 minutes!). Bronson is pretty damn slick with his murder setups, switching out dude's teabags and all. "I ain't some wild Cleveland shooter. I don't cowboy." So focused.I'm not nearly as cinema-intelligent as most of you hoLmeses are (I hope I don't sound as bad as this dude), but I dug this movie and would recommend it to anybody who's into assassin-related thrillers.

Comments

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    I agree, a great movie, but the wrist-slitting scene never seemed to fit for some reason. If you're gonna be an assassin, why are you hanging out with such weak and useless people?

*shrugs*

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

Charles Bronson ? I always thought he had a younger brother....

him:

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    I agree, good movie. I first saw during my Bronson obsession about 10 years ago (if you like "The Mechanic," you'd also like "Mr. Majestyk," Herm). Love that little stress ball that Bronson plays with. Also really like the surprise ending.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I agree, good movie. I first saw during my Bronson obsession about 10 years ago (if you like "The Mechanic," you'd also like "Mr. Majestyk," Herm). Love that little stress ball that Bronson plays with. Also really like the surprise ending.

The Mechanic is great thru and thru. Best Bronson ever. Mr Majestyk is pretty dull til the end.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    The first hit at the beginning was brilliantly elaborate. Violent City (aka The Family) was good, too.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I thought this was gonna be a post about how herm went to go get his an oil change and was like

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    The Mechanic is the film where he breaks the shot glass with his pinky and ring finger, right? Unbelievable.

I think it was in The Evil That Men Do where he killed a man simply by grabbing his testicles, bringing him to the ground and giving him the testicle death squeeze.

My favorite Bronson movie is this one (though I know it as "The Family):

The scene where he lets a tarantula crawl over his leg while he's in the holding tank.
    The best driving scene ever (yeah ... he went up those stairs!)
    Interrupting Telly Savalas mid sentence with a bullet.
    The surreal soundtrack.
    It has it all.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

Last sentence of his review:
    "The car explodes, and Bronson is vindicated."