Blast from the past: Betty Davis, Little Beaver

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
I found a few copies of "Hep Magazine" (a 1970s Black tabloid out of Ft. Worth, TX) yesterday and picked up this 1976 issue because it had a cover story on Betty Davis. Scanned in a few pages related to its music-content, including the story on Betty (which isn't particularly extensive, surprisingly), plus one on Donna Summer's "new" hit "Love To Love You Baby" as well as a two page piece on Little Beaver, circa "Party Down." There's also a piece on Florence Ballard I'll probably go back to scan as well. peep

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    Thanks. Liked reading about Lil Beav.. can't believe it didn't mention his dependence on hard drugs and hookers like Clarence Reid did in the Waxpo Blowfly article.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Thanks. Liked reading about Lil Beav.. can't believe it didn't mention his dependence on hard drugs and hookers like Clarence Reid did in the Waxpo Blowfly article.

I know this may sound contradictory for a magazine that also includes "features" such as "I was raped by my neighbor!" but the stories are fairly fluffy and aren't meant to be exposes that would get into any real salacious details (perhaps as a way to avoid libel/slander claims).

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    but the stories are fairly fluffy and aren't meant to be exposes that would get into any real salacious

yah I was kidding. "his hobbies include basketball, flying kites, freebasing cocaine and of course, music."

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I love finding old rock and soul magazines from back in the day. Betty Davis actually got quite a bit of coverage when she was around, but this is the first time I've ever seen her rate a WHOLE COVER. Not bad for someone who was essentially a cult artist.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    more scans

This includes the story on the death of Florence Ballard, the feature on why Blacks are more psychic than Whites and a variety of ads, including for wigs, gun replicas and a whole set of sex aids including "Leg Spreaders" and 'Knockout Pills.' ("you'll be amazed at what these powerful pills can do to improve your sex life!")

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I would think depending on Hookers would leave you dissapointed, I doubt they are very reliable on the whole.