Jerk (genre related)

dreskieboogiedreskieboogie 951 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
I just asked this over on VGPlus but the thread kinda died.Anyways, I just wondered where and how the french and francophone countries in e.g. West Africa started using the term jerk for rhythm and blues. A friendly person answered that it came from the dance craze of the same name but does anybody know what year the jerk started out and who did the first jerk record? And what are the main jerk tunes if theres more than one?The people wanna know.THANKS!Peace,Dress

Comments

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    Funny I was playing the record below about an hour ago. Sorry I don't have an answer though.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    dunno if it was the first, but the main jerk record seems to be "the jerk" by the larks, from late '64. several others followed, including the capitols'"cool jerk," jackie ross'"jerk & twine," dobie gray's "monkey jerk," mighty hannibal's "jerkin' the dog," the miracles'"come on do the jerk." and its also namedropped in several other tunes, like bobby marchan's "get down with it" and jackie lee's "the duck." the jerk was a huge dance craze when it was around, and we could be here all day and all of the night naming jerk tunes.

• Thanks for the reply. I was more or less certain that you would be the one dropping the info I needed. Much appreciated.

Dress

P.S. Hi Neal.