Norman "Hurricane" smith dead?

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
dude that engineered a buncha Beatles albums, produced classics like "SF Sorrow", "Piper at the Gets of Dawn" is being reported dead at 85, but all I can find is wiki and nerd forums like this one..no official obit, nothing on BBC...anyone else hear this?

Comments

• dude that engineered a buncha Beatles albums, produced classics like "SF Sorrow", "Piper at the Gets of Dawn" is being reported dead at 85, but all I can find is wiki and nerd forums like this one..no official obit, nothing on BBC...anyone else hear this?

No, but I saw him interviewed recently and he looked about 85.

He also had a hit as a pop singer in the early 70's.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

yeah, thats a weird little album...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,917 Posts
    dude that engineered a buncha Beatles albums, produced classics like "SF Sorrow", "Piper at the Gets of Dawn" is being reported dead at 85, but all I can find is wiki and nerd forums like this one..no official obit, nothing on BBC...anyone else hear this?

Naawwww!! My girl has done some work for him, and she says he's a lovely, sweet old man, who's only too happy to talk about working with Floyd and the Beatles to anyone who expresses an interest. I do hope this isn't true - she'll be really upset.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    nerd forums like this one..

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

yeah, thats a weird little album...

The hit was "Oh Babe, What Would You Say?" (released as by Hurricane Smith) and I knew him from that goofy 1920's crooner song before I knew about his studio cred, working with the Beatles and Pink Floyd. It's the type of song that turns up on best-of-the-groovy-seventies comps all the time. I remember Hit Parader did an article on him ca. 1973 that kept harping on his age (he was pushing fifty at the time, although his long hair made him look younger).

Here's a Youtube vid of him on UK television doing another song that didn't make it in the US: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaUZmMyflrA