How hard do you ride for Nico?

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Hipster latepass revoked part 1I'm not getting it. But I keep trying. I like All Tomorrow's Parties--that's about it. What am I missing? I also like John Cale a lot. I have a copy of Chelsea Girl, because a close friend swears it's one of the best records ever made. I just put The Marble Index and Desert Shore on hold. I passed on The End.

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Sell me your Chelsea Girl.

I'm tired of trying to find that record.

It rules, by the way.

The other solo stuff doesn't come close, although
    I have a soft spot for her version of "The End"

• I'm not getting it. But I keep trying. I like All Tomorrow's Parties--that's about it. What am I missing? I also like John Cale a lot. I have a copy of Chelsea Girl, because a close friends swears it's one of the best records ever made. I just put The Marble Index and Desert Shore on hold. I passed on The End.

All the Velvets stuff and Chelsea Girl. Admittedly an acquired taste.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I ride harder for Maureen Tucker based on the strength of "After Hours" alone.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I'm not getting it. But I keep trying. I like All Tomorrow's Parties--that's about it. What am I missing? I also like John Cale a lot. I have a copy of Chelsea Girl, because a close friends swears it's one of the best records ever made. I just put The Marble Index and Desert Shore on hold. I passed on The End.

never liked her, thought her contribution to first VU record was ok, but prefer those songs sung by either Cale or Reed in other versions.

Heard Chelsea Girl once, didn't spark my imagination, and Desert Shore was pretty dull to my ears. I guess it's safe to say, I don't ride.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I just found and heard Marble Index for the first time this weekend and I like it. How many times I'll end up playing it is another matter.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I like All Tomorrow's Parties--that's about it.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I ride harder for Maureen Tucker

co-sign!

I listened the sh*t out of this record back in the day and actually recently pulled it out again:

What I really need to hear is her version of 'Will You Love Me Tomorrow?'

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    And co-sign this:

All the Velvets stuff and Chelsea Girl.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I just put The Marble Index and Desert Shore on hold. I passed on The End.
    I like The End. I think Eno was the logical extension of where she wanted to go after Chelsea Girl. I don't like the Marble Index at all, too much orchestration where I feel mellow synthesizers sounded better (this is a personal feeling).

Chelsea Girl is awesome, but I find it very different than her other solo stuff. Most of which I do not like.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I bought Chelsea Girl in the UK and was really stoked to find it cuz I've heard so much about Nico... but it wasn't really my thing. Guzzo has my copy now I think.... I'm sure it meets the hype, just not my sound... Can I get a witness?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I ride.

I love her voice.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Marble Index is heavy.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    The concept of Nico records is admittedly sometimes better than Nico records themselves. But she is a fascinating and challenging pop figure, nonetheless. Put Nico Icon[/b] on your Netflix queue or watch it here. If I recall correctly, it depicts her as mysterious, sad and self-loathing. She developed a nasty heroin habit just so she could destroy her beauty. And she got her son Ari hooked.

There's a bohemian friend of hers that says, "Nico loved no one and no one loved Nico."

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

All the Velvets stuff and Chelsea Girl.

I'm not awake enough yet to offer some useful critique of why her voice works for me but I do know that her version of I'll Be Your Mirror is one of the loveliest songs I've ever heard. Chelsea Girl kinda expands on that same territory - it seems laced with sorrow but at the same time quite beautiful.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I saw her in concert a little less than a year before she died. She had a terrible band but did some songs just by herself while playing some small keyboard. That was pretty amazing.

Since then I gave away all of her records because I found them too depressing.

The movie is depressing too but worth watching.