Top 40 Texas Rap 12"s (This Post = Love)

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
My 40 favorite Texas rap 12"s from off of my shelves:40. Lil O "Back Back" - seriously, gimme 50 feet.39. Lil Flip "I Can Do Dat" - King's Flea Market leprechaun rap, nuff said.38. Boss Hogg Outlawz "Recognize a Playa" - all hail Mr. Lee, triumphantly regal. 37. UGK "Front Back and Side to Side" - Clutch City representers.36. S.L.A.B. "Streetz" - with Trae, Z-Ro, Bun B, HAWK, Paul Wall, off the chain.35. Odd Squad "I Can't See It" - Rob Quest on a rampage.34. Lil Flip "The Way We Ball" - really set it off in '02.33. Lil Keke "Southside" - most would rank this much higher, mega-classic.32. Blac Monks "Monks in the Jungle Style" - swinging on a vine and shit.31. Big Mello "Da Feva" - rapping his ass off was all he knew.30. Fat Pat "Wreckshop" - speaking of rapping his ass off.29. Tum Tum "Caprise Musik" - that beat is a monster.28. UGK "Choppin' Blades" - rewind to E-40 reveals cape-wearing credentials.27. Lil Troy "Wanna Be a Baller" - there's gotta be a better way.26. Raheem "5th Ward" - this that Crystal instead of Tabasco ish.25. Geto Boys "No Nuts No Glory" - Big Mike owns you.24. Paul Wall "Sittin' Sidewayz" - Salih's beat and then Pokey, muy slammin'. 23. OG Style "Catch em Slippin" - Malt liquor rap on hit.22. DJ DMD "25 Lighters" - Fat Pat owns you and your sister.21. UGK "Pocket Full of Stones" - wasn't pushing weight, I was barely moving dimes.20. Big Mello "Sucka Free" - litmus test for heart of flesh/milk dud.19. Paul Wall & Chamillionaire "N Love with My Money" - this would rank even higher if I had the 12" with "My Money Gets Jealous" on the flip.18. Devin "See What I Can Pull" - now that I'm here, I'm glad I came.17. Big Mike "Playa Playa" - most Southernest rap song ever made.16. Chamillion, Yung Redd & T.C. "I'm a Baller" (Part 2) - Chamillionaire back when I swear he used to be popping them x pills. 15. Fat Pat "Ghetto Dreams" - the 12" I've got this on also has "Tops Drop" plus Big Moe's "Barre Baby" and "Mann!" if that's any indication how much "Ghetto Dreams" jams. 14. Odd Squad "Fa Sho" - but I'm the one who fucked up.13. Ron C "Trendsetter" - was he lying?12. Slim Thug, Mike Jones & Paul Wall "Still Tippin" - Salih opening up the floodgates.11. Z-Ro "Mo City Don" - this is like a campfire song down here.10. Scarface "Mr. Scarface" - Colt .45 revolver type fierce. 9. Bun B "Get Throwed" - with Pimp C, Young Jeezy, Jay-Z and Z-Ro, other-worldly. 8. Trae "No Help" - Z-Ro is the greatest rapper alive, bar none. 7. UGK "One Day" - all the more resonant today.6. Lil Keke "Still Pimpin Pens" - DJ Screw related.5. HAWK "You Already Know" - forever creeping.4. Scarface "Now I Feel Ya" - you couldn't tell me nothing back then.3. Trae "Swang" - how did they know? 2. Geto Boys "Mind Playing Tricks on Me" - the godfather, everybody know me.1. Big Moe "Just a Dog" - this is as pure as it gets, a perfect specimen, un-stepped-on by lesser soles. I'm just a dog, don't blame me. Note: No, I didn't include D.O.C.'s records with Dr. Dre and yeah, some 12"s still on my wantlist would definitely supplant even some of my highest rankers.If you have copies, go ahead and please send to me:Fila Fresh Crew "I Hate to Go to Work" - here's where D.O.C. shows up, actually I want the LP with the baby on it, can't even fathom how high I must have been to have sold my old copy when I lived in the Bay. Scarface - the one with the picture cover that jdeez and noz were flaunting under our noses not too long ago.Guerilla Maab "Keep Watching Me" - I'm afraid to know how much I'd be willing to spend for this one.ESG & Slim Thug "Getchya Hands Up" - it physically hurts to still not have a copy of this one.Trae "Losing Composure" - I need to shake down Tomar for one of these. Alright, there you have it. Take it how you know you want it.

Comments

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Scarface - the one with the picture cover that jdeez and noz were flaunting under our noses not too long ago.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Scarface - the one with the picture cover that jdeez and noz were flaunting under our noses not too long ago.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

9. Bun B "Get Throwed" - with Pimp C, Young Jeezy, Jay-Z and Z-Ro, other-worldly.

assuming this top 40 is a rank from trill to trillest, I nominate this gets pushed back somewhere in the early 20's. Good, but not classic imo. 25 lighters should be closer to #1 too.

9. Bun B "Get Throwed" - with Pimp C, Young Jeezy, Jay-Z and Z-Ro, other-worldly.

assuming this top 40 is a rank from trill to trillest, I nominate this gets pushed back somewhere in the early 20's. Good, but not classic imo. 25 lighters should be closer to #1 too.

Fair enough...but do consider that you mighta moved away before having the chance to witness the power of "Get Throwed" in a true Texas club/live setting. Last year when UGK was here for SXSW, that song just might have been their apex. The beat is just too good and sinister not to put on a pedastal. Plus, the Jeezy adlibs are great. And of course when you have Ro doing your hook...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Plaese exchange the positions of #3 & #11. I really can't see Swang in the top ten and Mo City Don outside of the top ten.

Swang pretty much fell flat after radio rotation here, Mo City never got any radio love and gets the club/party about as buck as any other song period.

Plaese exchange the positions of #3 & #11. I really can't see Swang in the top ten and Mo City Don outside of the top ten.

Swang pretty much fell flat after radio rotation here, Mo City never got any radio love and gets the club/party about as buck as any other song period.

Swang has become a marching band staple though...

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    That's pretty amazing. Made my day, anyway...