Private press info, please... (new acquisition)

luckluck 4,077 Posts
edited July 2005 in Strut Central
In going through a collection I just picked up (mostly garbage), I came upon a vibe - based jazz LP called "Andrew McPherson at Smedley's." I really like the sound of this (although the song choices are hit-and-miss); it's smooth and vaguely afro-cuban. Probably only played once.

It's on Squalor Records (LP-101) got a b/w photo of Smedley's (bar?) on the cover.

The personnel:
Andrew McPherson - Drums
James Harriston - Congos
Wilbur Green - Bass
Wallace Burton - Piano
Robert Hechler - Vibes
Dinky Morris - Soprano & Tenor Sax

Produced by Al Smith.

Info, plaese. Thanks to the Massive in advance.

Comments

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    YO LET ME HOLLER AT THAT

looks ill!

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    is this a chicago thing??

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts

sayin t**, i'll meet you at smedley's to check for multiples

SQUALOR!

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    I've got this LP and really love it. Not funky really but great jazz. Seen this once or twice on UK dealers lists for big bucks.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

sayin t**, i'll meet you at smedley's to check for multiples

SQUALOR!

I know, right? That's even rawer than the Ghetto label. On some "eatin' rats to stay alive" bizness.

Got a sealed OG Hoodoo Man Blues and four Magic Sam records, too. Not at all rare, but perfect copies are good to have (esp. for free). I believe that Delmark has kept all these in print since they were released. Don't quote me on that.

Folks: don't look a gift LP collection in the mouth. Put them in the back seat and don't even check the titles until you get home. Yes, this is a Chicago thing.

• chrischris 287 Posts
    the cover of "wade in the water" is on 45 as well.

listing the full personnel on here = long distance "direct digging" bonanza.
    heh.