I quit smoking

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
On saturday.It sucks.But since its only day 3 I'm not when I can go from saying "I'm trying to quit smoking" to "I quit smoking". I guess since I haven't smoked yet, I'm official, but if I smoke once then its back to "trying" right?But I figure how hard could it be? All you have to do is not smoke. Its a 10 year habit and I totally want to burn one, but still, BTW - Anna, I got your text and it was really nice. thanks

Comments

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    On saturday.

It sucks.

But since its only day 3 I'm not when I can go from saying "I'm trying to quit smoking" to "I quit smoking". I guess since I haven't smoked yet, I'm official, but if I smoke once then its back to "trying" right?

But I figure how hard could it be? All you have to do is not smoke. Its a 10 year habit and I totally want to burn one, but still,

BTW - Anna, I got your text and it was really nice. thanks

Man, that's easier said than done. I've been smoking for 10 years as well and frankly, I just don't want to quit right now. I've tried before, but I lack the "want" to quit at this point in time. I figure my times coming this year...the matter at hand is do I WANT to or not.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    On saturday.

It sucks.

But since its only day 3 I'm not when I can go from saying "I'm trying to quit smoking" to "I quit smoking". I guess since I haven't smoked yet, I'm official, but if I smoke once then its back to "trying" right?

But I figure how hard could it be? All you have to do is not smoke. Its a 10 year habit and I totally want to burn one, but still,

BTW - Anna, I got your text and it was really nice. thanks

Congrats dude, I smoked like chimney yesterday for some reason.

I need to quit in a big way. I stopped for about 4 months but in that time a smoked a Primetime once a day, not feelin that, it's gotta be cold turkey.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    See the thing is, I don't think I'll ever "want" to, because I like it, so I might as well just quit whether I want to or not. I mean, I know I should, because smoking is stupid, but I sure do like it. but oh well.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i think you have to look it as "I don't smoke" from the very first day. I smoked for about 15 years solid, then for about 10 years off-an-on (less than a pack every two weeks). In December after I finished my last paper for school I just stopped, and I've only had one or two cigarettes since then, but I haven't been faced with the stress that usually triggers smoking - writing papers, studying for tests.

just dont beat up on yourself if you fall of the wagon once or twice. every cigarette less that you smoke the better, so you just have to keep on trying. Eventually you will find other things that you like to do that are just not compatible with smoking (like say, not having cancer or not having a heart attack at 50 - just kidding). Just be conscious about it, and slowly move it out of your life. Even if it takes the next five years, you'll be fine.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    AKO I SAW THAT!

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    AKO I SAW THAT!

hahaha, you fixed the thread title so my joke didnt make sense anymore....

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    AKO I SAW THAT!

[color:white] Interesting. How long have you been seeing things that other people can't? [/color]

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    AKO I SAW THAT!

I was replying about you being too slow, but when I hit "submit" it said the post had been deleted, so it looks like i was too slow too.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    AKO I SAW THAT!

I was replying about you being too slow, but when I hit "submit" it said the post had been deleted, so it looks like i was too slow too.

BOOYAH!!!

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Hey Dizzybull,

Fuck a cigarette.

If you want something in your mouth, act like your smoking a cinnamon stick or something. Go run on the grass with your bare feet, ride your bike, eat yogurt, drink wheatgrass, do some pushups. make some beats. if you wanna smoke, go hit somebody hard on the shoulder.

there are many awesome alternatives. By the time you get through the first couple months, you'll realize how much unnecessary harm you were inflicting on yourself.

Yuch

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    i just quit smoking ten-twelve days ago. it's rough at first, like you're a little kid and someone snatched your security blanket away. then it got better. this weekend i was out with friends who were blowing smoke the whole time and i beat any lingering temptation to join in.

think of it like this. if you keep smoking, it's like pulling one solid lower/mid level $$ record off your shelves once a month and junking it.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i need to do this. baby steps. i just quit coffee last week and everyone is a motherfucker right now. so im gon still need those cigarettes for a lil while. man im turning into a fat slob down here. its the car.

that just made me hungry again.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Dude i smoked for over 10 years, over a pack a day, i quit in november and i am still quit!

Trust me when i say this: It rules.

Not beeing addicted to stuff is whats up!

YOU CAN DO IT!!

I used the patch, but others i know have done it cold turkey. Just remember, its REALLY not as hard as people will tell you it is!

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    just dont beat up on yourself if you fall of the wagon once or twice. every cigarette less that you smoke the better, so you just have to keep on trying. Eventually you will find other things that you like to do that are just not compatible with smoking (like say, not having cancer or not having a heart attack at 50 - just kidding). Just be conscious about it, and slowly move it out of your life. Even if it takes the next five years, you'll be fine.
    Worst advice.. ever.

What got me through quitting smoking was whenever I contemplated having a cigarette (and this was after a few weeks) I just thought how incredibly bad the cigarette would taste and how completely unfulfilling it would be (because they generally are after not smoking for a few weeks). I also kept in my mind the idea that if I had only a single cigarette I would be throwing so much progress out the window. Just stay focused and don't let this move change your life too much. Being a non-smoker just means being more healthy, sleeping better, coughing less, becoming sick less, food tastes better and all that good stuff. Just give it a few weeks and you'll see.

Dude i smoked for over 10 years, over a pack a day, i quit in november and i am still quit!

YOU CAN DO IT!!

I used the patch, but others i know have done it cold turkey. Just remember, its REALLY not as hard as people will tell you it is!

has it helped with your fat sloppiness? cuz thats my concern. im turning into a blob. ive cut back. and ive quit in the past, well, i guess thats not really quitting. i stopped for phases but ever since i moved down here i bumped it up to a pack a day. now im back down to half a pack and im trying to shave it down to 5 a day which was my norm for years. but alas, all this talk gots me jonesin. i'll be right back.

YOU CAN DO IT!!

has it helped with your fat sloppiness? cuz thats my concern. im turning into a blob. ive cut back. and ive quit in the past, well, i guess thats not really quitting. i stopped for phases but ever since i moved down here i bumped it up to a pack a day. now im back down to half a pack and im trying to shave it down to 5 a day which was my norm for years. but alas, all this talk gots me jonesin. i'll be right back.

To be perfectly honest with you, the real reason that i quit was to get weight loss surgery, which i just had last thursday. But in the build up to that i had to start a workout regimen and i can tell you that I could feel my lungs healing and making things a lot easier.

So to answer your question, yes, quitting smoking is a good step on the road to getting rid of your fat sloppyness. Even though at current I am still fairly fat and sloppy.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

YOU CAN DO IT!!

To be perfectly honest with you, the real reason that i quit was to get weight loss surgery, which i just had last thursday. But in the build up to that i had to start a workout regimen and i can tell you that I could feel my lungs healing and making things a lot easier.

So to answer your question, yes, quitting smoking is a good step on the road to getting rid of your fat sloppyness. Even though at current I am still fairly fat and sloppy.

people are always saying that quitting smoking puts on 15 pounds or something. I can see why now. actually 1 time when I def don't crave it is when I'm eating. So I'm trying to stick to carrots and shit so I don't balloon up, because I've been putting on pounds anyways. I'm getting fat, so maybe this is bad timing. So I went on a run after work. I figure maybe it will even shit out or something.

b-sides, did you do the gastric bypass thing? they said you couldn't do it if you smoke? why?

sweet dude. thanks for the info. yeah, i dont want to be too sexy, just pre-LA sexy chubs. well, healthy is more what its about.

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    I want to stop... The problem with me is if I tell myself I won't, I'll be at the gas station getting gas and the devil in me will say: "the cigarettes are right in there! All you have to do is go in after you get gas." And I fall for it everytime.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    What's up with quitting coffee? And how has that been?

i still drink on the weekends. its not that bad really. i guess i wasnt as addicted to coffee as i thought.

in related news, i talked with the dude at milk on beverly cuz i like that spot and they have great coffee. he said they get their beans from LA mill which made sense.

YOU CAN DO IT!!

people are always saying that quitting smoking puts on 15 pounds or something. I can see why now. actually 1 time when I def don't crave it is when I'm eating. So I'm trying to stick to carrots and shit so I don't balloon up, because I've been putting on pounds anyways. I'm getting fat, so maybe this is bad timing. So I went on a run after work. I figure maybe it will even shit out or something.

b-sides, did you do the gastric bypass thing? they said you couldn't do it if you smoke? why?

actually i did the gastric banding which is a little less intense. The program at cedar's makes you stop smoking before the surgery i think mostly to see that you are committed to a serious lifestyle change. It IS elective surgery so they want to have as many people that have success with the whole weight loss process as possible. However, most surgeons will tell you that they do not enjoy operating on someone who is a smoker and the risks of complication can be much higher. One of the biggest is that nicotine severely thins out your blood, which can be a complication. Also strong lung capacity is very important when recovering from the anesthesia.

Over the months that i did quit smoking i also was careful to significantly alter my diet and start an exercise program so while i didn't lose any weight, i didn't gain any either.

I think fear of gaining weight is a poor excuse to keep smoking though.

I firmly believe that if i can quit smoking, anyone can, and i am in FULL support of your decision dizzy. I know that it takes a fair amount of psyching yourself out of it to be successful, so pm me if you need any help with that.

DUDE, you can do it! it has been one of the best things ive done for myself in a long time.

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    Man I need to get on your level... Seems really hard mentally though.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts

YOU CAN DO IT!!

actually i did the gastric banding which is a little less intense. The program at cedar's makes you stop smoking before the surgery i think mostly to see that you are committed to a serious lifestyle change. It IS elective surgery so they want to have as many people that have success with the whole weight loss process as possible. However, most surgeons will tell you that they do not enjoy operating on someone who is a smoker and the risks of complication can be much higher. One of the biggest is that nicotine severely thins out your blood, which can be a complication. Also strong lung capacity is very important when recovering from the anesthesia.

Over the months that i did quit smoking i also was careful to significantly alter my diet and start an exercise program so while i didn't lose any weight, i didn't gain any either.

I think fear of gaining weight is a poor excuse to keep smoking though.

I firmly believe that if i can quit smoking, anyone can, and i am in FULL support of your decision dizzy. I know that it takes a fair amount of psyching yourself out of it to be successful, so pm me if you need any help with that.

DUDE, you can do it! it has been one of the best things ive done for myself in a long time.

You know what the funny thing is? After years and years of hearing how hard it is to quit, it actually seems easier than what I thought. Not that I expected to get all Pookie and shit, but still its not too bad I guess.

The other motivator is that other people besides you have said that its actually better to no longer be a smoker. that life improves and stuff. so that is something to look forward to I guess. And I'm gonna learn magic to kill the time, which is kinda gay, but whatever.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    GO GARY! YOU ROCK!

I just quit sugar. It's a month-long experiment. I want to kill everyone.

Everything has sugar- crackers, roast turkey, dried cranberries, most soymilk- ARHGH!

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    GO GARY! YOU ROCK!

Everything has sugar- crackers, roast turkey, dried cranberries, most soymilk- ARHGH!

My older sister went off sugar, wheat, gluten, etc. for a couple of years. Said it was the best she ever felt. You have to be careful weaning yourself back onto sugar, though. I once went to a movie with her while she was on the no sugar regimen. She ate half a box of milk duds and lost her mind. She was laughing hysterically, seeing double, tripping over herself - her friend ended up having to drive! It seriously looked like she had just finished a 12 hour pub crawl.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i used to work at a coffee joint and drank too much coffee everyday. i quit while i was working and just started drinking tea instead. i drink tea and water and that's about it.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    GO GARY! YOU ROCK!

how the hell do you quit sugar?

i need to learn how to quit sodium. i don't think it's possible at this point in time of my life

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    GO GARY! YOU ROCK!

My older sister went off sugar, wheat, gluten, etc. for a couple of years. Said it was the best she ever felt. You have to be careful weaning yourself back onto sugar, though. I once went to a movie with her while she was on the no sugar regimen. She ate half a box of milk duds and lost her mind. She was laughing hysterically, seeing double, tripping over herself - her friend ended up having to drive! It seriously looked like she had just finished a 12 hour pub crawl.

That's got to be cool when you're that cheap a date!

I'm cutting down on carbs. I'm already working out or running 5 times a week, but still not loosing the paunch. So the new order on weekdays (sun - thurs.) is: no beer, no carbs (rice/bread/pasta... maybe 1 serving of whole wheat bread or brown rice), no sugar/cream in coffee, no CHIPS dammit. LA has turned me into a mexican food monster and I routinely go overboard on tortilla chips, which are pretty crap for you.