The ill ass playlist from my gig this Saturday

CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
So I played a private event in Boston this past Saturday. Here's a list of songs requested by the birthday girl. I shit you not. And I played most of them too.Britney Spears "Hit Me Baby One More Time"Santana "Smooth" feat. Rob ThomasMariah Carey "Fantasy"Hanson "Mmm Bop"Blackstreet "No Diggity"Backstreet Boys "Everybody"Backstreet Boys "I Want It That Way"TLC "No Scrubs"Will Smith "Gettin??? Jiggy Wit It"Spice Girls "Wannabe"Boyz II Men "I???ll Make Love To You"Mariah Carey "Dreamlover"Ricky Martin "Livin??? La Vida Loca"K-Ci and JoJo "All My Life"Sugar Ray "Fly"Ace Of Base "The Sign"Christina Aguilera "Genie In A Bottle"Christina Aguilera "What A Girl Wants"Christina Aguilera "Come On Over"Saying though - the shit that trips me out is that it was a girl's 21st birthday party and there was no requests for anything aside from this late 90s pop music. It just didn't make sense to me that there wouldn't be anything relatively contemporary... like no Missy Elliott? Color me disconnected but fuck it, she wanted it, she got it.BONUS BEATS: The sister of the birthday girl came up to me at the beginning of the night and said "If you have it, could you play Vanilla Ice's 'Ninja Rap' later on tonight? That's our SONG!" So I downloaded it from Amazon and put that shit in the mix.OOohhh lordy, how I've soold my soul... but it was ALL WORTH IT hahahah!

Comments

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Wow... once you throw in the towel and start playing this stuff i imagine it just becomes Frickin' hilarious right? i mean, i bet you had fun, -surreal, what-the-fuck type fun, but fun nonetheless.

Ninja rap? Dude.

That party rules.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The fact that I got paid an ABSURD amount of money really makes up for anything, but yeah it was definitely hilarious. Hanson in the club, kid, I thought you knew.

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Why would someone pay so much money for a really good DJ only to not use their talent or taste in music and make them play that? It makes no sense why they didn't just have an ipod hooked up or some mobile disco type cheap guy... Glad you got paid big though.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Nah I did my thing though. It was kind of like she wanted to hear those songs and left it up to me to fill in the rest. But honestly I don't give a fuck. You gonna pay me almost 5 figures for not quite 2 hours of work? I'll Frickin' spin Yanni while breakdancing. I don't give a fuck.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I don't know, I think I'd get a certain pleasure out of watching a skilled DJ juggle doubles of I Want It That Way.

I'm puzzled by the Ace of Base though - that must have come out when she was around 4/5 years old? I guess they truly are a band whose classics transcend generations.

Almost 5 figures by the way?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Dude, don't get it twisted though:

I Want It That Way

Incredible song. Amazingly well written and produced pop record.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

I Want It That Way

Oh no doubt, all irony aside you're preaching to the converted when it comes to recognising pop genius. The guys behind that were absolute killing it for a while there.

Mmm-Bop

Fly

Incredibly awful song. Amazingly badly written and produced piece of shit record performed by a pack of dickheads.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Mmm-Bop

Dust Brothers produced that.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    but fuck it, she wanted it, she got it.

i never understood the logic of djs that will gladly play any requested rap song, no matter how awful -because its rap, but stand on principle when 37 girls come up and request the same britney spears song.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    You gonna pay me almost 5 figures for not quite 2 hours of work? I'll Frickin' spin Yanni while breakdancing.

I WOULD PAY TO SEE THIS!!!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Get it how you know you want it.

Why the hell not?

Plus, I like hearing Ace of Base's The Sign at family-oriented social events....especially when wooden decks and cold seafood are involved.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    especially when wooden decks and cold seafood are involved.

I take it this is not one of the crawfish boils you've been known to refer to elsewhere.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    So I played a private event in Boston this past Saturday. Here's a list of songs requested by the birthday girl. I shit you not. And I played most of them too.

Britney Spears "Hit Me Baby One More Time"
    Santana "Smooth" feat. Rob Thomas
    Mariah Carey "Fantasy"
    Hanson "Mmm Bop"
    Blackstreet "No Diggity"
    Backstreet Boys "Everybody"
    Backstreet Boys "I Want It That Way"
    TLC "No Scrubs"
    Will Smith "Gettin??? Jiggy Wit It"
    Spice Girls "Wannabe"
    Boyz II Men "I???ll Make Love To You"
    Mariah Carey "Dreamlover"
    Ricky Martin "Livin??? La Vida Loca"
    K-Ci and JoJo "All My Life"
    Sugar Ray "Fly"
    Ace Of Base "The Sign"
    Christina Aguilera "Genie In A Bottle"
    Christina Aguilera "What A Girl Wants"
    Christina Aguilera "Come On Over"

Why you gotta put KitchenKnight/Jaymack/SoulOnIce/Lambert/PJ4533 on blast like that?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    especially when wooden decks and cold seafood are involved.

I take it this is not one of the crawfish boils you've been known to refer to elsewhere.

Crawfish should be served warm.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

Mariah Carey "Fantasy"
    Hanson "Mmm Bop"
    Blackstreet "No Diggity"
    TLC "No Scrubs"
    Spice Girls "Wannabe"
    Sugar Ray "Fly"
    Ace Of Base "The Sign"

MP3 PLEASE.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    "If you have it, could you play Vanilla Ice's 'Ninja Rap' later on tonight? That's our SONG!"

Are you denying this undeniable song!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

Mariah Carey "Fantasy"
    Hanson "Mmm Bop"
    Blackstreet "No Diggity"
    TLC "No Scrubs"
    Spice Girls "Wannabe"
    Sugar Ray "Fly"
    Ace Of Base "The Sign"

SELL OUT!!!!!

sike,
    get money coz

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I like how you played three Aguilera songs in the row at the end. Plaese to post the actual "History of 90's Pop" mix.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    When I was in Korea about 2 years back I heard the illest version of "oops i did it again" in the subway platform. It was men singing, and there was like trombones and shit, and it was almost like a slow ska version of the song. it was a trip. I need that.

Anybody ever heard of this? I swear at the time it sounded kinda dope.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I like how you played three Aguilera songs in the row at the end. Plaese to post the actual "History of 90's Pop" mix.

We need the Rub to do one year for year - so we can hear how Ace of Bases sound evolved over the years.

Bonus fact: Ulf, main songwriter for Ace of Base, was a neo nazi in his youth. He even had a nazi punk band that recorded some songs. They were compiled by a Swedish magazine - the comp was titled "Uffe was a nazi".

• So I played a private event in Boston this past Saturday. Here's a list of songs requested by the birthday girl. I shit you not. And I played most of them too.

Mariah Carey "Fantasy"
    Hanson "Mmm Bop"
    Blackstreet "No Diggity"
    TLC "No Scrubs"
    Spice Girls "Wannabe"
    Sugar Ray "Fly"
    Ace Of Base "The Sign"

Saying though - the shit that trips me out is that it was a girl's 21st birthday party and there was no requests for anything aside from this late 90s pop music. It just didn't make sense to me that there wouldn't be anything relatively contemporary... like no Missy Elliott? Color me disconnected but fuck it, she wanted it, she got it.

BONUS BEATS: The sister of the birthday girl came up to me at the beginning of the night and said "If you have it, could you play Vanilla Ice's 'Ninja Rap' later on tonight? That's our SONG!" So I downloaded it from Amazon and put that shit in the mix.

OOohhh lordy, how I've soold my soul... but it was ALL WORTH IT hahahah!

This and your avatar is a good combination (yes positive k).

for the sake of entertainment[/b]

Can we hear some little dudes reason as to why a deejay woudn't do a poarty like this for the amount offered?

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    that party sounds like it would have been fun to dj! for real...

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Nah it wasn't quite like that, that' just the list as it was given to me. However I did BLOW MINDS when I did the Backstreet Boys "Everybody" into "Getting Jiggy With it" into HANSON into Sugar Ray. Them kids were Frickin' FEEEEEELING IT. It was crazy. My homegirl who was there was just like "YO SHIT I can't believe that you just did that, and make it actually sound good."

Unrelated, I'm listening to this thing called Black Spade "The Actioneer EP" and it's Frickin' INSANE how good it is.

• [
    Unrelated, I'm listening to this thing called Black Spade The Actioneer EP and it's Frickin' INSANE how good it is.
    The singer/rapper dude?

I just got his album over the weekend. Shit is insane. "To Serve With Love" drops on tuesday.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Take it to the BLACK SPADE thread...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I don't think anyone in their right mind would turn down close to $10,000 for a DJ gig.

• I don't think anyone in their right mind would turn down close to $10,000 for a DJ gig.

you'd be surprised how lazy and/or self-righteous deejay dudes can be.