Stealing records from the library. When its ok:

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Y or N?a) According to the library's own stamps, only one person aside from you has checked it out in 5 yearsb) inevitably its just going to get liquidated, wrecked, broken, lost, or stolen by someone elsec) you promise to digitize it and share it with the world on Soulseekd) its really good and rare and you want it really bad

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    N

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Dude, there's no excuse for stealing.
    Record Karma is a b!t*h; you steal, you loose.

Peace

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    damn when I was a kid I would see alot of records in the library but I never checked any out. Do they still have records in libraries?

• HamHam 872 Posts
    N

(will most of us do it anyway once opportunity is given: Y)

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Did you even read the bullet points or was this just a knee jerk reaction to the word "stealing"? Point B especially is a pretty strong one.

Point B especially is a pretty strong one.

Point B sounds to me like self-justification.

The only reason listed that I can see being valid is
    if you were told they were going to throw them all away
    in a week or something, but wouldn't sell or donate them.

But "someone else will steal it anyway" is the most common
    excuse people give for doing this, and it's really fucking lame,
    so, no, I don't think it's a "pretty strong" reason.

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    Do they still have records in libraries?
    I'd be really surprised to find any around here...

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

• tomasltomasl 315 Posts

Someone else is going to eventually rob that bank too, but...

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    definitly not defending stealing records from the library, however... A good friend who works at the main branch here in Chicago brought me a copy of Sarah Webster Fabio - Jujus about 5 years ago... and told me the women working there were destroying the records by cracking them in half on purpose, and ripping the jackets in half. He said that is the standard protocol for them when the libraries take the records out of circulation, and the women got angry at him when he took a small stack that they were destroying.

However, this doesn't justify stealing em. Ask the library what they do when they take them out of circulation. Some of them have sales.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    you are stealing from other's education. borrow the records, digitize it and return it. the library was a great education to myself when i wanted to find out a bit about the blues. in grade 8, borrowing blues cassettes was a great routine. if someone decided to do what you're proposing, chances are i might not have checked out magic sam, howlin wolf, muddy waters etc. you are stealing from people with lower incomes or who have curiousities of stuff they might not have gotten into. all so that you can own the material possesion of a physical format when the option is there to have the source digitally. as i've stated numerous timeson this site before i dont even collect records, but i collect music and music belongs to everybody. karma.

Ok, I agree that the "someone else will steal it" point is shady. But the other ones hold up. These things will eventually be damaged by someone or just plain scrapped. If not outright thrown out then at least boxed up and hidden away in the bowels of the library system forever. Not to mention I'd be paying the library a $30 dollar fee for losing an item. I don't know this is any less scrupulous than giving an old widow 5 bucks a piece for her husband's Blue Note collection.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Are we really having this discussion AGAIN?

Just take the Frickin' record and don't tell the internet about it.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    Are we really having this discussion AGAIN?

Just take the Frickin' record and don't tell the internet about it.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

seriously. not that i think its right.
    but dont come and ask the preachiest message board on the interwebs their advice on stealing. you might as well make a poast about how you like to drink and drive.

the preachiest message board on the interwebs

you might as well make a poast about how you like to drink and drive.

ha, yeah. I remember that one. What a classic. I probably shouldn't mention that celebratory flask of Seagrams I was going to slam on my way out the library doors.

the preachiest message board on the interwebs

you don't come off as holier than thou. you speak like you've lived and learned (shoutout to joe public). some cats just talk down to people like theyre god's self-proclaimed spokesperson.

For future reference I would like to get some opinions on acceptable circumstances under which to steal a loaf of bread...

A. I am starving to death and promise to go to confession afterwards.

B. I am stealing it for a poor family with starving children.

C. It's stale anyway.

D. I have some bomb ass deli meat but only crappy Wonder Bread to make a sandwich with. Clearly this meat deserves better. This bread I would be stealing is all like gourmet and shit.

you forgot
    E. Someone's gonna steal it anyway.

you forgot
    E. Someone's gonna steal it anyway.

and

D. I've heard of some angry unstable bakers who destroy bread for fun.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    borrow the records, digitize it, return it, sell the mp3s, buy OGs.[/b]

For future reference I would like to get some opinions on acceptable circumstances under which to steal a loaf of bread...

A. I am starving to death and promise to go to confession afterwards.

B. I am stealing it for a poor family with starving children.

C. It's stale anyway.

D. I have some bomb ass deli meat but only crappy Wonder Bread to make a sandwich with. Clearly this meat deserves better. This bread I would be stealing is all like gourmet and shit.

16 thousand posts and still fresh as ever. God bless you....

God bless you.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    borrow the records, digitize it, return it, sell the mp3s, buy OGs.[/b]

Yeah, this sounds good.

If it's about rescuing music, you don't need to keep the records.

Anything else is a rationale to steal.

• you are stealing from other's education. borrow the records, digitize it and return it. the library was a great education to myself when i wanted to find out a bit about the blues. in grade 8, borrowing blues cassettes was a great routine. if someone decided to do what you're proposing, chances are i might not have checked out magic sam, howlin wolf, muddy waters etc. you are stealing from people with lower incomes or who have curiousities of stuff they might not have gotten into. all so that you can own the material possesion of a physical format when the option is there to have the source digitally. as i've stated numerous timeson this site before i dont even collect records, but i collect music and music belongs to everybody. karma.

soulstrut...where dead horses are beat daily. how many new topics appear here any more...really ?

for every notion thought of as far as reasons why/ why not....theres a counter for them
    the exact logic above has failed...and ive witnessed it more than once.
    same thing meaty said...ive seen as well..im like let me leave some behind. went back...2 weeks to the public library.....gone, " we through them out"

"oh leave these records so the new generation can play them at the station"...2 years later..all gone. is that karma as well ?? cmon.
    so, the way i see it...some new jack herb got them instead of me. dog eat dog.
    a very good friend of mine, came into 2 crates of records..like metal road cases and all. hits me up...um like mmmm i dont really want them..well my man aint givin em back...and he will certainly, easily find the next man who will gladly take them.
    karma does not exist...sorry. i used to think that it did.. but ive had far too much taken away from me to simply be on some old..."yeaa...thats karma" some man made shit to keep mufuckas in check..like religion. gthowtbs...4 real. the world is yours. know when to hold em..know when to fold em.

yall got shit so twisted on what is acceptable to steal...filesharing, downloading..shit... stealing peices of music made by others and now calling it your own, wait...is that...is that called rap music ?
    seems like some of yall think cuz its not tangible its all good.
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz on this topic.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    some man made shit to keep mufuckas in check..like religion. gthowtbs...4 real.

I pr[/b]ay to post on this site

anyhow if a question is posed, expect opinions. i agree with the post earlier that said if you're gonna do it, just do it, dont post about it

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    soulstrut...where dead horses are beat daily. how many new topics appear here any more...really ?

for every notion thought of as far as reasons why/ why not....theres a counter for them
    same thing meaty said...ive seen as well..im like let me leave some behind. went back...2 weeks to the public library.....gone, " we through them out"

"oh leave these records so the new generation can play them at the station"...2 years later..all gone. is that karma as well ?? cmon.
    a very good friend of mine, came into 2 crates of records..like metal road cases and all. hits me up...um like mmmm i dont really want them..well my man aint givin em back...and he will certainly, easily find the next man who will gladly take them.
    karma does not exist...sorry. i used to think that it did.. but ive had far too much taken away from me to simply be on some old..."yeaa...thats karma" some man made shit to keep mufuckas in check..like religion. gthowtbs...4 real. the world is yours. know when to hold em..know when to fold em.

yall got shit so twisted on what is acceptable to steal...filesharing, downloading..shit... stealing peices of music made by others and now calling it your own, wait...is that...is that called rap music ?

You sound miserable.

Chopping off hands was some man made shit to keep those Karma believing mufuckas in check.

Deal.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    you are stealing from other's education. borrow the records, digitize it and return it. the library was a great education to myself when i wanted to find out a bit about the blues. in grade 8, borrowing blues cassettes was a great routine. if someone decided to do what you're proposing, chances are i might not have checked out magic sam, howlin wolf, muddy waters etc. you are stealing from people with lower incomes or who have curiousities of stuff they might not have gotten into. all so that you can own the material possesion of a physical format when the option is there to have the source digitally. as i've stated numerous timeson this site before i dont even collect records, but i collect music and music belongs to everybody. karma.

relax, Walter

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    WHAT RECORDS ARE WE TALKING ABOUT?

IF IT'S A GOOD RECORD, THEN I SAY DONATE THE LIBRARY A COUPLE BUCKS AND COP IT!

OTHERWISE, STEAL IT! I LOVE TO STEAL!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I'm betting you have more turnovers than steals

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

I'm betting you have more turnovers than steals

By the way, this is true.....