Marvin Gaye - Ernie Barnes

Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
with reference to the sugar shack (an excerpt here on the left), the author's website report year 1971, but the album came out around 76...Was Ernie to make up the "Marvin Gaye - I want you" detail in 71 and Marvin naming the album AFTER the writing in that painting ? or the title in paintig was simply added for the album ?BTW I apologize for my messed up english and thanks for any

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Good question.

I checked my Good Times DVD series.

The Sugar Shack Painting that's displayed doesn't have the Marvin Gaye banner in the party.
    And it made its debut during the Fourth season which was 1976/77.

I Want You is 1976.

I can see Barnes painting the banner in for the album and the leaving it in.

???

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Myself, I'm even more impressed by the reference to San Diego bluesman Big Daddy Rucker. Marvin Gaye must have been too, because BDR gets namechecked in one of the songs on I Want You. I'm assuming that Barnes probably attended a few of Rucker's gigs back in the early sixties, when Barnes was a football player with the San Diego Chargers.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I have all of Ernie Barnes' lp covers.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i found a signed ernie barnes print of the sugar shack picture at the laney flea market for $10 already framed.

i found a signed ernie barnes print of the sugar shack picture at the laney flea market for $10 already framed.

Damn.

• I have all of Ernie Barnes' lp covers.

Post 'em..Lets start a Ernie Barnes appreciation post..

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Outside of Curtis and Marvin who else used him for a cover?

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

HFri., March 14

1:30 ??? Dan B.

^Donald Byrd, Hope Faith & Charity, The Crusaders... should be one more

I will dig them out and photo, but it might have to wait till after the Montreal trip.

I had a Disco/R&B/Funk album by a Group named somethin like Pride,Freedom,Ecstacy. Somethin like that, and they had a Barnes work for the cover. Then again it might have been faux-Barnes.

What's the Hip Hop group that used a Graffitti-esque version of Barnes' Sugar Shack for their cover and used the Good Times Set for the video? I cant fuckin' think the group.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I had a Disco/R&B/Funk album by a Group named somethin like Pride,Freedom,Ecstacy. Somethin like that, and they had a Barnes work for the cover. Then again it might have been faux-Barnes.

What's the Hip Hop group that used a Graffitti-esque version of Barnes' Sugar Shack for their cover and used the Good Times Set for the video? I cant fuckin' think the group.

Camp Lo

I totally forgot about that Donald Byrd cover.

I've got lots of love for Ernie Barnes

faux-Barnes.

Camp Lo

As much as I like the effort for referencing Barnes herr, it really is a bad painting.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

As much as I like the effort for referencing Barnes herr, it really is a bad painting.

Didn't REVOLT do that cover?

that REVOLTING cover?