In Loving Memory/Motown Album

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited March 2008 in Strut Central
Ive never seen this gospel comp by Motown on vinyl.Critique Pleez?And I just recently heard Marvin Gaye's His Eye Is On The Sparrow....... I need this, but i kinda dont wanna cop a "Best Of " CD.

Comments

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    whew! i thought this was going to be a R.I.P thread. Glad i was wrong.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

yeah I thought Hitsville burned down or something...don't scare me like that!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I think Motown reissued this in the eighties. I know I've seen it around inexpensively.

I don't own the record myself, but I do have the single of Marvin's "His Eye Is On The Sparrow" backed with Gladys Knight & the Pips doing "Just A Closer Walk With Thee," and both show that these artists could handle gospel when they wanted to. Even if those two tracks turn out to be the best songs, it sounds like it'd still be worth buying.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I don't own the record myself, but I do have the single

45 or 12"

45 or 12"

45 RPM's.

This was 1968. A twelve-inch single wouldn't even have been an option back then.

The title refers to the death of Loucye G. Wakefield, a beloved Motown employee (and one of Berry Gordy's sisters). Soon after she passed, a grip of label acts got together and recorded this tribute LP.

45 or 12"

45 RPM's.

This was 1968. A twelve-inch single wouldn't even have been an option back then.

Is this pre-Norman Whitfield?

45 or 12"

45 RPM's.

Nah, Whitfield was already on the Motown staff by then.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    My memory of it is that it had the worse schmaltzy backing tracks and overly sentimental vocals.

I'd gladly give it another listen if I bumped into it.

45 or 12"

45 RPM's.

Nah, Whitfield was already on the Motown staff by then.

Nah I was wondering if this was before the MPG album.
    Its dated 1968 and Mpg was like 69.

I recall Whitfield's story is he was able to shake Marvin up and make him get his growl w/ MPG.

I don't know the dates these albums were recorded, but as far as the release dates, In Loving Memory was Sept. '68, MPG was June '69.

Haven't played Marvin's "...Sparrow" in a minute, but I recall that he hadn't started "growling" yet.