BUDDY MILES DEAD AT AGE 60

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Buddy Miles born September 5th, 1947 in Omaha Nebraska, passed away Tuesday, peacefully on February 26, 2008, 10:09 p.m. in his home; at (60) sixty years old. He is survived by spouse Sherrilae Chambers -Miles, and soul sister Connie; who stood by his side with other close family and friends. There will be multiple Memorial/Tribute services across the United States beginning in Austin, Texas on March 30th at Threadgill???s on Riverside. He is survived by his step-daughter Chealsea, step-son Asa, grandson Brenden and granddaughter Mia, Niece???s Shalis, and Suquett, Nephew???s, Jay and Tony, great nieces, Brianna and Miracle, great nephew???s, Calvin and Jay, and Gino Parsons of Omaha. Buddy also leaves Randy Pavlock and a few others from Austin, whom he considered his own sons. He leaves many close friends and fans and a great musical legacy that will live on forever. In lieu of flowers; the family has asked to please make donations to the Jazz Foundation of America specifically in Buddy Miles??? name to assist with funeral, and other expenses at www.jazzfoundation.org ; The Jazz Foundation of America, at 322 West 48th Street, New York, NY, 10036, Attn.: Amy Cusma. He performed with some of the greatest names in musical history such as: Stevie Wonder, Muddy Waters, Michael Bloomfield, Wilson Pickett, Stephen Stills, Neil Young, David Crosby, Jack Bruce, Eric Burden, Peter Torque, Billy Gibbons, Prince, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jimmy Vaughan, Rick James, Kool and the Gang, Jr. Brown, Ike Turner, Pinetop Perkins, Jr. Wells, Koko Taylor, Johnny Taylor, Barry White, Aretha Franklin, George Clinton, Bootsy Collins, Carlos Santana, Jimi Hendrix, Robert Lockwood, Jr., Billy Cox, David Bowie and so many others; the list is shorter of whom he did not play with, than who he did. Buddy Miles spent over (50) fifty years in the music world recording over 70 albums and performing for numerous world tours, television commercials, videos and charity events

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    R.I.P.

• guess he was on that last gallon of Miles...sorry to hear.

• That's a bummer. I just digitized some Buddy for the blog. I guess I'll have to post it as a tribute...RIP

• RIP

One of the first artists I discovered that got me into collecting records

I saw him at the Maritime Hall here in SF back in like 97. He had a hard time walking way back then. But he could still play those drums and sing.

• R.I.P.

he will be missed!!!!

• RIP to a prolific and talented artist.

• still a young man...sad...RIP

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    WHOA!
    I was listening to Devotion late last night.

R.I.P.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts
    Just picked up a few records with him on them....R.I.P.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

one of the first records i bought when i first started diggin

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    R.I.P. to one of the greats.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    RIP to a legend.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    That sucks...I was just watching his commentary about Electric Ladyland the other night on one of those VH1 classic album specials. He remained such a soft-spoken dude over the years...and that's commendable. Sure glad that I was able to catch him join the New Orleans Social Club for a rendition of Them Changes at the ACL Fest 2 years ago.

RIP...

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Wow... everyone must die at least once...

I always find it interesting that we mourn people who die... sure you will miss them but they have it easy now... you still have the burden of living and a nice likkle burden it is...

• one of the first records i bought when i first started diggin

same here... RIP. such a young man too....

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    That's a real shame. RIP

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    RIP, sad news, a great artist.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    R.I.P

i'm playing "pain", "down by the river" and the whole "expressway to your skull" lp tonight. dude was a huge talent.

• Wow... everyone must die at least once...

I always find it interesting that we mourn people who die...

Well, we were fans, so of course we're gonna stop and pause for the man. Otherwise, I guess I agree...

sure you will miss them but they have it easy now... you still have the burden of living and a nice likkle burden it is...

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Rest in peace, was just playing Band of Gypsies last night on the radio and talking about how much better Hendrix's music was when they played together.

• My brief tribute here...

I posted MP3s of Buddy doing 'Dreams' and 'Down By the River', as well as Ramsey Lewis doing 'Them Changes'...

• I got to see him with Santana back in 1987 at the Poplar Creek Ampitheater in Chicago. Great show.
    RIP.

• one of the first records i bought when i first started diggin

me 3. i would love a post of the inside of the gatefold. I used to stare at that picture for hours.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• ^^^ Great Picture. Better days

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

damn. coolest lookin dude ever.

R.I.P.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

one of the first records i bought when i first started diggin

me 3. i would love a post of the inside of the gatefold. I used to stare at that picture for hours.

Me 4. I think it was in my parents collection. It took me a long time to appreciate Neil Young's "Down By the River" after so many years of hearing that one.

He was young, but he lived a life most people can only dream of.

R.I.P. Mr. Miles.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Rest in peace...

• Damn. Young, too...which means he was YOUNG when he did Band of Gypsys.

That will always be my favorite stuff that Hendrix ever recorded.

R.I.P.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Damn!!! RIP to one of the greats. Buddy Miles is one of my favorite artists. Thanks for your great contributions to music, Buddy. You'll be sorely missed. I wish peace and comfort to your family during their time of bereavement.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak