90's indie rap classics

RishanRishan 454 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
Can I ask for a moment of your time to help compile a list of classic independent hip hop records from the 90's? The reason being that I've forgotten all the stuff I used to listen to at school and recently found my DJ Premier - 'New York Reality Check 101' tape, which I listened to virtually every day for a couple of years. I still absolutely love it, every song, the cutting and mixing, little beats/interludes, and him and Mr Dave talking in between. By far the best comp/mix of it's kind. So many good memories from a time when life was easier, that I would like to revisit since I sold my records and moved overseas.I started buying rap in '96 when the indie scene was quite fresh and exciting for a young pup, but then gave up a few years later when it became rubbish (anticon etc and a mountain of billions of other crap, bandwagon jumping, boring cliche records), the whole atmosphere changed and it wasn't fun anymore. And being in the UK at the time, it was a small thing, fun, unique and different, much like I imagine it being growing up in New York in the 80's. I still remember my friends and I getting the lists of imports sent to us from mail order shops like Mr Bongo in London, and reading their comments and recommendations before deciding what to buy! So anyway, 12 years on, if you could post a dope artist or specific record that will help jog my memory, it would be much appreciated. And would-be-classics only please, no Mos Def thanks!I'll start with someone I used to really like: Lace Da Booms. He had a couple of 12"s and a double EP, all nice records, and that was all he ever released I think. I seem to recall the other guy on that label (Mike Zoot?) being fairly rubbish though!Oh and if anyone knows about other comps/mixes like the Premier one, and more importantly where the hell to buy it, would mean a lot. Cheers

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Oh and if anyone knows about other comps/mixes like the Premier one, and more importantly where the hell to buy it, would mean a lot. Cheers

Meet me at my storage around 6:30. Bring cash.

• Stretch Armstrong-Lesson 1 (1997)
    Stretch Armstrong-Lesson 2 (1998)
    Hip-Hop Independents Day 1 (1998)
    Hip-Hop Independents Day 2 (1999)
    World's Famous Beat Junkies 1(1997)
    World's Famous Beat Junkies 2( 1998)
    World's Famous Beat Junkies 3 1999)
    Streets Of Zoo York (1996)

PM me for more titles,those are the one's that come to mind right now..

I believe all of these are on AMAZON.com

Good luck!

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    check my latest mix
    http://rapidshare.com/files/78983282/Backtotheunderground.mp3

01.Intro
    02.People Without Shoes - Green Shoe Laces
    03.Lifty & Menage - Escape From Belize
    04.Calhoun - Anotha Banga
    05.Hillfiguzes - Pain
    06.Az - Your World Dont Stop Spunk Bigga Remix
    07.War Click - Bullet For A Bullet
    08.DNA - My Shit Iz Tight
    09.2Rude feat. Darkman - Iz You
    10.Remedy - I've Seen It All
    11.Concrete Click - Where You At?
    12.Posneg - South Bronx
    13.One Deep - Crimestories
    14.Cover - Underground Flow Remix
    15.J-Force - Bullseye
    16.100x - Beyond The Door Radio Mix
    17.Trybal Men - Greenary
    18.Mike Zoot - Bassickly
    19.S.O.P. - Bok Bok
    20.Finsta Bundy - Bomb Shit

my man phil aka dj handjob's(no pun)latest mix
    (i have more from him..also a rip from a mixtape he gave me:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/82704087/mixtape_handjob.mp3

for more mixes check also alkuttraz blog :
    www.alkuttraz.blogspot.com

i think someone cant define a indie "classic" everyone has their own

i for once like stuff from sparrow , brainwash 2000, concrete click, blackmajik and so on.. too much to mention!
    sadly shit goes for too much loot nowadays

• Are we talkin about mixes or just groups, or what? this dude Jaz [username from an old board] put together some really good comps on CD called "Run Da Jewelz". i think i have like 10 of em, i remember there was a lot.

if you're talking about tapes with the same feel as that Reality Check, peep what Hoosier Daddy posted. also if you can get your hands on any old X-Men tapes, those were all hittin. i still have most the Roc Raida ones, but those will not get the digitizing...sorry

you mean jaz from new zealand? if yes he has a blog

coldrockdaspot.blogspot.com

• yeah him...didn't know he had a blog, wait, i think i did...

• i'm selling a lot of that stuff right now actually on ebay

unloadingzone

ah thats you! hope i can get that half a mill

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    i'm selling a lot of that stuff right now actually on ebay

unloadingzone

^^^ANTICON 4 DAYZ^^^

• There are so many great ones out there. Haven't done an online search to see if they're still available anywhere, but for what it's worth, here are some of tapes I was into for a minute:

The Eddie Ill and DL Series
    The Bazooka Joe Series
    DJ Camilo and Spin-One
    DJ Riz
    DJ Unknown

unloadingzone

^^^ANTICON 4 DAYZ^^^

1). BID WITH CONFIDENCE HOMIE!

2). I also got early Massmen/C.V.E. schitt.

I've never seen the word "classics" get beat, battered, and totally abused as much as I've seen in this thread...and I sense it's just getting started.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    I know what you mean, but it's relative, and is easier and sounds better than saying 'looking for info on non-shit indie hip hop acts'! Heaven knows there is a lot of shit to sift through, and I didn't expect this to be a long list anyway.

thanks guys for all the input, checking that stuff out right now!

Finsta Bundy.....apart from the one on Premiers thing, I don't know any of their stuff, it was hard to get where I lived. Did they have any other good 12"s?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

unloadingzone

FINSTA BUNDY!

DA GREAT DEITY DAH!

Weren't you supposedly doing a mix of the "good" records from that scene awhile back? Couldn't find 50 minutes worth?

I've never seen the word "classics" get beat, battered, and totally abused as much as I've seen in this thread...and I sense it's just getting started.

Plaese school us on the multitude of Project Blowed classics.

unloadingzone

FINSTA BUNDY!

DA GREAT DEITY DAH!

Weren't you supposedly doing a mix of the "good" records from that scene awhile back? Couldn't find 50 minutes worth?

We did, we just never put it out. Damn, that was like 4 years ago.

Plaese school us on the multitude of Project Blowed Wreckshop[/b] classics.

• pacmanpacman 1,114 Posts

unloadingzone

There's quite a few here I'd bid on....The Centaur?

I don't get it. I have no personal affiliation with Wreckshop. I might have aided them by indirectly promoting their shit, but it's not like I drove out to Leimert Park/Good Life to jock fools in person.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

I don't get it. I have no personal affiliation with Wreckshop. I might have aided them by indirectly promoting their shit, but it's not like I drove out to Leimert Park/Good Life to jock fools in person.

No mushroom tea moves?

what file is this? i downloaded it it was 35megs..no rar or zip..

Why do you assume that if I mention Wreckshop that it's some counter-jab at you?

It wasn't...at all.

It was just me simply saying that at this point I'd rather talk about classic Wreckshop 12"s than I would Project Blowed 12"s.

Sheesh.

And what's up with this assertion that I drove to LA just to go to the Good Life?

I drove to Santa Barbara to move into a place with an old friend of mine from when I used to live in Huntington Beach. And trust me I was chasing surfing aspirations (El Nino '94) long before anything related to rap. Unfortunately, I found out when I got to SB that old dude didn't have his shit together and the plan changed from there.

But man, you have this most annoying penchant for reinterpretting just about anything that you hear I do into some twisted fantasy of yours where I somehow end up looking like your old clown-in-yellow-bubble-goose-in-Texas-in-the-summer, jocking-the-fuck-out-of-artists-in-the-worst way, fake-NYC-accent-having, white-but-n-word-using running partner T-Bone.

For once and for all...no, dude...you can't pin that shit on me.

That's how YOUR folks roll. You relate to that kind of shit because you used to be friends with that kind of shit. I definitely can't relate to that shit and as a result T-Bone and I were like oil and water.

Anyway...I'm not myself, nor have I ever been tight with anyone, who fits the description that you have seemingly spent the past decade formulating, obsessing over, and applying to me in the most stalkerish and inappropriate manner.

You don't know me...so please stop pretending to know me.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    And what's up with this assertion that I drove to LA just to go to the Good Life?

I drove to Santa Barbara to move into a place with an old friend of mine from when I used to live in Huntington Beach. And trust me I was chasing surfing aspirations (El Nino '94) long before anything related to rap. Unfortunately, I found out when I got to SB that old dude didn't have his shit together and the plan changed from there.

But man, you have this most annoying penchant for reinterpretting just about anything that you hear I do into some twisted fantasy of yours where I somehow end up looking like your old clown-in-yellow-bubble-goose-in-Texas-in-the-summer, jocking-the-fuck-out-of-artists-in-the-worst way, fake-NYC-accent-having, white-but-n-word-using running partner T-Bone.

That's how YOUR folks roll. You relate to that kind of shit because you used to be friends with that kind of shit. I definitely can't relate to that shit and as a result T-Bone and I were like oil and water.

Anyway...I'm not myself, nor have I ever been tight with anyone, who fits the description that you have seemingly spent the past decade formulating, obsessing over, and applying to me in the most stalkerish and inappropriate manner.

oh shit! LOLZ!

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    old clown-in-yellow-bubble-goose-in-Texas-in-the-summer, jocking-the-fuck-out-of-artists-in-the-worst way, fake-NYC-accent-having, white-but-n-word-using running partner T-Bone.
    9 in-the-backpack-totin

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

dunno bout classic, but some joints I fox wit:
    Citizen Kane - Blackrain
    Da Grassroots - Price Of Livin'
    Down To Erf - Learn To Earn
    Black Attack - My Crown b/w Correct Technique
    Funkghost - The Fabulous
    The Grouch - Simple Man, Wish You A Good Day
    L. The Head Toucha - Too Complex
    Missin' Linx - M.I.A.
    Group Home & Brain Sick - East New York Theory
    Mr. Voodoo - Shine feat. A-Butta, L-Swift & Essence
    Natural Resource - Bum Deal
    Erule - Listen Up
    Krondon - The Rules

That's interesting, because I hear this directly from you. You wore that shit around like a merit badge and spat it out ad hoc as overwhelming proof of your realness over anyone else.

I drove to Santa Barbara to move into a place with an old friend of mine from when I used to live in Huntington Beach. And trust me I was chasing surfing aspirations (El Nino '94) long before anything related to rap.

Once again, the revisionist history of the carpetbagging one Archaic comes out. You change your story whenever convenient. "I'm from the bay/nola/texas/florida etc." Back then, claiming to have gone to Cali to follow your surf dreams would have gotten you clowned, so you hid that shit, plain and simple. How many times did we have to suffer through, "ever been to lemeirt park, huh?" as the end all conclusion of your (you and jules) hip hop realness 101 tirades.

Do I gotta get dudes to log back onto here to make you look stupid? Didn't you get enough of that already?

oh jeezus, where to start with this shit.. Not that I have to defend my friend, but fuck... Aaron was raised in Boston and Providence, RI. Because you can't differentiate the accents, don't act like dude just got on that shit after going to UT, he talked like that before and still talks like that today. I'll give it up for the fashion mistakes that he might have made, but other than that, you're just making this shit up. Jocking artists? uh ok... That's might Karl Rovian of you. To this day, I have never heard dude use the "n-word". That's some gay ass character assassination bullshit.

FYI, dude's last name is pronounced "T-Bo".. so to go from "T-bo" to "T-bone" is not a stretch, but to go from Robert to Rashid and try to pass yourself off and a non-white is a mega Frickin' lie. Especially when it was only used in writing and in instances where the reader would never have seen your hoody doody looking face in person.

Fuck, I know you well enough.

Seriously, your shit is tired.

• i can think of Bushwackas - "caught up in the game"
    that Buckwild production is

• BIG co-sign on World Famous Beat Junkies vol 1.

Also, The Rub's 95/96/97 editions of their airhorn worthy History of Hip-Hop series has a pretty nice selection of the kind of stuff you're talking about. Peep it here: http://feeds.feedburner.com/the-rub.

Back then, claiming to have gone to Cali to follow your surf dreams would have gotten you clowned, so you hid that shit, plain and simple.

Clowned by who? What are you talking about? Never in my life have I hidden my love for oceans, surfing, fishing, etc. Why would I ever need to hide it? What kind of person would require me to hide it? This is what I'm talking about, I can't even come close to relating to what you are projecting onto me most, if not all, of the time. You must be assuming that I only hang out with the most stringent of wannabe hip-hop people and their collective mores rule my life. Well, that's never been the case for me and it seems like yet another case of you projecting your own baggage onto me.

How many times did we have to suffer through, "ever been to lemeirt park, huh?" as the end all conclusion of your (you and jules) hip hop realness 101 tirades.

The main reason why you ever heard me say anything about Leimert Park was because when I got a call by your little crew telling me that they were going to report the goon squad raid by LAPD on Project Blowed on their radio show, they were referring to Leimert Park as "Lanier Park". I told them right then and there that it was Leimert and not Lanier Park...and those dumbasses decided to defer to what they thought a LA cop told them over the phone and went right ahead ahead and reported it as an occurence in "Lanier" Park. That is some straight fucktard shit right there...again, your boys.

So yeah, I'd rub it in their faces every now and then that not only did they ultimately get it wrong, but they also did so by trusting a cop over a civilian who at that time they had no reason to distrust.

Do I gotta get dudes to log back onto here to make you look stupid? Didn't you get enough of that already?

Rashied, Ronald McDonald, and a bunch of fantasy-laden lies are all any of you have on me. So have at it all you want.

oh jeezus, where to start with this shit.. Not that I have to defend my friend, but fuck... Aaron was raised in Boston and Providence, RI. Because you can't differentiate the accents, don't act like dude just got on that shit after going to UT, he talked like that before and still talks like that today. I'll give it up for the fashion mistakes that he might have made, but other than that, you're just making this shit up. Jocking artists? uh ok... That's might Karl Rovian of you. To this day, I have never heard dude use the "n-word". That's some gay ass character assassination bullshit.

However you want to slice it, dude was a walking embarrassment. And now that I think about it...he was really the reason for the falling out that happened between myself and my prior friends Les and Kari. Dude annoyed me so much with his clown shit that I took some subliminal jabs at him and his dj friends in a column in Urb magazine and that what's got the ball rolling on the divisiveness. In retrospect, I wish I would have handled it another way so as not to have spoiled things with Les and Kari...but then again, fuck it...y'all were the ones, and noone else, who used to reinforce T-Bone for his overacting and overcompensation.

It's commendable of you to have stuck up for you folks the way you did back then. But you have only ever done so in the most jackass of ways. I thought you had given up on such endeavors years ago, but here we are again.