Why Don't You Do Right Appreciation

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
You had plenty money, 1922You let other women make a fool of youWhy don't you do right, like some other men do?Get out of here and get me some money tooYou're sittin' there and wonderin' what it's all aboutYou ain't got no money, they will put you outWhy don't you do right, like some other men do?Get out of here and get me some money tooIf you had prepared twenty years agoYou wouldn't be a-wanderin' from door to doorWhy don't you do right, like some other men do?Get out of here and get me some money tooI fell for your jivin' and I took you inNow all you got to offer me's a drink of ginWhy don't you do right, like some other men do?Get out of here and get me some money tooWhy don't you do right, like some other men do?Like some other men do Great tune.This poast was brought about by Pat Bowie "Feelin' Good" LP on Prestige, where she, Charles McPherson, Al Hall, Osie Johnson and Tommy Flanagan bang out a superb take on the tune.And then, yes, I youtube'd the Jessica Rabbit version!What's your favorite version?

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts

And then, yes, I youtube'd the Jessica Rabbit version!

haha This movie blew my mind when I first saw it at age 7.

• HamHam 872 Posts
    What's your favorite version?

mark murphy! so good.

• [color: green]What's your favorite version? [/color]

Lil Green

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Lil Green

co-sign. Had this version on some budget blues comp cassette
    back in my teens, that formed the basis of much of my blues love,
    before it disintegrated after 789,001 listens.

• And don't forget the Sanford & Son episode (I forget which one) where Redd Foxx is seen singing this tune around the house...

• What's your favorite version?

mark murphy! so good.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I was thinking Betty Boop had sung it, but I think I was really thinking of Jessica Rabbit.

There is a nice Johnny Otis version from the 70s or 80s. Might be on Alligator or Flying Fish. Duet.

• I was thinking Betty Boop had sung it, but I think I was really thinking of Jessica Rabbit.

You're not far off. Betty has a cameo:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    What's your favorite version?

mark murphy! so good.

Have not heard. I'm not a big Mark Murphy fan (please don't ban). I'm interested to hear how a guy would sing this song.

• There's at least one instrumental version by the Ramsey Lewis Trio, where it's speeded up with a bossa-nova beat.

• What's your favorite version?

mark murphy! so good.

Have not heard. I'm not a big Mark Murphy fan (please don't ban). I'm interested to hear how a guy would sing this song.

It's really early Mark Murphy. If you're not a fan of his later, more "ornate" style this won't bug you. It swings. Real big with the Mod scene.

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    lil green without a doubt