German vinyl anyone?

AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
edited February 2008 in Strut Central
All the kids have been asking for German vinyl. Anyone know what's good? Best spots to score some deals? This market is just waiting to be tapped.

Comments

• Is that like 180 gram virgin vinyl or something? Is it a different kind of pressing. I'm not familiar. Sounds cool. Please let me know when deals are to be had. I love vinyls, so any new ones would be appreciated, especially if they are special ones.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    yup, 180 gram

• cool. Is that a new thing? Should I be asking for German pressings now? Are they better quality? Like audiophile good? I like to listen to vinyls on my headphones. I bought some expensive $80 headphones and they make everything sound so warm and lush. I'd love to get some german vinyl running through those babies.

I don't if it's exactly what you should be looking out for, but some of the young hipster college kids are into German vinyl, prob bc it's a novelty. As far as I know, the heavier 180 gram vinyl is considered audiophile material.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    What if it's from neighboring Austria? Similar, or no?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Paging Grope...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

BAN.

And keep your German vinyls separate from the rest of your vinyls, or before you know it, they're annexing your 7" boxes and signing mutual non-aggression pacts with your bookshelves (which they later intend to break, but only after the conquest of your coffee table is complete).

• I had to go to sleep, so i couldn't post for the last 8 hours or so. Has the market been tapped? Did I miss out on some info?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

BAN.

And keep your German vinyls separate from the rest of your vinyls, or before you know it, they're annexing your 7" boxes and signing mutual non-aggression pacts with your bookshelves (which they later intend to break, but only after the conquest of your coffee table is complete).

All I know about German vinyl is that a lot of the classic 88-era rap LPs were produced by BMG in Germany and were often better than the US pressings.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Prob has its similarities, but not the same thing. German is the thing I'm looking for here.

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts

Prob has its similarities, but not the same thing. German is the thing I'm looking for here.

Some of those older records are from East Germany. I assume they're not as good as a typical West German pressing, but I haven't had an opportunity to play them side by side...

• Options
    yeah i been getting some good stuff on german.

aoh yeah;

Almond

yeah i been getting some good stuff on german.

aoh yeah;

Almond

[color:red] this is what I'm talking about [/color]

• Options
    Off topic a bit but can I get on this dutch pressing:

thanks in advance.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

BAN.

This nearly made me fall out of my chair, funniest thing I've read all day. Thanks.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I had a budget german label best of Otis Redding LP that had a picture of Marvin Gaye on the cover instead of Otis, that was pretty odd.

Almond - do you mean German pressings of non-German LPs or actual LPs by German artists??

Off topic a bit but can I get on this dutch pressing:

thanks in advance.

is that an authentic autograph, lilmonstu? this looks like something those ruthless record collecting space monkeys would harass you for. According to my light e-browsing, the record itself is worth $20-30 depending on condition. But I dunno how much autographs from The King himself go for. Maybe a few hundred?

I had a budget german label best of Otis Redding LP that had a picture of Marvin Gaye on the cover instead of Otis, that was pretty odd.

Almond - do you mean German pressings of non-German LPs or actual LPs by German artists??

German pressings

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    This thread is

• picked up some German vinyls from my favorite local vinyls store. Wow!!! Playing these in my expensive headphones right now and I'm like "this is how music should be heard!" Dare I say more true to the real recording.

+ +

Market ain't tapped yet, but best believe I'll do my best to tap it. I asked a friend of mine who's really into rare vinyls like me and he said to try to add .de to the end of some websites and see if i can come up with any vinyls. I'm crossing my fingers.

Spracken Ze Vinyls!!!!!!!!!!!!

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts
    I don't know much about the subject, but I will say that the German pressing of Original Popcorn is quite nice.

• Options
    Almond

I will trade you this Dutch LP if you let me secret stash of market info you got!!

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    germany has PINK records too.................

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    The only German pressed record I have is James Brown's "Ain't It Funky". You can still hear JB's vocals bleeding through the guitar solo overdubs. I don't know if that's also the case with the regular US pressing, though.

Almond

I will trade you this Dutch LP if you let me secret stash of market info you got!!

Dutch is not German. My market data is

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    picked up some German vinyls from my favorite local vinyls store. Wow!!! Playing these in my expensive headphones right now and I'm like "this is how music should be heard!" Dare I say more true to the real recording.

+ +

Market ain't tapped yet, but best believe I'll do my best to tap it. I asked a friend of mine who's really into rare vinyls like me and he said to try to add .de to the end of some websites and see if i can come up with any vinyls. I'm crossing my fingers.

Spracken Ze Vinyls!!!!!!!!!!!!

And dare I mention the holiest of grails, HOT STAMPER GERMAN VINYLS[/b]

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    German vinyll is bestt. Sat's forr schur'! Iff you fint some, let me no. I only hert about it. Nefer seen any over here. Good to no sat hipsters over sere in se US like it. It's riallie spezial. I svear!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Anyone that knows about German cars? People keep asking me about it. Are there any good ones?